Obama's Mother Baptized as a Mormon... Posthumously! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Obama's Mother Baptized as a Mormon... Posthumously!

Last post May 05, 2009 10:04 PM by gr_elo . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Obama's Mother Baptized as a Mormon... Posthumously!

This is just too creepy! I've seen the rumors for the past week -- didn't believe it -- but now the truth is out on ABC News and a Provo, Utah newspaper are confirming:

President Obama's Mother Improperly Baptized as a Mormon... Posthumously

May 05, 2009 6:53 PM

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints confirmed Tuesday afternoon that someone improperly, posthumously baptized the late mother of President Obama into the Mormon faith.

Last June 4 -- the day after then-Sen. Obama secured enough delegates to win the Democratic presidential nominee -- someone had the president's mother Stanley Ann Dunham, who died in 1995 of cancer, baptized.

On June 11, she received the sacrament.

The White House had no comment.

I don't know, but I don't think for a minute that President Obama isn't furious about this. How would he not be offended? This is just way beyond twisted and demented. Although, I suppose the silver lining is watching the radical religious right implode...  something we should encourage. 

False

"Wit is educated insolence." Aristotle

• Re: Obama's Mother Baptized as a Mormon... Posthumously!

"someone" baptized her? That is a strange name. They know who it is.

How freakin stupid.

False

May you never forget to remember what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.                                                                                         

Didn't you know that the Mormon's baptize every person whose name they can find? At least all the dead ones that they can find.

False
    Ann

How do you baptise a dead person?

I can't recall, but wasn't his mom Catholic? Does the LDS  just ignore the person and their familiy... like it's just a number count... high score wins a Free Weekend Getaway?

False

"Wit is educated insolence." Aristotle

I think that is normal for the Morman Church.

Elizabeth

False

justyouandme20002001

I think that is normal for the Morman Church.

That's what I have heard. When my cousin found a lot of family records we saw where many had been baptised in the Mormon Church, some long after their death. As far as we know we don't have any Mormon's in our family, but someone had to take it upon themselves to baptise so many.

False

The church has done it for well over 100 years.

Baptism for the dead, vicarious baptism or proxy baptism is the religious practice of baptizing a living person on behalf of an individual who is dead; the living person is acting as the deceased person's proxy. So it is with this practice, an individual is baptized to give those beyond the grave the opportunity of baptism by proxy. It has been practiced since 1840 in the Latter Day Saint movement. The practice continues in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, where it is also called temple baptism because it is performed only in dedicated temples. Baptism for the dead is also practiced by several other current groups in the Latter Day Saint movement.

Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe that baptism is a prerequisite for entry into the kingdom of God as stated by Jesus in John 3:5: "Except that a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God" (KJV).

The LDS Church teaches that performing baptisms for the dead allows this saving ordinance to be offered to those who have died without accepting or knowing Jesus Christ or his teachings during their mortal lives. It is taught that this is the method by which all who have lived upon the earth will have the opportunity to receive baptism and to thereby enter the Kingdom of God. This concept is similar to but more specific than the idea of Anonymous Christians, posed by Karl Rahner.

The LDS Church teaches that those in the afterlife who have been baptized by proxy are free to accept or reject the ordinance done on their behalf. Baptism on behalf of a deceased individual is not binding if that individual chooses to reject it in the afterlife.[7][8]

Any member of the LDS church, male or female, who is at least 12 years old and holds a current temple recommend may act as a proxy in this ordinance. Men must also hold the Aaronic Priesthood prior to entering the temple. A man must act as proxy for a deceased man, and a woman must act as proxy for a deceased woman. The concept of a spiritual proxy is compared by some in the LDS Church to the belief that Jesus acted as proxy for every human when he atoned for the sins of the world.[9]

Only an adult male holder of the Melchizedek priesthood who has undergone the Endowment ordinance may baptize others as proxies for the dead.

here is the most important part about WHO can receive a temple baptism. it also explains why the Mormon church is the best source of your geneology today. 

The LDS church holds that deceased persons who have not accepted or had the opportunity to accept the gospel of Christ in this life will have the opportunity to accept the gospel in the afterlife. As all must follow Jesus Christ, they must also receive all the ordinances that a living person is expected to receive, including baptism. For this reason, members of the LDS Church are encouraged to seek out their genealogy. This genealogy research is then used as the basis of research in the Church's efforts to perform temple ordinances for as many deceased persons as possible. As a part of these efforts, Mormons have performed temple ordinances on behalf of a number of high profile people. Of particular interest are: the Founding Fathers of the U.S., Presidents of the U.S., John Wesley, Christopher Columbus, Adolf Hilter, and others.

While members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints consider it a great service to perform vicarious ordinances for the deceased, some non-members have taken offense. To be sensitive to the issue of proxy baptizing for non-Mormons that are not related to Church members, the Church in recent years has published a general policy of only performing temple ordinances for direct ancestors of Church members.

So the only question is did she have a relative who was mormon and who requested it. 

False

cooking71

So the only question is did she have a relative who was mormon and who requested it. 

If not,then thats just creepy. Its creepy anyway.

False

CREEPY!

False

What f the family of the deceased does not agree with this practice???

I would be a little POd of someone would or has baptized Red and  if they do it to me " I will never talk to them again"..........I don't  believe in heaven and I don't want to go to aplace I think does not exist

False