Meal ideas for company | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Meal ideas for company

Last post Jun 29, 2009 3:47 PM by pgebby316_36f . 24 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 12
  • Meal ideas for company

We have family coming in on Friday and they're staying until the following Saturday.  I have a pretty good idea of some of the things we will be having for dinners.  They are:  hamburgers, hotdogs; spaghetti w/meatballs; chicken; ham.   Does anyone have any ideas that they can give me.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Take care,

Pam

False
  • Re: Meal ideas for company

Happy Sunday Morning, Pam! Cool

My first idea was Tacos.  Folks can pretty much help themselves making their own Tacos so you'd only need to get the Ground Beef cooked up and ready.

How about making some Stratas and/or Quiche?   They feed a lot of folks and can be served hot or at room temperature. 

Hope you have lots of Fun with your Family, Pam!

Krissy~~~

BTW...I hope you & Mr. Pam are still doing well.  Best regards to you both.  Smile

False

Homemade pizza can be fun.  Pulled pork is a good one too.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Mornin' Krissy! 

Me and Mr. Pam are still smoke free!  Its a struggle sometimes but we've got our eye on the prize.

Tacos would be a great idea.  That will be on my menu.  I don't think they'd eat strata or quiche.  Did I mention that they're picky.  (One of them said that they were hamburgered out last year!  The nerve!  I told my DH that I'd have hamburgers every night if it were up to me, just to break my SIL's rear!) 

Thanks for the great ideas!

Take care,

Pam

False

pgebby316_36f

Me and Mr. Pam are still smoke free!  Its a struggle sometimes but we've got our eye on the prize.

That's fantastic news, Pam!  Congratulations to you both!  Yes

pgebby316_36f
    Did I mention that they're picky.

If they get picky during this trip, float a toothpick in a glass of water and tell all of them that *Pine Floats* are What's For Dinner this evening.  Wink

False
    If they're staying for a week and that picky, one would think they would offer to take you out for dinner or cook for you one night! How about a night of salads? Cornbread Salad is delicious (you can google the recipe), maybe a huge tossed salad with all the fixings. Cold cut sandwiches (make your own).
    False

That's a pretty heavy weak--how about a meat-free night to lighten things up?  A vegetable stirfry? or grilled veggie sandwiches, or a good hearty vegetable soup with some nice artesan bread on the side.  How about Mac and Cheese with some veggies thrown in with a nice salad?

You obviously know your guests tastes better than we do--it may be you know they're big meat eaters.  However, it's possible that, like DH and I, they really prefer to have a few lighter nights mixed in.  We actually never eat big meat servings at home.  I never make steak, or roasts, rarely do I do things like grilled chicken breast.  We prefer to have a little meat in our meals, used for flavor (in a casserole/stir-fry, etc), than a huge portion, and as I said, we do at least a couple of meatless meals each week.  But I'm sitting here typing this, and realizing that I really doubt my family (brothers/sisters) know that's how we eat at home, because family get-togethers always include those 'big meat' things like a ham, a turkey, or roast, etc. 

So for a little variety, for the sake of your budget, and mostly for the health benefits, I'd add in some much lighter meals with less meat.

False
    I'd do Theme meals, One night Mexican, one Italian , sloppy joes ,,a cook out night. and they can go to diners or places that have lunch specials. We have a china place 5.95 for all you can eat with drink you can hardly cook a nice meal for that. Almost all towns have that type of place. I wouldn't be cooking every night.The got burgered out thing she said would stop me from knocking myself out.I love the bkft specials all restaurants have
    False

I would go for quick and easy.

Sweet and Sour meatballs with rice using frozen meatballs

Polish Sausage and Sauerkraut

3 Bean Salad--should last for 2 meals

Cole slaw

Ice cream for dessert

False

These are 2 of our favorite salads in the summer time....makes a full meal....Chef's Salad and Spinach salad with hot bacon dressing  .........

Chef's Salad

2 cups torn salad greens

2 green onions, chopped

1/4 cup chopped celery

4 ounces deli ham, julienned

4 ounces deli turkey, julienned

4 ounces Swiss cheese, julienned

4 ounces cheddar cheese

2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced

4 pitted ripe olives

Salad dressing of your choice

On two serving plates, arrange the salad greens, onion, celery, ham, turkey, cheese, egg and olives.

Serve with dressing of your choice.
    Spinach Salad With Hot Bacon Dressing

8-10 c. fresh spinach
    1 c. fresh or canned (drained) bean sprouts
    1 (8oz.)can water chestnuts, drained and sliced (optional)
    1 c. fresh sliced mushrooms
    1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
    3 hard cooked eggs, sliced
    1/4 c. cooking oil
    1/4 c. ketchup
    1/4 c. vinegar
    1/4 c. finely chopped onion
    2 Tbl. barbecue sauce
    2 Tbl. sugar
    1 Tbl. steak sauce
    1 Tbl. Worchestershire sauce
    1/4 tsp. Tabasco sauce
    6 strips bacon

Tear spinach into bite size pieces, add bean sprouts, water chestnuts, mushrooms,cheese and eggs. Cover and refrigerate. Combine, oil, ketchup, vinegar, onion, barbecue sauce, sugar, steak sauce, Worchestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce in glass jar, cover and shake well. Refrigerate.
    Cook bacon in skillet until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels. Pour off all but 2 Tbl. Bacon drippings. Stir in dressing mixture and cook over medium heat until mixture simmers.
    Add bacon to salad. Pour dressing over salad and toss lightly, but well.

My family really liked this recipe. It is a keeper..This sauce made enough for about 4 servings of salad.
    I would double the dressing the next time. It is so good.

This is one of the best spinach salads we have tasted. Tastes just like a favorite/nice restaurant we go to.

Enjoy!!!

False

This is the only recipe I use for a beef roast. We don't add the vegetables. I serve it on Italian buns and we just love it. LindaChicken posted this recipe. My tweaks at the end.

~French Dip Roast~

For the Crock Pot! Makes 12.

I use the cheapest cut -- it will come out tasting like you slaved over a stove all day long.

You can add potatoes and carrots to the recipe if you like, or shred it and serve it as a French Dip sandwich. I had the au jus sauce (in the crock pot) served on the side for dipping.

3 ½ to 4 pounds boneless roast (I always use a lean cheap cut)
    ½ cup soy sauce (I used the lite soy sauce, lower sodium).
    1 beef bouillon cube
    1 bay leaf
    3 to 4 peppercorns
    ½ teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed (you may want to use less if you don't like rosemary)
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon minced garlic r (or garlic powder) this is Optional!!

You can add some onion slices to this is you like, depending on who I'm fixing it for I will. It really doesn't seem to change the flavor to us that much.

12 French rolls, split

Place roast in a 5-quart slow cooker. Combine soy sauce and next 6 ingredients. Pour over roast.

Add water to slow cooker until roast is almost covered.

Cook, covered, on LOW for 7 hours or until very tender.

Remove roast, reserving broth.

I like to shred the roast with two forks and serve on sandwich rolls with the broth on the side for dipping. Oh baby! We LOVED this :)

Chicken note.......this makes a lot of broth, when I double the meat I do NOT double the broth :)
    Can use 1 can condensed beef broth & omit boullion cube

I add 1 - 2 cups of water to this to make more Au Jus if we are having people over. I also use Wyler's Sodium Free Bouillon. It helps some with the sodium because the soy sauce is so salty.
    False

Adults and children alike enjoy "make your own" sub sandwiches, also "make your own" individual pizzas. 

Sounds like you have a lot of cooking ahead of you.  Hopefully some of your company will help or even take over a meal or two....or even better, take you out.   Anyway, good luck! 

False
    I am proud to be an American. Because an American can eat anything on the face of this earth as long as he has two pieces of bread.
    Bill Cosby

Breakfast burritos are great any time of day. Scrambled eggs, cooked sausage or bacon, green peppers, zucchini, summer squash, onion, black olives (whatever you have in the house) sauteed til tender crisp or cook it with the eggs. Serve with picante and/or sour cream, 

False

Thanks for all of the great ideas. 

The "company" that is coming is picky.  In fact, the first night they came, we did hamburgers on the grill.  The hamburgers were homemade by me (I use a Tupperware mold for the shape, Ground beef and Montreal Steak seasoning).  My SIL and BIL said that they prefer hamburgers that come in a box.  What nerve.  I was pi$$ed.  They are just like that, you know, the World revolves around them.  I will be glad when they're gone.  By the way, if it were up to me, I'd have hamburgers every single night they were here.  Also, they would never, ever think of taking us out to dinner one night.  They are that selfish.

Okay, can you tell I'm not looking forward to them coming?  LOL!

False

pgebby316_36f
    My SIL and BIL said that they prefer hamburgers that come in a box. 

Ewwwww - in that case fix them spam & hamburger helper! LOL

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile