Dust mites, cleaning, folding laundry | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Dust mites, cleaning, folding laundry

Last post Feb 22, 2009 6:53 PM by cooking71 . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • Dust mites, cleaning, folding laundry

Remember that post about washing towels?  It amazed me that folks separated kitchen towels vs. bath towels.  Seriously, where's the logic?  Hot water kills them.  I can understand if towel colors are different but if they aren't I kept waiting for someone to explain the logic... someone mentioned dust mites.  Well, I finally looked it up tonight.  http://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/20070521/hot-water-removes-allergens-best

I saw someone's post today *Where to you fold clothes* and read a few folks do so on the couch/bedding.*  So do you fold on the couch/bedding after you have vacuumed them because of the dust mites?  Confused

If you have cloth furniture how often do you vacuum it?

False
  • Re: Dust mites, cleaning, folding laundry

I usually fold the clothes at the kitchen table as the breakfast nook and laundry room share a wall.

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

Another obvious key point would be what is your hot water temperature set at?
    False

I try to fold mine as they come out of the dryer (otherwise some large child will come along and STUFF them into a basket.)

Linda you're looking to present logic - that never works!Coffee

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

linda63

When I did the majority of the cleaning, it was every week.  Now that my husband does it,  hopefully he's following the same schedule, but I highly doubt it.  I can tell when floors and bathrooms haven't been done, but its damned near impossible to check furniture vacuuming.  

We don't wash in as hot of water as recommended, but we do have 2 cold rinse cycles as a standard.   Hopefully that works as well as they say.

False

linda63

I saw someone's post today *Where to you fold clothes* and read a few folks do so on the couch/bedding.*  So do you fold on the couch/bedding after you have vacuumed them because of the dust mites?  Confused

I vacuum the sofa back maybe every other week and under the cushions less than that.  Haven't thought of dust mites; I'm looking more for dust and crumbs/coins/pens.   BTW when I fold on the couch, more piles are on the coffee table than the couch.

140o ???  I think our hot water heater is set to 120o.  Isn't that what they suggest especially if you have children?  Does bleach help kill those mites?  Even on the darker towels, I still use at least a little bleach?

False
    Click for San Dimas, California Forecast

Dust mites are all over your house.   Lots of them.   Hey,  who else you gonna get to chow down on those flakes of skin you're constantly shedding?  lol.  Mites are everywhere.   You've got them cleaning up your eyelashes at this very moment.  lol. 

"To every thing there is a season and a purpose."   Wink

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

Widdle_NY

Dust mites are all over your house.   Lots of them.   Hey,  who else you gonna get to chow down on those flakes of skin you're constantly shedding?  lol.  Mites are everywhere.   You've got them cleaning up your eyelashes at this very moment.  lol. 

LOL EWWWWW!

I can remember having a water bed & someone telling me that all the 'dust' on the rubber mattress was actually dead skinIck!

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

sstetzel
    all the 'dust' on the rubber mattress was actually dead skinIck!

Fine cuisine dining for the dust mites,  Sue!  lol.

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

Widdle_NY

sstetzel
    all the 'dust' on the rubber mattress was actually dead skinIck!

Fine cuisine dining for the dust mites,  Sue!  lol.

Mother's little helpers ... saves on vacuum cleaner/laundry time!

I don't get what's the big deal about dust mites.  Seems all the harm they might do is cause an occasional 100 mph sneeze  Wink

False

This was a little bit interesting.  I am so busy I am actually lucky if I get the wash done period.  I was everything in warm water.  Towels, when the kid's (male teenagers) towels finally make it down to the laundry...toss all towels (bath, kitchen, etc) in the washer with HOT water, detergent, bleach.  Sheets?  Same thing, minus the bleach.  I have no time, nor energy to worry about dust mites.  Besides, I've been told dust mites don't live here in Colorado.  Don't know if that's true or not.

My one son is highly allergic to everything.  ONE thing his allergist told me not to worry about was dust mites.  Mold, maybe, but not dust mites.  Thank God.  I am such a putz, my family is happy is I just the the laundry done within 5 days!

Man, that just made me sound like an inconsiderate mother.  I am not.  It's just I never worried about "dust mites"  Never bothered my highly allergic son.  Now weeding the garden or mowing the lawn or just being outside..he just is incapacitated if he tries!

False

2bmwmom
    its damned near impossible to check furniture vacuuming.  

LOL...get yourself a dog or a cat...no room for doubt!

False
    Photobucketsm peace Photobucket

LOL  at this post. I just do the best I can.

False

janicestar

LOL  at this post. I just do the best I can.

LOL, me too, Janice, me too!  Smile

False
    Photobucketsm peace Photobucket

dustmites1.jpg

False