What do you do with Angel Food Cake? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What do you do with Angel Food Cake?

Last post May 27, 2009 9:38 AM by _Dodycooks . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • What do you do with Angel Food Cake?

I bought an angel food cake and I'm going to put strawberries and blueberries on it with cool whip or maybe I'll make a trifle.  How do you serve it?  I'm not a huge fan, but it was a great price and is low fat!!

Are there any recipes you want to share that uses it in an unconventional way. 

False
  • Re: What do you do with Angel Food Cake?

We like it just plain.  It's also good toasted.  Drizzled with a littel chocolate syrup.  Or with other fruits--any berries, or diced peaches for example.  How about spooning on some pineapple and a dollop of whipped cream.  Angel food cakes never last long in our house!

Of course, generally I make them--so sometimes, I'll make a chocolate swirl AF cake--adding a little cocoa powder to part of the batter (that works, because cocoa is fat-free and doesn't deflate the beaten egg whites).  Or I swirl the cake with a little cinnamon sugar.  Or I mix some dry Jello Powder into the cake for a pretty and tasty pastel version.

False

I just clipped a recipe out of an older Reiman magazine (not sure if it was TOH or Quick Cooking or what) to try one of these days. You mix an 8 oz carton of whipped cream with a jar of fudge topping. Then you slice the cake in thirds to make layers and use the mixture between layers and as the frosting.

I would think it would work with any other flavor of topping mixed with the whipped cream, too.

Of course, that's not exactly low calorie! But it does sound good.

False
        I believe in God. Only I spell it N-a-t-u-r-e. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

I tear it apart and mix it all up with sugared strawberries topped with whipped cream for a simple, fast strawberry short cake.

False

Is there a greater fault than being conscious of the other person's faults?

Kahlil Gibran

I personally enjoy hollowing out a deep hole in the side and filling it with cream.
    False
    I love angel food cake and anything you can put on it. all of the above sound wonderful. I even like it when it gets a little old and chewy.
    False

Eat it!

My mother always mixed chocolate pudding mix with cool whip and spread it on angel food cake. When she started going blind, she accidently grabbed taco seasoning instead. I wouldn't recommend that.

False

I was at a bbq yesterday and a friend was describing a delicious dessert she had eaten just the day before at another bbq.  This looks like what she was describing:

Strawberry Angel Food Dessert

Angel food cake
    1 c. milk
    1 sm. pkg. instant vanilla pudding
    1 pt. vanilla ice cream
    1 sm. pkg. strawberry Jello
    1 1/2 c. hot water
    10 oz. frozen strawberries
    Cool Whip

Break angel food cake in pieces and place in bottom of 9 x 13 pan. Blend milk and pudding and add ice cream. Mix with mixer until smooth. Pour over cake. Put in refrigerator until firm. Mix strawberry Jello with hot water. Stir to dissolve Jello. Add frozen strawberries. Stir, refrigerate until it starts to gel. Pour over cake. Don't mix. Refrigerate for several hours until Jello is set. Top with Cool Whip.

False

I personally love anything you can do with an angel food cake. I love it with berries or peaches and cool whit. Or with frosting on it,  It's my favorite cake.

False

Our favorite is with fresh berries & Cool Whip.  I think there's a recipe in several woman's magazines where they cut the angel food cake into 3 layers & spread a mixture of pudding & Cool Whip between the layers...might have some drained, crushed pineapple in there too?  You could spread lemon curd on it too.  For spring, some cooked rhubarb & strawberries would make a nice sauce too.

False

GrandmaK_54...the accidental taco seasonings reminded me of the Thanksgiving my mother had a container of Cool Whip from the freezer for our pumpkin pie.  Unfortunately the label identifiying it as homemade spaghetti sauce had fallen off...so when she opened the Cool Whip container to put a dollop of that on our pie for dessert...we were all looking at spaghetti sauce :-)

False

Good Evening,

Yougart instead of whip cream.......

My Favorite thing to do with angel Food Cake is to make a Shortcake with it. I cut a piece open,place Strawberrys on top and instead of whip cream I use a dollop of Vanilla Yougart on top. My Husband likes this better than the Whip cream!

Brenda :)

False
    Brenda D :)

I make Angel Food Tunnel Cake.  It's one of my most requested recipes when I make it.

Angel Food Tunnel Cake

1 (10 inch) angel food cake1

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened

1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)

⅓ cup lemon juice

1 teaspoon almond extract

2-4 drops food coloring, optional

1 cup fresh fruit, or frozen, thawed, and well drained2

1 (12-oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

additional fresh fruit, optional, for garnish2

Invert cake onto serving plate.  With a long serrated edge knife, cut a 1-inch slice crosswise from top of cake; set aside.  From the top, cut a trench around cake 1 inch from center hole and 1 inch from outer edge, leaving cake walls 1-inch thick.  Remove cake from center, leaving 1-inch thick base on bottom of cake. Tear cake removed from center into bite-sized pieces; reserve.

In large mixer bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy.  Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk until smooth.  Continue beating on low and add lemon juice, extract, and a little food coloring if desired.  (Or, depending on what kind of fruit, I just toss a few pieces of fruit in and beat until the fruit colors the filling; this works really well with blueberries, blackberries, or black or red raspberries; a little food coloring is needed with strawberries or peaches, depending on how colorful you want your filling.)

Stir in reserved torn cake pieces and chopped fruit.  Fold in 1 cup whipped topping.  Fill cake cavity with fruit mixture; replace top slice of cake.  Frost with remaining whipped topping and garnish with additional fruit if desired.  Chill 3 hours or freeze 4 hours.3

1While you can buy already baked angel food cakes from the grocery store deli, these tend to be smaller, flatter, and denser and aren’t quite as nice as homemade.  I prefer the fluffier version that comes from baking it in my own oven.  And, as easy as it is to make one now with a box mix (just add water), I only buy one if I’m in a real pinch for time.

2Any frozen fruit works just fine for the tunnel part of the cake but, other than blueberries, frozen fruit is usually too mushy for the garnish. 

3Filling freezes well.  Can mix up ahead of time without cake pieces from tunnel; thaw, and fold in cake pieces when you make the tunnel.  Can also tear cake completely up and use with filling as a sweet dip instead.

False
    To speak of "mere words" is much like speaking of "mere dynamite." --------French Philosopher CJ Ducasse

Grandma, that taco seasoning mistake is toooo funny. 

Lot's of great ideas everyone.  Last night I mixed vanilla pudding and cool whip.  I'm going to layer chunks of cake, pudding mix, strawberries and peaches. 

Angel food cake is such a nice summer dessert option because it's so light, I may have to make it more often. I bought mine last night at Ralphs for only 1.99.  It's a big bundt style.

False