Wedding Check-Giving Question | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Wedding Check-Giving Question

Last post May 17, 2009 12:55 PM by Summer74 . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Re: Wedding Check-Giving Question

Having worked at a bank for many years, I would suggest John Smith or Jane Brown, or even John or Mary Smith.  If a woman has a check made out to her maiden name and she's changed to her husband's name (or vice versa--she's married but keeping her maiden name) she should still be able to cash checks made out either way as long as she has ID proving that both names are 'her'. Marriage license, DL, SS card--something that shows that she is both Jane Brown and Jane Smith. She may have the DL in one name and the SS card in another, but just to satisfy the teller.

The word 'or' is the more important part, I think. That way only one of them can cash it. People often put 'and' on there, and that can make things sticky depending on the bank's policy about 'and' checks; it techincally means both people have to endorse the check but some banks might even require both to be present, or even that both have accounts at that bank.

False
        I believe in God. Only I spell it N-a-t-u-r-e. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

When I send a check, it's before the wedding & usually addressed to the bride.  However, it seems like a lot of the times now, the couple is living together...I made the check out to:

Jane Brown or John Smith 

With the or I figure one or the other can cash it...never had anyone ask me to re-write a check...they always got cashed. 

False

Honestly I'd make it out to cash and on the memo line write in WEDDING GIFT FOR.........

False

gift card.....lol

yes I do know some of you all don't like sending them....

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Just my first and last name is fine, Summer. I'll send you my address to mail it to. LOL 

False