What is a tassie pan? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What is a tassie pan?

Last post Oct 17, 2009 2:15 PM by dreyfuss . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • What is a tassie pan?

I found a recipe for black bottom cupcakes and it said to use either cupcake liners or a tassie pan and I have never heard of this. Can you help?

False
  • Re: What is a tassie pan?

Tassie pan is just another name for muffin pan.  

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

A "tassie pan" is just a standard muffin pan. I believe the terminology is used more in the south.
    False

I thought a tassie pan was a mini-muffin pan but not sureConfused

False

Pecan, Caramel, Chocolate, Peanut...
    Tassies, Tassies and more Tassies!

By Cynthia Bowan
    Return to Index

The holiday season means many things, depending on who you are, your family traditions, ethnic heritage and faith. But to serious cooks, to those of us who love nothing more than baking up a storm in the kitchen (so to speak <G>), the holidays are an excuse for baking cookies.

Even with just one of our five children living at home, there is still a need for me to bake. Now granted, the other four plus a daughter-in-law, three grandsons and assorted friends of the children et al, will be in and out of our home during this time. So I had better have something available to share with a cup of tea, or coffee or even a hot punch.

Baking usually involves time and effort. So sometimes I find a shortcut, like using bought cookie dough, but mostly, I look for large batch cookies, or something that will give me many variations on a basic recipe. That is why I love Tassies.

If you do not know what tassies are, you are missing something wonderful. Basically, tassies are cookies baked in tiny muffin tins. The dough is usually made from butter, flour and cream cheese, but this too can vary with graham cracker crumbs, pie dough or a sour cream dough. The first known recipe in American cooking were the ones made with the cream cheese dough and a pecan pie-type filling.

No one knows for sure where tassies originated. Perhaps they originated in the Southern US because pecans are native there, and the most common seem to be the 'pecan tassies.' There is basically no information on the history in cookbooks or cooking sites. This is the closest information that can be found in a couple of Webster's dictionaries...

Tasses or tassets: from the French word 'tassette'...a small pocket, pouch, or small cup.
        tasse (noun): [perhaps from Middle French tasse purse, pouch] First appeared circa 1548

Tasses: French Term: moule à timbale
        Phraseology: beurrer les moules à timbale ou des tasses.

English Term: timbale mold
        Phraseology: a timbale..is..cooked in special molds known as timbale molds.

'La tasse' means 'the cup' in English so I'm sure this is the right track regarding the origin of the term 'tassies'.

Someone else wrote that “tassies” are old Scottish for "little cups."

So, the mystery goes on, but not the variations…folks are even using the tassie pans to create delicious appetizers. I have been experimenting with chocolate cookie crumb crusts and various fillings, from chocolate mousse to a Midori liquor (melon-flavored) custard. They aren’t perfected yet, so maybe by next December I will be able to share them. <GBG>

I do have to admit to a weakness, though…I bake a couple types of tassies for weddings or other special occasions, and along with the holiday season, these are the only times I make the Caramel Dream tassies.

Why?

Because I would sit and eat them until I couldn’t take another bite. They have to be one of the most fabulous cookies ever created. They are better than Pecan tassies, better than my Mocha Mountains (check out my previous columns, think the recipe is in May 2003)…you just cannot believe how marvelous they are.

So of course, I am going to share them with you. <GBG>

Why should I be the only one so tempted???

At any rate, I offer you the following tassie recipes. The variations are endless, and the enjoyment even more so. May you and yours have a blessed, wonderful holiday season, and may you Enjoy! the following. And as always, CYH – consider yourself hugged!!! As for me, I am off to the kitchen to begin baking…
    Cream Cheese Dough

* 1/2 cup butter, softened
        * 1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
        * 1 cup all-purpose flour

Beat butter and cream cheese until well mixed. Stir in the flour. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour, if desired.

Shape the dough into 24 balls; place in ungreased 1-1/2-inch muffin pans.

Press dough evenly against bottom and up sides of each muffin cup.

Note: dough recipe can easily be doubled.
    Sour Cream Dough

* 1 cup unsalted butter
        * 1 cup sour cream
        * 2 large egg yolks
        * 2 cups flour, sifted

Mix dough ingredients as for pie crust. Roll into 2" in diameter rolls and slice into approximately 36 portions. Press into muffin cups. Makes 4 doz.
    Original Pecan Tassies

* Cream Cheese dough for 2 dozen tassies
        * 1 beaten egg
        * 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
        * 1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
        * 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Combine all filling ingredients; set aside. Make dough and fill pans. Fill each tassie cup with about 1 heaping teaspoon filling. Bake at 325-F degrees for about 30 minutes or till pastry is golden and filling is puffed. Cool slightly in the pan, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack. Yields 24
    Caramel Dream Tassies (my favorite <G>)

* Cream Cheese dough for 4 dozen tassies
        * 14 oz. pkg. caramels (unwrapped, <g>)
        * 3/4 cup evaporated milk, divided
        * 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
        * 1/2 cup shortening
        * 2/3 cup sugar
        * 1 tsp. vanilla
        * ground nuts

Melt caramels with 1/2 c. milk in microwave or double boiler. Spoon into baked Tassie shells, about 2/3 full.

In a small bowl, blend butter and shortening, mixing well. Set aside for 20 minutes. In another bowl, blend sugar, remaining 1/4 c. milk, and vanilla. Set aside for 20 minutes.

Combine the two bowls into a large bowl. Using a mixer, whip on high until cream. Next, spoon this frosting on top of the caramel layer, and then sprinkle with ground nuts. Makes 4 dozen cookies.

Note: It is best to use miniature cupcake papers in pans.
    Cranberry-Pecan Tassies

* Cream Cheese dough for 2 dozen cookies
        * 1 egg
        * 1 teaspoon vanilla
        * Dash salt
        * 1/3 cup finely chopped cranberries
        * 3 tablespoons chopped pecans

In a mixing bowl beat egg, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt just until smooth. Stir in cranberries and pecans. Spoon filling into the pastry-lined muffin cups.

Bake tassies in a 325F. oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Cool in pans on wire racks. Remove from pans by running a knife around the edges. Store in airtight container. Makes 24 tassies.
    Lemon Curd Tassies

* Cream Cheese Dough for 2 dozen tassies
        * 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
        * 3 eggs, well beaten
        * 1 1/4 c. sugar
        * 1/3 c. lemon juice
        * 1/4 c. butter

Fill 2 tassie pans with dough. Bake tart shells at 400F for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool in pans.

To Make Filling: In saucepan combine eggs, sugar, lemon juice and butter. Cook and stir over low heat till thick, about 15 minutes.

Remove from heat; stir in lemon peel. Chill. Spoon a rounded tsp. of filling into each shell. If desired, you can top with toasted slivered almonds. Chill.
    Brownie Tassies

* Cream Cheese dough for 2 dozen tassies
        * 1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
        * 2 T. butter
        * 1/3 c. sugar
        * 1 egg, beaten
        * 1 tsp. vanilla
        * whole filberts

Melt chips and butter in saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar, egg, and vanilla. Place a whole filbert in center of each pastry-lined cup. Top with 1 round tsp. of chocolate mixture. Bake as directed. Makes about 2 dozen.
    Chocolate Pecan Tassies

Filling: for 24 Tassies

* 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
        * 1 square (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate
        * 1 teaspoon vanilla
        * 1 egg, beaten
        * Dash salt
        * 3/4 cup chopped pecans.

Melt butter and chocolate in saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat. Blend in sugar, vanilla, egg and salt; beat until thick. Stir in pecans. Spoon about 1 teaspoon filling into each unbaked pastry shell. Bake at 350° F. for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned and filling is set.

Cool in pans on wire racks. Remove from pans; store in airtight containers.

A favorite of St. Paul's Episcopal Cathedral in Oklahoma City, OK
    Pumpkin Filling:

* 1 recipe cream cheese pastry
        * 1 egg
        * 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
        * 1/4 cup sugar
        * 1/4 cup milk
        * 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Beat all ingredients together. Fill unbaked Tassie crusts; bake at 350F for 5 minutes.
    Peanut Butter Cup Tassies

OK, this is a cheating recipe. <g> Kids LOVE to help make this - and to make the cookies disappear!

Use refrigerated peanut butter cookie dough OR your favorite recipe. Place small portions in tassie pans, but do NOT form shells as they will puff up while baking.

Bake the tassies for 8-10 min. at 350F. Remove from oven, immediately press 1 miniature peanut butter cup (unwrapped <g>) into each tassie. Press down until the candy is level with the tin. Let set in pans 15-20 min. on counter. Remove and cool. Makes about 4 doz.
    Date-Nut Tarts

* Sour cream dough for 4 dozen tassies
        * 2 c. nuts, ground
        * 1/8 lb. dates, ground
        * 1/2 c. sugar
        * 1/4 c. milk

Make filling by combining ingredients and cooking until well blended, a few minutes. Let cool before filling tart shells. Fill and bake at 350ºF. for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
    Sour Cream Almond Tarts

* Sour Cream Dough for 4 dozen tassies
        * 1/2 c. sugar
        * 1 1/2 c. almonds, finely ground
        * 2 lg. egg whites, stiffly beaten

Cream butter and mix with sour cream and egg yolks. Beat well. Blend in flour and roll into small balls. Place in refrigerator until cold. Press into tiny muffin pans about 1" in diameter, fill, and bake until light golden brown at 350º .

To prepare filling, fold sugar and ground nuts into stiffly beaten egg white.

Fill pastry cups; bake until light golden brown at 350º. Makes 4 dozen tassies.

Rose Levy Beranbaum's book Rose's Christmas Cookies. It makes 24 mini-cheesecakes that keep for a week in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
    Mini-Cheesecakes

* 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
        * 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
        * 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
        * 1/3 cup sugar
        * 1 large egg
        * 2 tablespoons sour cream
        * 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
        * 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

In med bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs and butter until evenly mixed. Spoon two rounded teaspoons into the mini-muffin tin depressions that have been sprayed with Pam or buttered. Press into the bottoms and up the sides.

Softem the cream cheese. In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar about 3 minutes until very smooth, preferably with the whisk beater. Beat in the egg, scraping the sides of the bowl. Add vanilla and lemon juice and beat until incorporated. Add sour cream and beat just until the mixture is blended.

Fill each graham cracker cup almost to the top with the batter, using a spoon or a reclosable quart-size freezer bag with a corner cut off.

Set the mini muffing pans on baking sheets in the oven. Bake for ten minutes. For even baking, rotate the pans from top to bottom and front to back halfway through the baking period. The cakes will puff up but deflate on cooling, leaving shallow hollows perfect for filling with toppings.

Cool completely in the pans on wire racks.

Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

To unmold, fill the sink with a few inches of hot tap water. Carefully dip each pan into the water for about 30 seconds, being careful to not let the water get to the top of the pan.

Use a small metal spatula to slip in between the sides of the cakes and the pan to pop out the cakes. There is no need to run the spatula around the sides; the hot water makes unmolding easy.
    Sausage Cups

* pastry for double crust pie (9")
        * 1 lb. bulk hot or sweet sausage
        * 6-8 green onions, finely chopped
        * 3-4 T. butter
        * 3/4 c. chopped mushrooms
        * 3/4 tsp. salt
        * 1/4 tsp. pepper
        * 1/4 c. flour
        * 2 c. whipping cream
        * 1 c. shredded cheese (your choice - Swiss,
        * Cheddar, etc.)
        * chopped ripe olives

On lightly floured surface, roll pastry to 1/8" thick. Cut with a 2 1/2" round cookie cutter. Press into the bottom and up sides of tassie pans. Bake at 400F. 6-89 min., or lightly browned. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.

In skillet, brown sausage; drain well and set aside. Add butter to skillet, saute onions and mushrooms. Sprinkle salt, pepper and flour over this. Add cream, bring to boil, stirring constantly. Return sausage to skillet, mix well. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 6-8 min.

Spoon into pastry cups; sprinkle with cheese. Place filled tassies on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350F for 10 min. or until cheese is melted. Top with a few pieces of sliced or chopped ripe olives.

Serve hot. Makes 4 doz.
    Crab Bites

4 sheets phyllo dough, thawed

Unroll phyllo dough, cover with plastic wrap.

remove one sheet and place on flat surface or cutting board; brush lightly with some of the melted butter. Place another phyllo sheet on top of the first, brush with butter. Repeat with remaining phyllo and butter. Cut phyllo stack lengthwise into fourn 18" long strips. Cut each strip into 6 rectangles. Use same amount of butter and technique to make and bake 3 doz. or so tassies. Cool as the recipe directs.

Filling:

* 3 oz. cream cheese with chives, softened
        * 1/4 c. finely chopped green onion
        * 1/4 c. finely shredded carrots
        * 2 T. finely chopped red bell pepper
        * few dashes hot pepper sauce
        * 6 oz. crab meat, drained and flaked

Combine first 5 ingredients in small bowl, gently stir in crab meat, set aside while shells bake. Fill shells. Place on ungreased, parchment or foil-lined baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, at 375F, 12 min. or so, until golden. Serve warm. Makes 3 doz.
    Cheese-Apple Cups

* 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
        * 3/4 c. finely shredded gjetost cheese
        * 4 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
        * 1/4 c. butter, melted (NO margarine)
        * 2 T. milk
        * 1/2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
        * ground nutmeg
        * 1/2 of a small red apple, cored and thinly sliced, with slices halved
        * 1/2 of a small green apple, cored and thinly sliced, with slices halved
        * lemon juice

Have cheese at room temperature. Unroll phyllo dough, cover with plastic wrap. Rremove one sheet and place on flat surface or cutting board; brush lightly with some of the melted butter. Place another phyllo sheet on top of the first, brush with butter. Repeat with remaining phyllo and butter. Cut phyllo stack lengthwise into fourn 18" long strips. Cut each strip into 6 rectangles.

Press each rectangle gently into a 1 3/4" tassie cup, pleating to fit. If desired, use a tart shaper (I don't...) Bake at 350F, 6-7 min. or until golden. Cool for 5 min. in pan. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire racks.

Beat cream cheese, gjetost cheese, milk and lemon peel in a medium mixing bowl with an electric mixer until well combined. To serve, pipe mixture into cooled phyllo cups, or spoon a scant 1 T. of mixture into each. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Brush apple slices with lemon juice; garnish each tassie with two half apple slices, one red and one green. Makes 2 doz.

To make ahead: refrigerate baked tassies and filling separately up to 24 hrs. Remove from refrigerator and assemble 30 min. before serving.

Note: Gjetost is a Norwegian cheese, which has a slightly caramel color and flavor, and a firm, smooth texture.

From BH&G Appetizers, 1998
    Crab Tassies (yields 24)

* Cream cheese dough for 2 dozen tassies
        * 1 # crab meat(fresh crab is best)
        * 1/2 cup REAL mayonnaise
        * 1 tablespoon lemon juice
        * 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
        * 2 small green onions, finely chopped
        * 1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
        * 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
        * 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
        * Dash of Tabasco

Make dough. Press into tassie pans. Mix crab with remaining ingredients and spoon into unbaked shells. Bake at 350F until golden, approximately 30 minutes.

False

rrpinin

That's what I thought.

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

Alaska_Prof

rrpinin

That's what I thought.

Alaska_Prof
    I thought a tassie pan was a mini-muffin pan

That's exactly what they are.

False

Summer74
    tassie wooden tamper

A "tassie tamper?"  And if you could not find your tassie tamper and you got really angry, would you have a tassie tamper temper tantrum?  And what if someone messes with your tassie tamper?  You'd have a tampered tassie tamper temper tantrum. 

I'll just stop there.

My mom used to make pecan tassies with the cream cheese dough.  It's something I'd like to try to make - they are really very simple but yum are they good!

False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin

hee hee - that's funny!

False

Debbie_BayVillage
    A "tassie tamper?"  And if you could not find your tassie tamper and you got really angry, would you have a tassie tamper temper tantrum?  And what if someone messes with your tassie tamper?  You'd have a tampered tassie tamper temper tantrum. 

Big Smile

False

I bought some very shallow cupcake pans that are no more than 1/4' to 1/2 " deep.  I have used them for muffin top muffins.  These would work for the tassies I think.  I got these about 6 or 7 years ago and I will try these recipes.  Thanks to the poster who put these up.

Sandybells

False

"Anyone can oppose, it's fun to be against things, but there comes a time when you have to start being for things as well."

I have one of those wooden tampers, one end is for mini muffin pans, the other for regular size. A very hand thing to have.

tasse is not only French for "cup" but also in German

Tasse  = cup

Kaffeetasse  = coffee cup

Teetasse = tea cup

Untertasse = saucer

Taess'chen = small cup 

False

I have a wooden tamper, too! Love it as it keeps the dough out from under my fingernails.

Gre_lo, "tass" is also Scots. . . rather universal. LOL  

False