Creamy Macaroni Salad?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Creamy Macaroni Salad??

Last post Jun 17, 2009 7:05 PM by Janetplanet . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Creamy Macaroni Salad??

Can anyboby advice me on how to keep my macaroni from soaking up all the mayonnaise? The deli style macaroni salads are so creamy and moist. What's the secret? Mine seem to get dry shortly after preparation. Any advice would be appreciated.........Thanks

False
  • Re: Creamy Macaroni Salad??

I just allow for it. Put the dressing on at the time you mix it....allowing it to be absorbed. Then, about half an hour to an hour before serving, add some more.  I suspect that the store bought stuff is supersaturated with dressing.

False

I always mix my veggies with some dressisng and stick it in the fridge until it gets cold before I cook the macaroni.  I also make sure the pasta is completely cooled before I add the dressing, so I usually refrigerate it (with a splash of oil to keep it from sticking together while in the fridge) and then put them together before I serve it. 

False
    I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today - Wimpy

My Mother in law taught me a trick and that is to put olive oil in the Macaroni and let it cool.. it soaks up the oil and then not so much of the Mayo... She does this with potatoes for potato  salad too...Big SmileYes

False

Actually, some Deli's "refresh" their salads just as cookie stated she does at home.

We do the same.

False

According to Cooks Country - they recommend leaving a little of the pasta water with the macaroni - it will absorb the water instead of the dressing.

Cook the pasta until just tender—not all the way—and leave a little moisture on it. The pasta will absorb the water rather than the creamy dressing.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I requested macaroni salad recipes from this board a month or so ago and one of them I got had 1/2 can of canned milk.  It turned out fabulously, have made it with it ever since.  Just right.

Janet

False