OUCH! Burned My Wrist on the Oven Rack...Now What?! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OUCH! Burned My Wrist on the Oven Rack...Now What?!

Last post Oct 23, 2009 2:38 PM by Widdle_NY . 27 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12
  • OUCH! Burned My Wrist on the Oven Rack...Now What?!
    • Surprise [:O]

Given my total lack of grace, I should be much more knowledgeable about First Aid.

Alas...not so much. Embarrassed 

I've already got a good red welt on my wrist & it really smarts...other than ice, what else should I do?!

Thanks!

Krissy~~~ 

False
  • Re: OUCH! Burned My Wrist on the Oven Rack...Now What?!

Unless you keep the ice on there indefinately it will burn for a while.  I usually put some first aid cream and loosely cover with a gauze pad or similar if its a large area, or a bandaid if its small.

False

The best first aid for any injury is.......no housework, no cooking.  Just sit back and let the body heal itself.  Turn off the phone, watch tv, read a book.  Whatever you do, don't do anything productive!

False

Big ouchy...awww. Ice has always been what I use on a burn. Not sure what the reasoning is behind it, but it makes me feel better thinking I am doing something about it. Wonder if something like Orajel might be helpful? Or lanacane or calamine lotion?

False

Other than kissing it to make the hurt go way, do you have first aid spray? or sun burn spray
    False

Also it will hurt like hell everytime you get it near heat! If it blisters, try not to break it!

False

Limey_SE_Texas
    I usually put some first aid cream and loosely cover with a gauze pad or similar if its a large area, or a bandaid if its small.

Thanks, Limey.  Appreciate the help.  I have a big Bandaid on it with some Neosporin. 

Thanks again!  Big Smile

False

This is from Mayoclinic.com

For minor burns, including first-degree burns and second-degree burns limited to an area no larger than 3 inches (7.5 centimeters) in diameter, take the following action:

• Cool the burn. Hold the burned area under cold running water for at least five minutes, or until the pain subsides. If this is impractical, immerse the burn in cold water or cool it with cold compresses. Cooling the burn reduces swelling by conducting heat away from the skin. Don't put ice on the burn.
    • Cover the burn with a sterile gauze bandage. Don't use fluffy cotton, which may irritate the skin. Wrap the gauze loosely to avoid putting pressure on burned skin. Bandaging keeps air off the burned skin, reduces pain and protects blistered skin.
    • Take an over-the-counter pain reliever. These include aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others), naproxen (Aleve) or acetaminophen (Tylenol, others). Never give aspirin to children or teenagers.

Minor burns usually heal without further treatment. They may heal with pigment changes, meaning the healed area may be a different color from the surrounding skin. Watch for signs of infection, such as increased pain, redness, fever, swelling or oozing. If infection develops, seek medical help. Avoid re-injuring or tanning if the burns are less than a year old — doing so may cause more extensive pigmentation changes. Use sunscreen on the area for at least a year.

Caution

• Don't use ice. Putting ice directly on a burn can cause frostbite, further damaging your skin.
    • Don't apply butter or ointments to the burn. This could prevent proper healing.
    • Don't break blisters. Broken blisters are vulnerable to infection.

I've done that before - ouch!  Now, I won't reach into the oven without my big Pampered Chef oven mitts.

What are you baking?

False

WOW!

I was replying to Limey & a whole bunch of you helpful folks show up. 

Thanks most kindly, Everyone!  Big Smile

False

Matthewsmom_MN
    Now, I won't reach into the oven without my big Pampered Chef oven mitts.

Oh, sure.  Now you tell me!  Wink

Matthewsmom_MN
    What are you baking?

I was roasting Pumpkin Seeds.  Which turned out quite deliciously, I might add.  Yes

False

The best thing I have found is a tube of aloe vera jel. Mine came from GNC and cost 99 cents about 2 yrs. ago. It helps with the pain and takes the red away.

False

See if a doctor will call  you in a script for Silvadene burn cream - it's like antibiotic ointment on steriods.  (I won't lie - it is expensive, but a little goes a looooooooooooooong way).

That stuff is a miracle and healed my injuries in half the time the normal treatments do.  It's healed about 95% of my burns and cuts with no scarring and NO infections.  Thankfully, since I work in a kitchen, my doctor gave me a big container of it.

Oh, and you don't want to use straight ice on a burn - you can damage the skin and cause it to get frostbite.  Cold or cool water is better.  Try not to put anything greasy or oily on it for a few hours (keeps the heat in!).  Don't pop the blister (it's protecting the skin).  Try not to touch it to prevent infection.  Use a good burn cream if you can't get Silvadene and lightly cover it with gauze (it still needs to breathe a little).

False

Krissy what are we going to do with you?  Wrap you in cotton batting?  Goodness!  Kitchen burns are no fun.  I always have a can of Dermoplast - it's a first aid spray - works great on burns, bug bites, minor cuts, and sunburn. 

False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin

Summer74
    You need to go sit on the sofa with your hands in your lap and not move or attempt anything else before your surgery, young lady!  Surprise

I know!  I'm almost terrified of what might happen when I do my Blonde-Goo Routine this afternoon.  Indifferent

No NSAIDs.  Had my last one on Monday.  Boy Howdy...I didn't realize how much good Aleve really does.   Tongue Tied

Hope YOU are feeling better this afternoon! Huh?

False