Door Bell rings...11:30pm...... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Door Bell rings...11:30pm......

Last post Jan 25, 2012 10:50 PM by Catmint_WV_49F . 23 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 12
  • Door Bell rings...11:30pm......

Last night the doorbell rang at 11:30pm.  Everyone was asleep. The dog jumped when he heard it. I said to a family member did you hear the doorbell. They said yes. The family member checked one door and I checked the other door.  You just never know why the door bell rings at that hour. Someone could be hurt, the police come to tell you bad news,  a family member needs you, a neighbor needs help,there are endless things run quickly through your mind, when you hear a door bell at that hour.

A family member went outside looked around, even checked the inside of vehicles. The dog went with the family member. Never acted like anyone was around. I went out later again and looked around. NO ONE WAS THERE!!  And there was no where to really hide if someone was there.

WEIRD!! The family member unhooked the doorbell. I layed awake for a while. Keep looking outside. Then finally doozed in and out of sleep until morning. We know years ago some children who are adults now would do it to an elderly gentlemen down the road at 2 am. After several times of doing it. The elderly gentlemen stayed up the next night and caught them in the act. I don't know what all prevailed. But the family member and I was talking about that after last nights doorbell ringing.

What is weird is to see no one at all. When the doorbell rings. Anyone every have this happen?

False
  • Re: Door Bell rings...11:30pm......
    Shortly after I'd moved into a house about 15 years ago, I was awakened at 1:30 a.m. with someone banging on the front door. My children were asleep, and I was the only adult there. I'm too short to see out of the high windows that were in the front door, so I kept asking who was there. I could have sworn he was saying "gas man", and I was thinking, WTH??? I finally was able jump high enough to see out the window and see the deputy's patch on his uniform. I opened the door thinking the worst, and the two deputies asked if Mr. X lived there. I told them no, they asked if I knew where he lived. I opened the door and pointed next door, then asked if they had any idea how badly they'd scared me. They were just trying to pick him up on a warrant, and I found out later he hadn't lived at his parents' house next door in ages! When I told them about it, the man called the Sheriff and reamed him out about it, because he'd already told them the son didn't live there, and now they'd been waking the neighbors up because they didn't know where they were going. It scared the bejeesus outta me! Oh, and another time, in that same house, someone knocked on the door at 1:15 a.m. I opened the door to find a very scared 15 year old girl standing there asking to use my phone because she'd been in a car wreck. While she was on the phone I heard a noise on the porch and opened the door back to find her two companions coming up, one helping the other to walk. Found out later he had a broken vertebra in his back, and he'd walked about 1/4 of a mile to get to my house! He walked in the door and collapsed in the living room floor! Turns out I knew his mother, so I called her and his stepdad. I had the police there, ambulance and then parents streaming in. Didn't get much sleep that night.
    False

One of my neighbors said that a year or so before I moved in to this house the young man next door was a teenager. He and a friend were going around about 4 in the morning ringing doorbells. They didn't know that the one neighbor (the one telling me the story) got up at that time to go to work early. He saw them going across the yard. He got a shotgun and went out the back door. He circled around through the small patch of woods and saw them at another neighbor's house ringing the doorbell. He suddenly let out a fighting yell and then shot up in the air. He said those two boys hit the ground. About time they stood up he yelled and shot again in the air. The boys were running so hard for their house, they ran into the side of the house! as in BAM into the side of the house.

False

enjoynature
    When the doorbell rings.

Girl- get someone to put in a viewer in the door that you can see through!  People get killed for opening locked doors to unknown people who do it for kicks!

BFC's siggy says a lot...

False
    LMAO Pat! I bet they had to clean their unders when they got home too! Even though we feel safe where we live, if someone knocked on our door in the middle of the night, we would have a pistol in our hands when we answered the door. You just never know anymore.
    False

Treehuggin...you made me think of a story that happened a couple years ago. I seen a strange car parked at the one neighbors house midway near there driveway. It was weird how it was parked as I drove by. The neighbor who lived there before was into drugs and other trouble. The new neighbor was a police officer. I told the neighbor about seeing this strange car there the one day when I was driving by. The neighbor told me with him being a police officer it has been very intersting since he has moved in. He said with the old occupant being into drugs and other trouble, there has been all kind of people who have knocked on his door at all hours of the day and night. He said he has instantly caught a lot of people who came knocking at the door. Not realizing the new occupant was a police officer and the old occupant had moved out. Making there knocking, causing there life instant problems, with an arrest.

False

My DD had occurances of someone knocking on the side of her house (no doorbell) about midnight a few times. Once her DH was out of town and his brother was spending the night and he also heard it. One night she heard it again and got her pistol and tried to fire it but it was jammed. One thing she noticed was her neighbor's daughter and boyfriend was always at her neighbor's house and would leave shortly after the "knocking".  she believed it was some misguided prank on their part and all that quit when the neighbor moved out of the neighborhood. Someone could have gotten killed if that gun had fired.

False

treehuggin , your story gave me a good laugh "BAM into the house".  ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 short stories about doorbells-

1.)our son works the night shift.  He had  left for work about an hour 1/2   to 2 hours.  He leaves early in case of problems on the way.  Well, we locked up for the night (including the storm door which has no key).  Our other son was in his room in the back (WE THOUGHT) banging on something in his room to his music, played loudly.  We kept hearing this banging and I kept yelling for him to "CUT IT OUT" and go to bed.  It was late.  He yells back "it's not me it's somebody outside".   Well, then the front doorbell rings and I freaked thinking our other son had been in an accident and it was the police or something.  It was our son who misread his schedule and went to work on the wrong night.  They told him to come on back home.  Scared a few years off of me

2.)My FIL NEVER used the doorbelll but would BANG on the house of any of us that he went to visit.  Well after he died I talked to my SIL who lives on the next block.  They had put in a doorbell that you could program for one type of music or it could play different types.  She said MANY times their doorbell would ring with NOBODY there.  She said they checked the bell and it was set to ONLY 1 song but it would skip to different songs on its own.  She finally turned it off, unplugged it and never used it again.  She said it might be FIL who finally figured out to use the doorbell.  LOL!

False

We had a knock at the door one night--very late. DH and I were in bed. When I saw it was the police I panicked that something awful had happened. I answered the door in a cold sweat and the two officers came in. They askef for Mr. So and so and I said, he doesn't live here, don't know him etc.,

Then I said, OK, so my kids are OK? and he said, I guess so

I'm like, you aren't here with bad news?,,, he is like, well we want Mr. So and so...after about five times of, he doesn't live here, but my kids are OK?, they finally give up and leave.

Then it freaked me out because they sat in front of our house for an hour. I said to dh, I don't think they believe us that we are the only ones here and we don't know Mr. so and so.

False
     Photobucket

3Magnolias...Believe me I asked the family member with me last night. If it could have been a spirit knocking. I thought instantly of a family member. May sound weird to some. But if you have encountered somethings like I have spirit wise, then you would have thought it too. Especially when no one is there and you hear the knocking.

False

Those late night knocks on the door can be very disturbing and unsettling ! This happened when I was just a kid at my parents home. It was late maybe 1;00 in the morning and the knocking was at our back door, so loud that it woke everyone up!  My parents home was way out in the country down a long lane with timber in the back.  A teenage couple was parked in the timber way back from our house and they where on a date and had been parked and I guess necking ( that is what my Mom said!LOL)  and their car wouldn't start!  She asked to call her dad because they were having car trouble.  My Mom was so mad and had this ha ha you have been busted look on her face!   I never forgot that, she was so pretty and very popular high school student.in our town and her dad was a very well to do Doctor and I knew this secret about her! Stick out tongue

Molly

False

Probably teens or some kid having a sleepover and nothing to do, we called it Ding,Dong,Ditch. Ring the bell & hide in the bushes. I did it as a kid but never that late. Teens also like to toilet paper your house too.  

False

In Nov of '07 a week before thanksgiving I heard a knock on the back door at 1:30 and saw the patio light on. Woke up a hard of hearing DH and by the time we got to the back door the light was off, person gone. So I looked out the front window and saw someone across the street at the neighbor's front door but beings our house sits below the street level and it was very stormy out I couldn't tell who it could have been over there. A single lady lives there with two teenage daughters. The person left and walked past our house down the hill and I thought it must be a lady from the way she was walking at which point I called 911 and asked for the sheriff to come out. Went back to bed, heard a car out front and went to the window again. This time I saw tail lights in the driveway and someone at the front door again running their hand over the door frame and then went down the porch steps to a window and opened it up and proceeded to climb in. I thought, Michelle must be terrified...called 911 again while DH continued to watch. While I was talking to the 911 operator DH says, I think it is the sheriff over there to which I replied...what the heck is the deputy crawing through the window for? The operator thought I was talking to him and said, I don't know but there is definately a deputy in the area, do you want me to have him talk to you? Yes I sure do!  The car drives down the road, comes back and into our driveway and he comes to the front door. Seems there was a lady....I think it was proberably Michelle's mother....house sitting and she went out to her car to get something and locked herself out. Poor thing was walking all over the place knocking on doors trying to get help and no one would answer. That's exactly what the police want you to do....never open the door or even answer them, just call 911.

Another time I saw the patio light on in the middle of the night, looked out the back door window and saw a shadow coming past the wood pile, then a man with a flashlight. I was so startled for a second or two I couldn't move.,..I really thought it was a raccoon or cat. Called 911 and then went into the bedroom to wake up hard of hearing DH...this guy sleeps through everything exciting...lol and saw the guy and his flashlight go into our shop. Wouldn't you know that was the one night we forgot to lock the side door. At that point the phone rang and the 911 operator said it isn't a prowler it's the sheriff and he wants to talk to you. Well, I want to talk to him too!! He came to the door and asked us if we had seen or heard anything or anybody out back or if we had had any young men staying with us because their dog...which I never saw...got several "hits" in our yard so I assume they were after someone. We live in a semi rural area, not a residential neighborhood with woods, ect so if someone wants to hide in the middle of the night it's easy. He left and we saw two or three flashlights down at the neighbor's yard...their house sits way back from the road so we can see down there pretty well during the winter months. The phone rings again...we were back in bed by this time....and it's the deputy again. Are you sure there hasn't been any young men or boys in your back yard, our dog really likes you back yard. Well I can't help that, the answer is no....again. I never asked him what the guy had done as I wanted to go to sleep and not worry about a murderer or something prowling around. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Over the years we have had ots ;of people banging on the door late at night...accidents, drunks, ran out of gas, ect. I no longer answer as it is just too dangerous now days to do so.

Sorry this was so long.

Liz

False

sissel...where I live, if someone toilet papers, corn, or eggs your house, and they are caught. They will face the law and will need a lawyer.

False

Well, hate to toss cold water on all the exotic theories here--but there could be a very simple solution.  We used to have a doorbell that would ring when no one was there now and then.  After it happened a few times--AND a few people told us they'd stopped over and we didn't answer the door--we realized that the button for the bell sometimes (not always, though) stuck, and hours later it would release, the bell would ring, we'd answer the door, and no one would be there.   Of course, we didn't realize what the problem was immediately, so it happened a few times, before we caught on and replaced the ringer thing.

False