Is this phone solicitation a scam? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Is this phone solicitation a scam?

Last post Jul 18, 2009 10:41 AM by Lady Fingers . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Is this phone solicitation a scam?

Fraternal Order of Police

They just called me asking for donations.  I told him it was my understanding that firefighters or police NEVER solicit over the phone.  He gave me the website.  WWW.CAFOP.org.

What is this organization?  Have you heard of it?  They have one for every state.

False
  • Re: Is this phone solicitation a scam?

It's a real organization, but the phone calls can still be a scam. Or, at the very least, it's a telemarketing company that's really calling and the FOP see little of the money.

If anybody really wants to donate to their local law enforcement, I'd suggest just calling your local P.D. and asking how they'd like the donation.

False
        I believe in God. Only I spell it N-a-t-u-r-e. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

police and fire NEVER make "cold" calls for donations.....it's might not be a scam...but I would not give them any $$$$...if one wanted to donate go to the police station and give there.....or they could direct one to a charity to give to....

editing to add...as Martha says..one can call the police....BUT FOR HEAVENS SAKE do not call 911.....but sadly many people use that number for the stupidest things...find the business number and use that....

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

I tend to suspect any and all telephone solitations as being a scam.  

While there are Fraternal Orders of Police, which are perfectly respectable, there are also solitation organizations that garner donations -- using the name of a credible charity -- and then keep a large percentage of the gift as "fundraiser expense", while the charity itself receives only a small portion.    I don't know that this is the case here, but I'm skeptical.   

You can use charitynavigator.com to check the ratings of many charities (although not all). 

False

I check charitynavigator and they weren't on there.  Thanks for your responses.  I just didn't have a good feeling about it.  The guy sounded a little too salespitchy (if that's a word).

False
    We still get calls for that it's legit as for as here.In this town I call,, it's a local thing.
    False

i called my pd., same answer as martha said.  i tell them to take me off their calling list...fd has this too...

False

"I told him it was my understanding that firefighters or police NEVER solicit over the phone. "

Where did you hear that? They solicite all the time on the phone. Not only did we get local calls but from national organizations as well. I always say the same thing, we do not have the money. I choose my organizations and I do not appreciate being called in the middle of dinner for money. 

False

I get these calls all the time too. The fire department callers are the worst...very, very pushy.  I either hang up---that guarantees a week or two of calls or refuse to put a set amount of money. I always ask for them to send me the information in the mail (not email! If they have your phone #, they have your address too) and that I will look over it and decide.Make them mail everything so if you do decide to give, you have a record of who you are giving to.

False

_Dodycooks

Fraternal Order of Police

They just called me asking for donations

I donate to them...I have been doing so for years. Once a year I get a solicitation in the mail from them.  Were they to solicit me by phone, I would remind them that they, the police, are the first to tell you not to send money in response to telephone solicitations and would ask them to send me a reguest in the mail. If they really are the police, they already have my telephone number and from that they can get my address.

False

Like others have said I would call your local police and ask about it.  The FOP is a legitimate group and often solicites.  You won't find them on Charitynavigator because they usaully are indiviually run.

You also cannot ask them to take you off their call-list (you can, but they don't have to) because that does not apply to charities.

brigidSleep

False

Why not drop a check off at your local police station?  They you would know where your money was going.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.