Flat Iron Steak--What to do with it? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Flat Iron Steak--What to do with it?

Last post Oct 03, 2009 2:25 PM by cast_iron_king . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Flat Iron Steak--What to do with it?

Something new and different.  I'm open to suggestions.

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

• Re: Flat Iron Steak--What to do with it?

Braise it.  Brown it up well and then cook in liquid - stock with a little wine works, some onion.

False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin

Well, for God's sake, what ever you do, don't talk about it's sex life. LOL LOL LOL

False

Not sure what you typically make with your flat iron, but here are a few suggestions from my kitchen

Steak and frites  

Steak au poivre 

Pan seared topped with chimichurri.  Love to dip bread in the chimichurri sauce.

Pan seared topped with a blue cheese cream sauce...or make a blue cheese alfredo sauce to serve with the steak.  

Thinly slice and make a steak sandwich.  My family's favorite is on a ciabatta roll with carmelized onions, arugula, and a sauce made from mayo, sour cream, dijon, and whole grain mustard. I can dig up the right proportions of the sauce if you'd like.   

I love Tyler Florences fajita marinade with a flat iron

Sliced for a salad made with greens, blue cheese, cherry tomatoes, onions.

False
  • Re: --What to do with it?

A Flat Iron Steak isn't new, its just the same old tough, Top Blade Steak that your granny cooked, just gussied up with a different name... and probably a higher price tag too. Since its cut from the chuck, you know there will be lots of flavor from all the connective tissue, so it is best suited to wet cooking methods.

Can you say Pressure Cooker?

False

"Wit is educated insolence." Aristotle

lindapearl
    Since its cut from the chuck, you know there will be lots of flavor from all the connective tissue, so it is best suited to wet cooking methods.

It is from the chuck, but I think better suited to a quick cooking method and not cooked past medium. I buy them quite often as they're relatively inexpensive compared to other cuts of beef.  They cook up beautifully if you marinade and/or just cook quickly.  

False
    Roll IT ,,TWIST IT and mark it with a B. Had me a CIK silly moment. Make Beef rolls chopped bacon. onion. pickle,mustard, bake ,think its called beef Rulonda.Serve over Noodles with a brown gravy.Cut in thin strips.Stuff secure with tooth picks. bake
    False

To clarify--the steak isn't new and different to me.  I'm looking for a way to prepare it that is new and different.

2bmwmom
    Pan seared topped with a blue cheese cream sauce...or make a blue cheese alfredo sauce to serve with the steak.

Hmmmmm....

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

lindapearl

Since its cut from the chuck, you know there will be lots of flavor from all the connective tissue, so it is best suited to wet cooking methods.

Can you say Pressure Cooker?

Or crock pot - I've cooked them that way, too.  Flat Iron steak is just a spencer roast cut up.  I have the butcher cut mine an inch think (or a little thicker), brown them well in oil or butter, and either put them in the crock pot or just add beef stock to the pan, a cut-up onion, and some carrots and celery.  Cook low and slow until they are falling apart tender.  Yum!  

False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin

I have never made anything with a Flat Iron Steak -- don't even know if they are in our grocery stores, possibly a regional thing?

So...I am interested to see what ideas are posted and I will watch when I go shopping to see if they have this type of steak.

False

♀♀ = Love

♂♂ = Love

♀♂ = Love

A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others. -the movie Barnyard

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived!

Click for Milwaukee, Wisconsin Forecast

I was looking for recipes earlier and printed one out for smothered round steak and gravy. You could use flank steak instead, I would think.

http://www.emerils.com/recipe/4797/Smothered-Round-Steak-&-Gravy

False

When we were visiting friends, flat iron steak was prepared as kabobs after being marinated overnight in the following:

1/2 c canola oil

1/2 c soy sauce

4T ketchup

2T vinegar

1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped

black pepper to taste

Mix together, add meat/veggies/poulty/shrimp, whatever you'd like.

Baste with the marinade while on the grill.

In addition to the flat iron steak, she also had chicken strips, zuchinni, pineapple and onions.  It was wonderful.

False

to quote from the omaha steak booklet, "our flat iron steak is extra juicy and tender with a robust, beefy flavor thats delicious grilled, broiled or pan fried.  big on flavor, yet completely trimmed, this popular steak is catching on with steak lovers everywhere".  recipe??follows: "thaw in fridge, remove from package, pat steaks dry with paper towel.  brush with olive oil if desired (this does not have anything to do witth sex, its just if you want olive oil)...season and broil or grill..."..

i wood think you could go from there...lo

i typed this out for people who don't know what a flat iron steak is...

False

We love FIS's.  They are wonderful to marinate and slap on grill. Don't over cook, let cool then slice really thin.  Here's a marinade that is wonderful.Use your judgement on how much oil and vinegar depending on the size of the meat. I usually buy larger ones cuze dh likes leftovers for lunch.

3/4 c olive oil

1/2 c red wine vinegar

3 T lemon juice

3 T Marjorum

2 T Thyme

1 bay leaf, crushed.

3 T onion flakes.

Marinate at least four hours. I usually do them overnight.  If the meat is about an inch thick, grill about 9/10 mins per side. Rest a few minutes....the meat, that is or sit and have a martini, then slice really thin.  Trust me, this stuff is yummo.

I also like to marinate them in honey terriyaki for several hours. The great thing about FIS is they really take on the marinades as they are so porous and they don't dry out on the grill.  Just soaking them in wine w/garlic is good too.  Let me know if you try the majorum one. It's really super.

False

Is there a greater fault than being conscious of the other person's faults?

Kahlil Gibran

Info and recipes to be found at: 

bbq.about.com/od/steaks/a/aa051207a.htm

False