Does anyone know why you can't wear make-up , nail polish, for surgery? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Does anyone know why you can't wear make-up , nail polish, for surgery?

Last post Jun 30, 2004 2:51 PM by Tamar74_NE . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Does anyone know why you can't wear make-up , nail polish, for surgery?
    The nurse said not to wear make - up, nail or toe polish for my surgery. I don't wear polish. Just wondering. I didn't think till tonight, I wonder if deodorant would be one you can't use?
    False

catmint

• RE: Does anyone know why you can't wear make-up , nail polish, for surgery?
    Can't use deoderant for mammograms because it might have aluminum in it. That would show up on the xray
    False
    You can't wear polish because they need to see the color of your fingernails....maybe something about monitoring your circulation. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I know it's something like that. Don't know about the rest of makeup, though.
    False
    Because they want you to look like... (it starts w/an S)

I'm serious. :O)

False
    OK, makes sense. My DD said the same about the nail color. She is a pretty smart child, of 19, is she. LOL
    False

catmint

So I guess I can wear deo. then. since it probably isn't because of chemicals.
    False

catmint

OH, SHOOT!! That means I can't leave my socks on! YUCK! I hate my feet, ugly.

Guess I need to wash them, huh. LOL JUst kidding. But they are ugly.
    False

catmint

ill feel naked without my socks. :(
    False

catmint

You can't wear nail polish because they wanna look at the color of your nails. If they turn blue, you aren't getting enough oxygen.
    False
    I think they will let you wear socks.
    False
    It's mostly so they can monitor your skin tones...nail polish interferes with the oxygen monitor that they put on your finger. They can tell a lot about your oxygen level by looking at your skin tones. Also, make-up, lotion, etc can interfere with how well some monitoring and grounding devices adhere to your skin.
    False
    Cat, don't worry!

I've been on the operating table several times and I always wore socks.

It's freezing in operating rooms!
    False

When I had my surgery, I had artifical nails on and they said nothing about it. I guess as long as they can see your toe nails you'll be okay... As far as make-up I don't think that matters..
    False
    Sissy6
    You can't wear makeup because it will give you artificial color and they want to see if you're ashey or have a pallor. Can indicate shock. And nails need to be clear so they can see if they're bluish (can indicate heart or circulation prob) No deodorant either, aluminum salicilate in it can mess up any radiology. And don't take any aspirin or tylenol for last 48 hrs before surgery.
    False
    Don't worry Catmint - when I had my surgery they gave me socks to wear. I even got to take them home! LOL~
    False