Do you smell things that aren't there? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Do you smell things that aren't there?

Last post Apr 30, 2010 9:51 PM by july_leo1984 . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Do you smell things that aren't there?

For the last several months, I smell coffee - everywhere - in my car, in my bathroom, at work, outside. It's beginning to make me think that either I'm emitting a coffee odor or I'm hallucinating a smell that does not exist. Huh?

False
  • Re: Do you smell things that aren't there?
    Found this: Gustatory aura symptoms Migraine sufferers can experience illusions or hallucinations of taste as gustatory aura symptoms. The differential diagnosis of these symptoms includes temporal lobe epilepsy, now more commonly called complex partial seizure disorder, so that a neurological examination is warranted in each case presenting with such gustatory symptoms. Gustatory illusions "I used to smell things that weren't there and have things taste funny, too. This was back when my migraines were much worse. One night I was repeatedly awoken by the smell of freshly ground coffee. The smell was so strong I thought I might go crazy. It had disappeared by morning. [The migraine aura symptom experienced by the sufferer in this night was an olfactory hallucination, see here.] Once I ate a piece of pizza that tasted like blueberries. It was such a curious sensation that I just kept eating it! But the pork chop that tasted like clorox bleach I set aside for half an hour, after which it tasted like pork again, and the cup of coffee that tasted like whiskey I threw out ... Ain't the brain a fascinating thing?"
    False
    Photobucket ♫ Della ♫

Do you drink coffee? Ive heard that people who eat a lot of onions and/or garlic emit an onion/garlic odor through their skin.

False

I drink coffee on the weekends. I've asked people if I smell diffferent because I wonder if it's me. They say no. I have had some headaches, but not migraines like I have had in the past. Maybe my sniffer if just going out on me.
    False

Every now and then I'll get a whiff of something that I know I didn't really smell. Homemade vanilla ice cream. My Grandma's bathroom. (It smelled of Vitalis. lol) Bayberry. The scent of a new disposable diaper.

False

zippo_mo
    Maybe my sniffer if just going out on me.

That can happen. My ex-dh had no sense of smell. He was born without it. If the headaches coincided with the odd coffee smell,maybe you should see a doctor.  Hope its nothing...maybe somebody is playing  a joke on you and you have a coffee bean hidden in your clothes or something...lol????

False

I once read that Stevie Wonder lost his sense of smell in a car accident.

False
    JenniHusker
    The scent of a new disposable diaper.
    Much better than the alternative lol.
    False
    Photobucket ♫ Della ♫

I've often been accused of smelling things that aren't there--but that's only because I have an extremely accute sense of smell and often smell stuff 2-3 minutes before those around me do.  Then, they suddenly say something to the effect, "Oh, NOW I smell it!" with surprise.

The only time I really smell stuff that isn't there is when I suddenly get a whiff of a very distinctive, repulsive smell that smells like a combo of cigar smoke, wet plaster and mold--if you see the post above....  For years, that's been my most common aura when I'm heading intoa migraine.

False

Hi Zippo!   Yes!  I smell things all the time that aren't there!   I'll get this strong smell of cigarette smoke and I haven't smoked in 11 years!   Sometimes I smell coffee too.  :)

One time I kept on smelling Dunkin Donuts!   I liked that one much better than the cigarette smoke...btw.   So,  I'm at the checkout in the grocery store (all cat food...no donuts) and I'm helping the kid put the cans in the bag and she keeps on sniffing the air.  lol.  So,  I ask her what she smells and she says to me "do you smell Dunkin Donuts?"  lol. 

What's that smell?

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

Yes, I get a smokey smell a lot.  I read somewhere that it could be a vitamin diffeciency.  Also the migraine thing sounds interesting.  I get the eye aurora sometimes associated with migraines but without the headach.

False

I have the nose of a bloodhound.  I always say I should get a job as a drug/bomb sniffer, LOL

DH makes fun of me when I smell something icky.  He says, "That's your upper lip!".  

At least your smell is pleasant, like coffee.

False

Ohhhhh "I smell dead people...and their everywhere!"  Something lead me to believe all of you are posting from the local state hospital.

False
    Child of Bodoom
    Something lead me to believe all of you are posting from the local state hospital.
    Lol! I'd like to refer you to the Crust in my Pie Pants thread (she said, beaming) :D
    False
    Photobucket ♫ Della ♫