How long does an AVG scan take on your computer?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How long does an AVG scan take on your computer??

Last post Jun 16, 2009 1:13 PM by starchild . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • How long does an AVG scan take on your computer??

AVG (free version 8.5.339) takes at least several hours to run a complete scan. 

Why is it so much slower than the previous version?

Just our computer or they've made the scan so inclusive it simply requires a lot of time to complete?

I like AVG otherwise.  It does a decent job. 

False
  • Re: How long does an AVG scan take on your computer??

You can go into the scan and set it for a faster scan.  I don't remember how, but I know you can.  When we tried making it faster, it made THAT scan faster, but it wasn't somthihng that would happen in the next scans, always had to reset it.  Then a friend showed DH how to permanently change it.  So I know it can be done, guess you would have to play around.

False

I just reformatted my computer, but before that it was taking several hours.  The more you surf the more "stuff" you encounter and the longer it takes to scan.

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

Thanks for the suggestions & ideas!

I'd love to wipe the whole computer clean & start fresh.  Was so much easier on Win 98.  Slip the disc in & simply add back what you wanted after it was done.  XP doesn't seem to go back to sq. one.  Didn't come with a disc either.

False

I have Vista and when I reformatted it allowed me to make Backup disks first.  I also made Recovery disks when I first got my computer.

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Have to remember that tip.....recovery disks when the computer is new.....for use later.  Idea

False

Mine takes at least two hours. I have a lot of stuff (and an external hardrive, which is F) also.

You can set it to only scan certain files, like WINDOWS and the system files.

I h ave malwarebytes (another free anti virus) which has an option for Quick Scan.

I have my AVG set to come on and scan everyday starting at noon, though sometimes I stop it if I'm doing a lot, and it seems to slow things donw.

Also, the resident protection that runs in the background.

False

My AVG takes about 6 hours

I do not know where you found the fast scan.....I have searched and cannot find it

False

I have the free AVG and it takes between 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 of an hour to scan, and occasionally even less.  I have it set to scan daily at 7 pm.

False

I would also like to know where to find an auto scan on AVG.  It updates every day on it's own but I have looked everywhere for where I can set it to automatically scan viruses at a certain time each day.

Starchild, sounds like yours does this.  How?  (I have the free version)

Mine usually takes several hours to scan for viruses but that's okay with me.

False
    Photobucketsm peace Photobucket

Okay, so you see your avg down on your screen.  Double click on that.  On your left, you will see a box called Computer Scanner, click on that.  You will see two things.  And under them, it will say Change Scan Settings.  Click on those, and you can mess around and set it how you want.

I have my AVG run once a week in the evening.

False

Also, there is a large box where it should show name and next scheduled run.  Click on the information (name of scan and day/date/time to highlight it.  You can can then click on edit scan schedule and set it as you want.

False

Thank you Char and Limey!   It was there all along...lol.   Now, I have one more question.  Does my computer have to be ON for the scheduled scan to run?  I have it set for every day at 4:00am but the computer is never on at that time.  It shows my last scan as a week ago at 8:00pm which I started manually.  Is my computer not being scanned because it's turned off at 4am?

False

Yes it has to be on.  I leave mine on at night.

False

Math is fun!

Thanks, AP!  Big Smile

False