packaging food items for craft fairs | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

packaging food items for craft fairs

Last post Oct 22, 2009 11:03 AM by MarthaM . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • packaging food items for craft fairs

Hello, first of all, I'm new here. My name is Michelle Clark, and I live in Lexington, NC.

My question is related to packaging food items for sale at craft fairs & bake sales. My daughter and I love to make cookies, cupcakes, muffins to sell at a couple of craft fairs I participate in, but I 'd like some kind of nifty ideas to package the muffins in to sell like 4 in a package. I guess I could make some little boxes to put them in or go to the bakery & buy some but I don't really want to spend a lot of money on the packaging. I realize you have to spend money to make money but in our economy depressed county of NC, it's going to be hard to make any money at all at the craft fairs.

Any help from you really smart thrifty ladies will be immensely appreciated.

False
    Michelle Clark
  • Re: packaging food items for craft fairs

I don't want to discourage you in anyway, but I would never, ever buy homemade baked goods at a craft fair.  The main reason is we have SEVERE nut allergies in this house.  The second is I have a hard time trusting in the sanitation of anybody else's kitchen.  Not that I have the most sanitary kitchen in the world, but then I'm only infecting my family!  I have the same problem with potlucks.  Just my own paranoia!

But you might try origami boxes.  They're easy to make in any size.  Can make them in a variety of materials as long as they are not too stiff.  Card stock could be used.  Google "origami boxes".  I used to have my kindergardeners make them for parent presents.  They could handle it with some supervision.  Hopefully that will work for you.  You also might want to try some "party store" in your area.  They sell cellophane bags of various sizes with the ties.  They're pretty cheap.  You could probably order them online too.

Cathy

False

We just had a megally huge---- blocks of roads are blocked off--shuttle service--mega food and craft show in the one nearby town for two weekends. ITS Mandated here that all food at the craft show be done up to health code. NO ONE! is allowed food out of their own kitchen. This  has put a real damper on many church, organizations, and other groups that ended up shutting down a couple years ago. When the health department came  through  a couple years ago and mandated all people be inspected and up to code. NO ONE was allowed any food out of their own kitchen.  They also needed the proper permits to even have food at different stands and be ready to be inspected during the craft show. I just helped with a fun raiser for a food pantry the one weekend and the inspectors were through. We also had to have hair nets, and gloves on while preparing the food and serving. 

Granite you want to earn some money of your own. But now adays a lot of areas where the casual bake sale or soup sale or yard sale is no more with out being inspected. If your area is not inspected, all it takes is one phone call by someone and you can be in major trouble.

Do want to say WELCOME!! Just be careful you are on a public board. Placing your real full name and where you live is not a wise decision. To many people browse and are not members or you have members and in today's society you DO NOT...place information  like your name and where you live on the internet. WTMI!!!

False

Baked goods and homemade food items are always part of the smaller craft fairs around here, usually held at churches. I got the impression that the OP was talking about something like that, rather than a rigidly-controlled mega-fair.

I have no problem buying food items at craft fairs. I don't see any greater risk than that which comes from eating at a restaurant and food stand that IS subject to health dept. regulations. Just because the regulations are there doesn't mean those folks are following them to the letter. I think each person just has to decide what their comfort zone is. I like homemade baked goods, so I don't quake in fear when I see them at a craft fair.

As far as packaging... I like when they're decorated up, but don't mind a bit if they're just on a plate with plastic wrap or a baggie around them otherwise. I'd buy cookies or cupcakes if they're just on a paper plate if there's pretty ribbon or a colorful handmade tag on it, saying what it is. I'm more likely to buy from someone who takes that kind of time with what they're selling, rather than from someone who uses more costly boxes. I guess I'm saying the personal touch is what makes the difference for me.

False
        I believe in God. Only I spell it N-a-t-u-r-e. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright