Dessert only wedding reception, anybody? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Dessert only wedding reception, anybody?

Last post Aug 03, 2009 6:18 PM by GrandmaK_54_Illinois . 42 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 123
  • Dessert only wedding reception, anybody?

Anybody had, planned or been to a dessert only wedding reception?   If so what was served and how was it all arranged?

False
  • Re: Dessert only wedding reception, anybody?

Fancy Cupcakes, brownies, delicate cookies, mini cream puffs.....all very pretty on silver trays.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I personally  have never been to a wedding reception that was Dessert only but I remember reading this post.

http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/p/196244/2646693.aspx#2646693

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

I have been to a few, that have been held in the church multi-purpose room, that have served only the wedding cake and ice cream following the wedding. Cake was cut and ice cream was placed on each dessert plate, and was served to guests by the wedding party.
    False

I've never been to one that served only dessert but I've also never been to a sit-down dinner reception.

The standard for finger-food wedding receptions where I come from include:

cake (obviously)

mints

nuts

cheese straws

wedding cookies

fruit

An unusual but great little sweet bite I once had at a reception was Fig Newtons cut into match stick size and then dipped in confectioner's sugar.

False

Have been to a few receptions where the couple was seriously budget-crunched.  Cake, punch, mixed nuts, and mints were all which was served.  Not everyone can afford a formal, sit-down dinner affair.  

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

Never a wedding, but after a meeting at my firehouse. I made about 20 different desserts and the guys loved it. I made 3 different cheese cakes, a linzer tort, a bunch of layer cakes, pies frangipan torts. I gave out lots of recipes that night and it was a lot of fun doing it.

False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

I all so have never been to a reception like this.   To me if people are coming from a long distance or the wedding is like noon or 3:00 or 4:00 in the afternoon,  then I would say that food would be expected. 

I just can't imagine only serving dessert for a wedding.  Especially now adays when it is not cheap to buy a nice wedding gift,  plus if there was also a shower.  Not to mention if the Bride is registered like they are around here. 

Hope you get your question answered,  sorry I was not much help.

Cassie  :)

False

Barbara Anne

Cassiebabe_Calif
      I just can't imagine only serving dessert for a wedding.

I've been to a couple.

Cassiebabe_Calif
    Especially now adays when it is not cheap to buy a nice wedding gift, 

Especially now adays when people have all they can do to pay their bills.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

jetfan27
    I made 3 different cheese cakes, a linzer tort, a bunch of layer cakes, pies frangipan torts.

Oh, you could make little individual sized cheesecakes and little bite sized tarts in muffin pans and mini-muffin pans. I think there are lots of options of bite sized desserts.

I don't think the price of a gift should be based on the type of food one is served at the reception. The main event is the wedding and to wish the couple well on their new life, not how expensive or big of a meal that *I* get at the reception.

False

TH,

Very good point made in regards to gift/food.  I guess it's just that all the weddings that I have attended or heard of were with food.

Personally I would just cut down on the guest list and try to do a little more with finger foods. 

However,  I did think of one suggestion.  Costco and Sams now has a HUGE variety of desserts and finger foods for party's and receptions and they are really reasonable.  You don't have to get them from their bakery either.  They have a very large frozen section where these are.

Cassie  :)

False

Barbara Anne

Yes I have heard of them.  So many weddings today go over the top on everything, and lead one to think one has to do the same, but not so.  The timing of the wedding and reception are key to a dessert only.  You wouldn't want this type of a reception at a typical meal time, because of course, people need to eat a substantial meal at a  meal time.  It would need to be say a morning, mid afternoon with things wrapped up by dinner, or later in the evening, say 7 or 8.

I would think a wonderful variety of desserts would be great, served on the nicest trays, bowls, dishes, etc. would be wonderful.  I would not eliminate the cake, but would also have a cookie table, with many varieties, small bite sized desserts, pies, maybe some candies, and definitely some fruit, maybe some fruit salad, and some cheeses and crackers or breads (not everyone can gourge on sweets.)

Are you thinking of needing to plan this type of a reception for someone?.

False

Seems like nowadays, the sky's the limit as to what each couple wants to do.  I attended a reception a couple years back during the month of January.  The bride wanted it to be "warm and cozy" so all that was served was homemade cinnamon rolls and hot cocoa (with optional mix-ins).  The wedding "cake" was made from rice crispy treats.  Different, but rather fun!

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

I have been to many many weddings where it was just cake and punch (nuts and mints) in the church social hall... and they are nice....

Just because I bought a gift for the new couple does NOT mean I EXPECT a meal from them or their families....

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

I think the New York area is the worst with wedding receptions. Catering places charge a minimum of $ 90.00 - $180.00 and even higher if you want the Vienese table and open bar. And the rule of thumb is you give a gift, usually cash, that cover your meals. So do the math and figure what it will cost you. I am so against big receptions. I ahd a square dance and my friend's wife catered it and it cost on $30.00 per person. And everyone had a great time. 

I worked at a catering hall that was part of my Culinary Arts class. It was an old mansion on the campus of New York Inst. of Technology. The reception was held in different rooms and I had to do the desserts, which were in the library. It was really neat. There were secret doors that were hidden with book cases, like the scary movies. We wheeled the desserts down narrow halls from the pastry shop in the basement to the first floor library. We served all finger type desserts. Mini eclairs, swans, tarlets filled with frangipan, pastry cream, and whipped cream. We also served full sized cakes and torts that we cut and served the people, like a buffet. It was very nicely done and the guests were really impressed.

False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners