What/when can you eat after a colonoscopy? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What/when can you eat after a colonoscopy?

Last post Sep 27, 2009 4:47 PM by reevah2 . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • What/when can you eat after a colonoscopy?

Husband is having his colonoscopy tomorrow.  He is doing his liquid 'diet' right now.  This is his first.  He is wondering about when he will be able to start eating again.  Will he need to go back to eating normally slowly?  Will he have to eat soft foods for a bit. 

I know all of this will be explained tomorrow after the procedure, but both of us can't really wait that long to find out some information.

False

Everything is okay in the end, if it's not okay, then it's not the end.

• Re: What can you eat after a colonoscopy?

Dog  As I can recall you can have whatever you want!!

False

I think I ate a Whopper after mine.  I was really hungry!  It's not that much of a big deal. Really. If they have to take care of any polups that may be different but a general "look" doesn't mean he has to refrain from eating right after. Tell him to enjoy!

False

Is there a greater fault than being conscious of the other person's faults?

Kahlil Gibran

He can eat anything he wants.

False

• Re: What/when can you eat after a colonoscopy?

I had mine early in the morning and went straight to IHOP!!!

False
    Fill your lives with love and bravery and you shall lead a life uncommon. - Jewel

I've had several colonoscopies with minor polyps and they let me eat as soon afterward as I want.  Usually we stop and get a plate at my favorite restaurant and bring it home and eat at my pace. Yes, I am usually starved by the time it's over. I schedule mine for early morning and by the time they get to me and over with it's about eleven or twelve.  The procedure doesn't take that long but the hospital takes it's time getting ready.  Good luck that they don't find anything bad.

False

I sure hope right  away as I know I will be starved by then.

I had to quit eating raw vegetables and raw fruit a few days ago. Then yesterday I had to start a low fiber diet with only 1/2 cup potatoes, rice or pasta per day. (THAT is my downfall) .

At 4 pm today, I took 2 ducamolox pills. Then tomorrow is is jello and broth until 6pm when I mix the murlax stuff with 64 oz. of gatorade ( I hate GaTorade,lol)  and drink that down in 15 mins intervals, I can't wait,lol. Then I take 2 more ducalox pills.

My procedure isn't until 12:30 pm on Thursday afternoon. I sure wish it was for early morning. I know I am going to STARVE to death,lol.

False

Hubby always wants to stop and eat on the way home from his tests.    But I usually just want to come home and go to bed.

Weebill, did you ask if you could mix it with something else?  I'm diabetic so they said I could mix mine with any sugar-free clear liquid I wanted.  I chose Crystal Light Lemonade.   Still by the time I got it all down, I didn't want to see any more Lemonade for a while.  ;)

Praying for good reports for all having this test!  

False

Scooter, I've never had one so can't tell you first hand.  I've heard many talk about it recently and it's the "TEST" that scares them the most.  I've heard it's not what thier minds had imagined about the procedure and almost all of them resumed thier eating habits quickly.  Best wishes to you both.

False

Click for Chama, New Mexico Forecast

Drinking that stuff was the worse, test I was asleep and ran out to get the worse fast food I could eat. The waiting for the results was scarey but Dr. told DH right then that I was fine. The worry or drinking that stuff was so bad. I did get the test done 1st thing in the morning so I could eat afterward. Unless they see a problem, I would think you can eat anything and you will sure want to do that.

False

My DH and I have had two of these "c" tests. AS we leave the hospital, the designated driver phones in an order for two subs take-out. We stop at the sub shop on the way home. Then we chow down the subs at home. The "c" patient then immediately takes a nap. This is our routine. It's so nice to look forward to a big, fat sub after the procedure. In our case, we don't feel like sitting at a restaurant (because you're sleepy), so we really want to go home.

Amy

False

My stomach was a bit upset after mine so I didn't feel like eating anything right away. I came home and slept and then ate a normal but light dinner.

False

I never approve, or disapprove, of anything now. It is an absurd attitude to take towards life. We are not sent into the world to air our moral prejudices. I never take any notice of what common people say, and I never interfere with what charming people do. --Oscar Wilde

I was told I could hae anything I wanted aterward. They did remove some thing not sure if it was polyps or something else but felt fine after.

The prep is the worst part and I was told to not eat or drink anything red before.

False

I was so hungry after mine I had my friend stop at the first restaurant.

False

Hi there, Grannyfay in KY...

I hope and pray I hear back from you ASAP because yours is the very first post I've seen that says I COULD substitute Crystal Light for the gatorade for my colonoscopy.  My doctors' office has just been INSISTANT that I HAD to use an electrolyte beverage like gatorade and absolutely could NOT substitute anything else for it in my colonoscopy prep with my mirolax and the use of the four laxative pills, etc.

At any rate, my colonoscopy is scheduled for five days from now and I'm hoping you will see this and zap back a reply that will hopefullyl reconfirm that you DID indeed use that Crystal Light lemonade mix instead and that you had NO problems due to any electrolyte shortage or anything, etc.

I'm a fellow Southern "girl" just a few years behind you...though not blessed unfortunately with a wonderful relationship over the years as you have been...God bless you and I am genuinely glad when I hear about couples who have sucessfully made a lifelong relationship truly mutually beneficial and loving and supportive!

Look forward to hearing back from you!  Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.  Really appreciate it!

False