What is the difference between Bratwurst and Knockwurst? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What is the difference between Bratwurst and Knockwurst?

Last post Jun 18, 2009 7:53 AM by Orisleuth_MN . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • What is the difference between Bratwurst and Knockwurst?

I saw a pkg of both at the store today.  They were both fully cooked, all I had to do was heat them up.  I looked at the ingr and they were both the same.  The ingr were all listed in the same order.  Even the 'chemicals' were the same.

So, what is the difference. 

False

Everything is okay in the end, if it's not okay, then it's not the end.

• Re: What is the difference between Bratwurst and Knockwurst?

What I've had the bratwurst was more sausage-like and the knockwurst was pretty much a hot dog.

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

Here's what I found...I didn't know either so I looked it up...

Bratwurst, or Brats as they are usually, called are a mixture of pork and veal with light spices indicative of the region of Europe from which they hail ... Germany. Though many brats are made from just pork and beef, many true Germans would say that only real brats are made with veal. Bratwurst has a very light color and flavor, which come from the grain-fed pork. In America, brats are usually slow cooked over a low fire and then stuffed into hoagie rolls or buns and topped with sauteed onions and a line of mustard.

Knockwurst is a soft sausage made of pork and beef spiced with garlic. It is often seasoned. It is often compared to ( and confused with) bockwurst which is very similar to modern frankfurters. Since bockwurst is more heavily seasoned and made with veal, knackwurst usually gets the most comparison to American Hot Dogs. The color is light and the texture is soft. Knockwursts are commonly eaten with bread and saurkraut or cabbage.
    False

I have a very difficult time deciphering the line between boredom and hunger.

In Milwaukee both are popular -- brats more so -- but totally different.  And...pre-cooked brats -- to each their own but IMO -- ICK.

There was a Paula Dean segment where she and one of her son's cooked brats -- it was kind of funny they said brats with a long 'a', here we say it with a short 'a'.  Possibly a regional thing...Smile

False

♀♀ = Love

♂♂ = Love

♀♂ = Love

A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others. -the movie Barnyard

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived!

Click for Milwaukee, Wisconsin Forecast

Hopefully I don't sound - err - - - well whatever it is here goes .....                       

Bratwurst purchased in Germany, is a totally different ballgame than the overall stuff presented in North America.   You eat using a knife and fork.   Some is precooked – tho it is not the same taste nor texture - at all.   There is a large variance in size and taste.   We always broil ours - first *** with a fork – and enjoy with spätzle and a salad.           

Knockwurst in Germany, is far less fatty then Bratwurst, and depending on where you are in Germany, can be served inside a bun with a spicy mustard – or on a plate with bread or potatoes/potatoe salad.    It really is finger food - especially Saxony.   Unfortunately I could never compare to a NA hotdog - the taste and content is vastly different, but I can see from the visual, why one would do that.  I love chomping into a 'real' knockwurst and the skin cracks open - the skin is thick enough to be eaten, and also catch the juice.            

Both have become quite popular throughout Europe.

False

The distance between eyes and ears is just four fingers but the distance between listening and seeing with our eyes is infinite. - - - Persian proverb

For cripes sakes !!!!!!      Reiman replaced my word    'P r + + k'    with a bunch of stars !!!! 

This IS a cooking board - yes ??!    I just can't believe the level of intelligence applied to the 'no no' team.     POKE the bloody sausage then .....

False

The distance between eyes and ears is just four fingers but the distance between listening and seeing with our eyes is infinite. - - - Persian proverb

Pinky50

In Milwaukee both are popular -- brats more so -- but totally different.  And...pre-cooked brats -- to each their own but IMO -- ICK.

I second the 'ick'. Pre-cooked brats are just wrong. Buy them fresh, simmer in beer & onions, and grill.

I would describe knockwurst as being more the texture of ring bologna, and brats more like Italian sausage or Polish sausage.

False
        I believe in God. Only I spell it N-a-t-u-r-e. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Pinky50

There was a Paula Dean segment where she and one of her son's cooked brats -- it was kind of funny they said brats with a long 'a', here we say it with a short 'a'.  Possibly a regional thing...Smile

This does not surprise me coming from someone who calls pecans "pee-cans". I cringe every time she says that. You sure don't call them that in Texas. They're "pe-cahns" always and forever! 

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

You can feed your brats knockwurst, but you can't knock bratwurst.

John

False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”

M_Wolverine

You can feed your brats knockwurst, but you can't knock bratwurst.

John

That's cute! Yes

False

Pinky50

I saw that particular show too and everytime she said "brats" it made me cringe.....I thought she was cooking some naughty little kids...LOL!

False

Every day I’m shufflin’