I received this in an email from a friend:
A high school student had pancakes and it almost became fatal. His Mom(registered nurse) made him pancakes, dropped him off at school and headed to play tennis. She never takes her cell phone on the court but did this time and her son called to say he was having trouble breathing. She told him to go to the nurse immediately and proceeded to call school and alert the nurse.. The nurse called the paramedics and they were there in 3 minutes and worked on the boy all the way to the hospital. He came so close to dying.
Evidently this is more common then I ever knew. Check the expiration dates on packages like pancakes and cake mixes that have yeast which over time develop spores. Apparently, the mold that forms in old mixes can be toxic!
Throw away ALL OUTDATED pancake mix, Bisquick, brownie mixes etc you have in your home.
You can check this website.......
P. S. You might want to tell this to your children, grandchildren, nephews, nieces and anyone else who keeps these types of mixes in the cupboard.
I keep my pancake and bisquick in the fridge.
Be sure to go to Snopes and READ what it says before you panic! This person died of an allergic reaction to the mold. If you don't have an allergy to mold - you're fine.
Taste of Home Magazine
Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.
PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me firstname.lastname@example.org
Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.
© RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC 2014