What A Crack Pot... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What A Crack Pot...

Last post Oct 14, 2009 8:02 PM by Widdle_NY . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • What A Crack Pot...

My fairly new crock pot has a crack.   Not sure how this happened.   I know it gets very, very hot on the low setting...thank you Uncle Sam...Super Angry.   Has anyone else had this problem?   And, do you think it's because it gets too hot or are they just making junk these days?  I'm kind of leaning towards the junk thing.  lol.  

We have another crock pot that's over 35 years old and the low setting really is low.  And, it works perfect.   That's what I get for wanting something new and pretty.   Prettier and newer is not necessarily better.  :(  

I could order another another one on line but I don't know if I really want to now.

Would you?

Thanks!

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

• Re: What A Crack Pot...

I'd start by contacting the manufacturer.  Even if the pot is out of warrantee, it can't hurt to see what they have to say.  Maybe it's a design/manufacturing defect and they'll do something for you.  And their response may help you make up your mind.  If their customer service is relatively disinterested in your satisfaction, it would steer me toward either not replacing it or getting a different brand next time around.

False

I would also contact the manufactor. I am wondering, did you use those slow cooker lines in it? I had my crock pot crack after I used one of those in it, I believe the plastic liner caused it to crack.

False

My West Bend programable crockpot developed a crack and it wasn't 2 years old.  I emailed them and there is a replacement liner, but the liner was $15 and the shipping was $16!  So I bought an new Rival oval one for $25 and I think that it gets hotter even on the low setting.  I think that it is the new heating elements, seems like there are "hot" spots. Guess that newer isn't always better!

Mamajack

False

I don't know if this helps or not, but this is what my owner's guide to my Rival stoneware insert crockpot says...

Low = 200F; High = 300F. 

You CAN cook frozen foods in a crockpot- you just have to be careful.  You must add warm liquid (about a cup) if cooking a large piece of meat, like a chicken.  The stoneware bowl doesn't tolerate sudden temperature changes, and will crack.

I would think plastic would crack in much the same way and, if especially brittle, might crack if something hard was dropped in it.

I dunno if that helps or not...

False

The new crockpots cook way too hot on low.   DH bought me a nice Hamilton Beach pot a couple of years ago.   I used it once and the food burned on low.  The chili was boiling rapidly!  

So I emailed Hamilton Beach, and they told me the new ones cook at such a high temp because it's safer for the food!   The old ones cooked too low, and there was a chance of the food becoming spoiled.  

WHAT???   How many of us have died from eating food cooked in the old ones?  None that I know of.   With the old ones, you could put the food in before you went to work, and come home to a perfectly cooked meal.  It just gently simmered all day.    Not any more. 

So my new pot just sits, and I bought an electric stock pot from QVC.   It cooks from simmer to 450 degrees.   It cycles on and off just like an electric fry pan does.   I have had great luck with that once I get the temp fine tuned.   And it can double as a deep fryer, too.  

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

Thank you all so much for your replies and your help.   I am going to do some of the things you suggested.   I'll get in touch with Rival.   See what they have to say.   Can't hurt, right?   I have never used those liners.   I've never even seen them.   

Thank You all again for your help.   If they send me a new one (I am a dreamer)  I'll have you all over for my famous French Onion soup.   Oh, wth,  come over anyway and I'll whip it up in the old and reliable crock pot!  

Thanks!

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

Widdle_NY
    Oh, wth,  come over anyway and I'll whip it up in the old and reliable crock pot!  

I'm on my way to hop a Travel, Widdle.  I'll stop at the bakery on my way to the airport and pick up some freshly baked French Bread!  Yes

False

Good luck, Widdle!

My crockpot is about 4 years old and the low setting is too hot as well.  For the life of me I don't understand why they don't put a regular thermostat (like on a oven) in those things instead of forcing you to choose between the lesser of two evils.

False
    "...good things come to those who wait. True, but unless you're making a souffle or catching the bus, better things come to those who do something."--Amy Alkon demotivational posters
    see more

WashingtonChou
    For the life of me I don't understand why they don't put a regular thermostat

I know!   They could either do that or just take the low setting off because it's just a nob.   There's no such thing as low.   Even when I put mine on warm it still bubbles!   The old one just has high and low and they work just fine.

Krissy,  that sounds good!   Nothing warms up  a chilly Fall evening than a BIG bowl of homemade French Onion soup and good friends!   I'll be here!  Smile

False