I already have a pumpkin turning orange. Isn't it too soon? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I already have a pumpkin turning orange. Isn't it too soon?

Last post Jul 24, 2009 7:25 PM by whateverfood . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • I already have a pumpkin turning orange. Isn't it too soon?

I got them out earlier than normal, but, not that early. I got them too late last year. The pumpkin turning is not even big. About softball size. I have some a bit bigger, but, they aren't going to be that big. At least I got more than last year.

But, I don't think it should be turning so soon. Maybe an early fall.

False

catmint

• Re: I already have a pumpkin turning orange. Isn't it too soon?

You could try and call your County Extension Service and ask them what applies to your local area.  I need to call the one here and ask about when figs are ripe for picking.  

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

Catmint, we are just now getting blooms on our pumpkin vines!  They probably won't be ready in time.  We had pumpkins turn early like that one year.  Most of them rotted before fall even started.  

False

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss

Sad

I hope my cushaws fair better. I see two coming on.

False

catmint

i trained a pumpkin vine to grow up along one of my dead peach tree's..this pumpkin is huge and beginning to turn orange...fun to watch it grow..usually here in the desert they get to a certain size and die..but since it's in the shade and the pumpkin is growing off the ground..could be the reason why it's so big..

False

Mine are still green, bout the size of softballs, but there are still a lot of flowers, so I'm hoping for more.

I love watching them too!!

False
     Photobucket

When I used to grow pumpkins, I usually had one or two renegades each year that started turning color early.

False
        I believe in God. Only I spell it N-a-t-u-r-e. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Martha, hopefully this one is a renegade then. The others look fine. Not really big, though. One is basketball size, i think. Might be some more in there. The vines are thick and the grass is high. I have them in the pasture.

False

catmint

4boysmom

I need to call the one here and ask about when figs are ripe for picking.  

My DH told me how to tell but I don't think I can mention it here as it refers to a private male body part(s).  Mine turn from green to purple also.  I am going to try drying them this year because I have so many.  I read something that said to wait until they fall off, but the birds and ants will get to them in my yard.

False

Not sure if it's too early or not, but my neighbor's just turned orange too. 

False
    Click for San Dimas, California Forecast

I went up and checked it earlier today, and it is VERY rotten.

That is the only one so far.  I found in a different patch, several larger ones. And some cushaws coming on.

False

catmint

And I dodn'a wanna know what Pamela60 is thinkin', cuz... things like that happenin; scare the peewaddin outta Me! Stick out tongue

Wink

And where is that pretty little lady who has to wear tattered clothes; and that squirrelly fairy?

False