CANNING MEAT ? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

CANNING MEAT ?

Last post Sep 23, 2009 11:36 AM by hidecogal . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • CANNING MEAT ?

If you have could you tell me some things you do. When canning beef do you put water in the jar along with the meat.? Do you put fat at the top? Do you cook it not in a pressure canner, if not how long do you cook in a hot water bath?

If you have any advice  or things you do feel free to post it . Tell me what you do.

Thanks

False
  • Re: CANNING MEAT ?

Nope & Nope.  I pack cubes of raw meat in the jar as tight as I can get them.  Add a slice of onion, a clove of garlic & a tsp of salt to each quart.  Then I pressure can them for an hour & a half at 10 lbs.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Thanks that is very helpful.
    False

hidecogal
    Do you cook it not in a pressure canner, if not how long do you cook in a hot water bath?

Pressure canning meat in a must do!   Using a hot-water bath method is never recommended.

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

raw pack tight.. 1 tsp salt and pressure can at 10 pounds 90 minutes... I don't mess with the garlic and onion add that when I open the jars and use the meat for whatever purpose!

Chicken I cook first(you can raw pack too I just find it easier to pack the jars with it cooked and boned you can also cool it and get all the fat off first )   I do add broth from the cooking 1 tsp salt and pressure can 10 pounds 90 minutes....

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

You should NOT can meat in a water bath. Meat shoukld only be canned in a pressure canner because of safety concerns. ONly pressure canning will kill bacteria and other such nasty little critters that can make you sick.

The amount of pressure need (by the lbs) differs with different altitude. At higher altitudes (above 2000- 3000 ft you have to can meat at 12  lbs pressure.

Every new pressure canner comes with a pretty good small istruction book. If you don't have a book, try your library or access you state University Extension Service on your PC and print off their canning instructions for meats, fish, vegetables and fruit.

False

I confess I have never canned meat.  Probably would never have to in my lifetime. 

So you put the meat in tight with salt (onion and garlic if desired) and process.  Do you add any liquid or does it make it's own liquid.

False
    License

Add salt only if you like a lot of salt. All meat you buy today has already been brined and is salty without adding salt. You can always add salt after openeing the jar.

STERILIZE your jars after washing them well. Instead of doing this in a large pot of boiling water it is much simpler to do it in the oven.

Pre-heat your oven to 240 degrees, set CLEAN jars on a clean cookie sheet and "bake" for 20 minutes. Remove ea jar with tings, set on a folded towel and fill. Have the lids sterilized by having them in a small pan in boiling water.

Make sure you have a VERY clean damp cloth to wipe the rim of the jar after you fill the jar, the rim has to be EXTRA CLEAN in order to seal. Then you put on a lid (use tongs to get the lids out of the boiling water one at a time. PUt lid on jar and close with the sealing ring.

No, you do NOT have to add liquid, meat is also so full of water today that it makes it's own liquid while being processed. Just pack jars tight and make sure you do not leave any air pockets. Use the clean stem of a wooden spoon to poke around in the meat, that busts up any potential air pockets (you do the same when canning fruit or veggies) but do this before wiping the rim of the jar.

I can meat without adding anything, one can always season after openeing.

False

MUST USE A PRESSURE CANNER.  I can beef, pork and Venison.  Cut lean meat into cubes.  Put in sterile jars, but do not pack.  This is called raw pack or cold pack.  Process at 10 lbs pressure for 75 minutes for pints or 90 minutes for quarts.  It makes it's own juice.  This is great for those of us who work.  You can have a great meal on the table in a half hour.

False

Here's another question for all you meat canners? Has your meat in the pressure ever turned out mushy.? What could could be the problem if this happens?

It is interesting that so many people say to use the pressure canner instead of a hot water bath. My mother in law canned meat for nearly 50 years and so did many others as they didn't have or there was no pressure canner at that time, back in the early 1900' and they never had any problems , so did many other realtives and they all had large families of 8 to 14 and they were all healthy .

False