Need ideas for recipes that will travel well | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need ideas for recipes that will travel well

Last post May 28, 2009 1:11 PM by Summer74 . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • Need ideas for recipes that will travel well

We are going to a party this weekend and will have to travel about 3 hours to get there.  Can anyone steer me in the right direction to find recipes that I can make ahead and will travel well in a small cooler?  I am looking for mainly appetizers and/or salads-things like that!

Thanks

False
  • Re: Need ideas for recipes that will travel well

Just had 3 friends ask for this appetizer over the weekend, and so easy.

Corn Dip

None of this has a exact amount, just go by what you like.

2 Cans of Mexican Corn Drained

1 Bunch of Green Onion Chopped

1 to 1 1/2 Cups of Cheddar Cheese Grated

1/4 Cup of Mayo

1/2 Cup of Sour Cream

1 Small Can of Diced Green Chilies

1 Can of Black Beans Drained

You Can at This point Add Sliced Jalpenos For as Much Heat You Want.

Adjust all to the consistency you want.  3 hours in the cooler would be great to let the flavor work. I serve this with corn chips.

Cheryl

False

Here's one for Taco Salad that you could toss together when you get to your destination.  The cooler could keep the lettuce and what not chilled en route.  Yes

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Taco-Salad

Hope this helps!

Krissy~~~

False

Any kind of cheesball would probably transport well.  You could also pack celery or crackers.  Another idea is type Appetizers into the search box...then go to 'Cooking Style' and select 'Make-Ahead'.  You'll probably want to add 'Cold Appetizers' to filter your results but might give you some more options.  Pasta Salad does well too.

False

Live, Life, Laughter, Love

Hi, DinosandKayesmom,

Here are some ideas for salads and appetizers that will travel well, and keep nicely for three hours in a cooler. Be sure to wrap the dish tightly, or use a tupperware container with a lid, so the contents don't spill. I have made all of these and they are good.

Have a good time at the party!

Summer Veggie Salad -- this is delicious.

Seven-fruit salad -- this is always a big hit. The lime juice in the dressing is especially refreshing.

Salsa Guacamole -- Serve with corn chips. I sometimes half this recipe, because it makes a lot.

Avocado Taco Dip -- Serve with corn chips -- delicious.

False

This one one makes a big bowl of a very different pasta salad and no mayo to worry about in the heat.

SWEET AND SOUR SHELLS

1      lb.  medium pasta shells, cooked al dente, rinsed and cooled2     sweet peppers, red and green, chopped1      medium onion, chopped2     cucumbers, peeled, seeded, chopped Mix: 1  can tomato soup½ c vinegar¾ c salad oil¾ c white sugar2 t salt½ t pepper2 t paprika2 t ground dry mustardCayenne Adjust spices to taste, especially salt.  Stir into veges and pasta.  Refrigerate overnight, stirring two or three times.  Pasta will absorb the dressing. 

False

Try as I will, I can't get this to format properly. I think you can figure it out. Sorry.

False

WOW!  Thanks everyone.  Now I dont know which one to make!  LOL

False

Texas Caviar with Fritto Scoops

False
    License

A really easy idea would be to cut a watermelon into small, easy to hold wedges & bring that along...if it's a hot day...the cold melon would be great...no serving utensils to bring.  Because the last family reunion we went to some people forgot to bring big spoons.  We have a reunion in August & it's about a 6 hour drive for us...we drive up on Sat. for the Sun. reunion so I'm also someone who has to bring something that travels well in a cooler. 

False

An appetizer that:

*is easy to make

*doesn't require utensils or refrigeration (though I would transport in a cooler for a long drive in a hot car)

*one of my favorites to make because they're always so well received

Italian Cheese Puffs 

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup margarine

1/2 cup flour

2 eggs

1/3 cup Parmesan cheese

1/4 cup finely chopped ham (I use baked ham lunch meat)

Bring water and margarine to a boil.  Stir flour in all at once and stir vigorously until mixture leaves side of pan and forms ball.  Remove from heat, put in mixer, and beat 2 eggs in thoroughly, until smooth and velvety. (Mixture will look gloppy and unappetizing at first - keep beating until smooth and velvety.) 

Mix in Parmesan cheese. Fold in chopped ham. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees 25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.  Let cool before storing (at room temperature) in plastic bag or cookie tin. 

These are best when hot out of the oven, but they're also good at room temperature, and they reheat well in the microwave. I usually triple the recipe if I'm making to take to a party.

False
    To speak of "mere words" is much like speaking of "mere dynamite." --------French Philosopher CJ Ducasse

Deviled eggs actually can travel well too!!!  I cut the eggs and put the cooked whites in one ziplock bag... take all the yolks.. mix your filling however you do it... in another ziplock bag... squish it all together and  pack on ice.. take you plate... when you get to destination snip the end of the filling bag off.. "pipe" the filling into the eggs and there you go!!!(take your paprika or dill to decorate...will take you 5 minutes when you arrive to finish it up!  (I took these to a picnic 6 hours away one time and worked great!!!)  You can also do an assortment of chips and dips..cookies...as long as you can keep it good and cold you can do about anything...... you are good to go!!!!

Summer your salad sounds great... that one is now saved!!! 

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-