What plants love coffee or the grounds?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What plants love coffee or the grounds??

Last post Aug 19, 2012 6:26 PM by whiteflower_pa . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • What plants love coffee or the grounds??

I am talking outdoor plants and veggies.

I save all my coffee grounds for our worm box,rose bushes and hydrangias,blueberrie bush and strawberries....(btw,,strawberries look better then they ever have) but what other plants love it??

Could I dump these around my apple trees? Pumpkin and watermelons plants?

Do all veggie plants love this or no?

I just was hoping someone here could help me with luck they may have....without me going over to gardening..lol

I also get bags of grounds from Starbucks.

False
  • Re: What plants love coffee or the grounds??

I put mine on everything. Besides roses, I put it around my herbs and tomatoes, and I have pineapple plants that I add the grounds too also. I absolutely use them on everything.

If you Google "Used coffee grounds in the garden", you will get several good sites.

False

Rebecca

Everything I've read and heard about it lately says not to use coffee grounds around plants, because it's just too risky that they'd have negative effects. Too acidic. They're great to throw in the compost bin, though.

False
        I believe in God. Only I spell it N-a-t-u-r-e. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

This is off subject, but, Martha...how is  GNorman doing today?   He sure is looking chipper!  LOL

False

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf30819459.tip.html

Excerpt:

"First of all, not all acid-loving plants are created equal. Plants like Azaleas, gardenias, hydrangeas, roses, rhododendrons, and blueberries all seem to respond well when grounds are mixed in with their soil. Acid-loving African Violets, on the other hand, do not. Most edible garden crops also prefer slightly acidic soil, but adding coffee grounds also seems to affect them in different ways. For example, lettuce seems to benefit greatly from the addition of coffee grounds, but tomatoes are actually affected somewhat negatively. Plant scientists are not exactly sure why some acid-loving plants respond differently to fresh grounds than others, but it could be because coffee contains allelopathic chemicals that actually inhibit growth in some plants. This might be helpful when you're trying to control weeds, but unfortunately, coffee grounds can't tell the difference between the plants you like and the plants you don't."

False

May you never forget to remember what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.                                                                                         

Rebecca_WV_40

I put mine on everything. Besides roses, I put it around my herbs and tomatoes, and I have pineapple plants that I add the grounds too also. I absolutely use them on everything.

If you Google "Used coffee grounds in the garden", you will get several good sites.

Yeah like I said the roses and strawberries love them!! I do to think potted plants will do great with them!

Alot of people around here take grounds like crazy from the coffee stands! This time of yr mainly when they are doing their gardens!

Martha that is why I am asking...who all puts there's where. To find out what does best with more acid.

I did some googling and found lots of good sites :)

False

I have put them around my mountain laurel in the past when we first moved into this house. It was barely blooming and the next year (after the grounds) they bloomed beautifully.I don't know if it was the grounds, or the good trimming I gave it.

. I really don't have coffee grounds now - I never make coffee.

False

May you never forget to remember what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.                                                                                         

I couldn't say, since we don't drink coffee.  But my dear grandmother, whom I call the original composter...used to always throw her coffee grounds out her kitchen door, and she had the greenest patch of grass right there.

Why do I call her the original composter?  When she had her big garden she always threw all her vegetable scraps onto the soil, then her BIL would come along and plow them in.  Her garden was amazing.

False

HI

I USE COFFEE GROUNDS ON ALL MY HERBS, THEY SEEM TO LIKE EM, AND I HAVE A BLUBERRY BUSH THAT LOVES EM....HOPE IT HELPS...

JACKIE

False

SMILES GO A LONG WAY..SO LAUGH AND SMILE TODAY! ENJOY LIFE!

MY DOBEE DOO BLACK LAB AND BEST FRIEND!Big Smile

I toss my vegetable peelings,rotton vegetables, fruit peelings, spoiled fruit, coffee grounds, and egg shells right out in the one garden. I have climbing roses on the edge of the garden. I grow either my tomatoes or zuchini there. Come canning season I throw the vegetables and fruit out in my other vegetable gardens.  I have never tried my coffee grounds anywhere else.

False

I use coffee grounds on roses and acid loving plants and shrubs.  They really don't seem to add that much acid to the soil, but do help maintain the acidity - though it does depend on the baseline soil pH and climate in your gardens.

It's a good idea to keep them a good 4-6 inches or so away from the base of the plants (as you should with any amendment, mulch, etc.).  I agree, they are excellent (along with filters and tea bags) for compost - when in doubt, throw them in the compost.  They do add texture to soil and help with drainage.

I water all the houseplants, window boxes, containers, with leftover black coffee diluted with distilled or rain water.  They do well with that.

False

"In the end we're all alone ... and no one's coming to save you."  -John Reese

The lovely lady around the corner from us has been throwing coffee grounds on her rhododendron for years and years.  It's at the corner of her ranch style house and it's now taller than the eaves and goes around from one wall to the other.  It's huge and gorgeous and full of blossoms every year.

False
    Fill your lives with love and bravery and you shall lead a life uncommon. - Jewel

BonnieRae

This is off subject, but, Martha...how is  GNorman doing today?   He sure is looking chipper!  LOL

Gnorman thanks you for asking and says that he has settled into his new home very well and enjoys keeping an eye on my garden. Wilted Flower

False

BonnieRae

Gnorman thanks you for asking and says that he has settled into his new home very well and enjoys keeping an eye on my garden. Wilted Flower

False

While it is widely thought that coffee grounds are acidic it has been shown that most of this acidity is removed in the brewing process. Used grounds are essentialy neutral and composting them with other materials will buffer any minor residual acidity.

False