Feel like I am being harassed but I guess not | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Feel like I am being harassed but I guess not

Last post Oct 30, 2009 5:48 PM by the pink baker . 46 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1234
  • Feel like I am being harassed but I guess not

For weeks I have been getting calls at home-they come up as "private" on the caller ID.  Thinking it was just sales calls, I havent answered.  We have an unlisted number.  Well on Monday I started getting them frequently-at least 5 an hour.   Yesterday am they started at 4am-yes FOUR IN THE MORNING.  They kept on calling back so I thought it was something serious so I finally answered.  No one spoke but I could hear certain things in the background.  Well I had the calls traced but my phone company will only release the information in writting so I have to wait for it to be mailed to me....unless I file a police report and they can have the trace.  So I called my local keystone cops to file a police report.  GEEZ O PETE I guess I interupted donut time!  The cop who shows up could care less.  VERY flippant and I practically had to beg him to take my info.  He asked what exactly the person on the other end said and when I said that they do not say anything, just stay on the line for awhile and finally hang up, he said and EXACT quote..."Thats not harassment!"  Calls at all hours of the day constantly for days in NOT harassment??????????  SERIOUSLY??????  Then he accused me of being late on bills and saying it must be bill collectors!  NOT THE CASE AT ALL!   I called to speak to the freaking police chief but he wont return my calls.  They will not run an instant trace because they feel its not warranted!!!!!!  I am on NO sleep.  My DH, who is out of state during the week could honestly care less.  His response was and I quote "Just dont answer the phone!".  I also do not want to put the phone on silence because what if someone important is trying to get ahold of me?

Am I wrong to think that something should be done?  I dont know what more I can do.  I dont have anywere else to go.  I have 2 children at home.   No one seems to care!

False
  • Re: Feel like I am being harassed but I guess not

can your phone company block that number from calling you????  or do they need that in writing too????

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Have you checked with your phone company to see if they can block that number?

False

Every day I’m shufflin’

Good grief!  What county are you in?  I hope not mine!  Edgar.

False

I can see why it would be irritating, but it's not something I'd ever call the police over. I think they have better things to do. I'd wait to get the info in the mail and then decide if you want to change your phone number. In the meantime, then yes... I'd turn off the ringer at night. I do that every night myself.

False
        I believe in God. Only I spell it N-a-t-u-r-e. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Home alone at night with kids in the house.....seems to me someone ought to be concerned besides just you! ....especially your husband.

grans3

False

I agree with your DH.  It's probably some stupid telemarketer.  I get calls like that all the time.  Once you get the number in the mail, block it using *60.

False
    "...good things come to those who wait. True, but unless you're making a souffle or catching the bus, better things come to those who do something."--Amy Alkon demotivational posters
    see more

I'm sorry they're not taking your situation seriously.  Make sure you have all of your doors and windows locked all of the time. Don't get out of your car until the garage door is closed.  General precautions.  What if you were to go in to the station to talk to someone and file a complaint. Do they know you are alone because of DH's job? Talk to someone else other than the person you did.  Maybe they are too complacient in your town.

I know I'm not much help, but........ 

False

A telemarketer calling at 4 in the morning?  And I SHOULDNT have contacted the police?  The phone company is the one that TOLD me to contact the police! 

Just found out the info I am getting in the mail is NOT the number just a letter varifying that I requested a trace.  They will ONLY give the info to the police dept. 

Anyway, they cannot block without a number and I cannot get the info myself.  So I guess I just live with this crap.  They said I could block ALL numbers that come thru without a number listed on caller ID.  THere is a charge for that and it blocks ANY AND ALL numbers.  I run my business out of my house and some of my clients calls come up without a number because it goes thru a switchboard.  So I must block them too.  NICE

False

The police officer has a false impression of the law.  Even if you were late on your bills, a bill collector would not have the legal right to harass you with repeated calls at dinnertime or in the middle of the night.

On the other hand, turning off your ringer at bedtime might not be a bad idea.  

As for "it might be an emergency," an emergency for whom?  You are at home with your kids, and wouldn't leave them to deal with someone else's emergency anyway.  You husband, by suggtesting you turn the ringer off, has effectively said he'll fend for himself.  If a distant relative passes away during the night, they'll still be deceased the next morning.  If a friend or relative becomes seriously ill, they should call 911 rather than you.  When you get up, check for messages and find out all of the exciting things (or more likely nothing) which happened overnight.

Edited to add:  Do not unplug the phone overnight.  If someone actually has harmful intentions toward you, that may be what they are hoping for. 

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.

Dino, have the calls continued since you actually answered it?

False

Every day I’m shufflin’

I have heard of this working.  Get a very loud whistle and blow when they call.  You will do some damage to their ears. 

Janetplanet

False

My phone wires were crossed with a neighbor several houses down. My phone rang at all hours of the day and night, and I could hear very faint voices on the other end. Sometimes they would answer before I did and then there was no one on the other end. I called the phone company and had them check the outside lines, and sure enough, they found the problem and fixed it right away.  

Barbara

False

DinosandKayesmom_IL

I called to speak to the freaking police chief but he wont return my calls. 

Instead of waiting for him to call you back, can you march to the police depeartment and speak to someone in person? 

About 28 years ago, DH ws out of town on business and I received calls late into the night where no one was on the other end, this was before caller ID.  There were also things thrown on the roof -- stones I think.  Now this was Halloween time so it could have been some silly prank but to me, it was threatening and scared the crap out of me, expecially since I had a 5 month old baby.  I called the police and I not only had a police office but also a detective visiting me.  They were very understanding and helpful.  Never did figure out who or what  was going on but it also never happend again.

Don't take one officers comments as the be-all-end-all.  Keep asking for a person above the one who gave you the, what sounds like to me, information.

False

♀♀ = Love

♂♂ = Love

♀♂ = Love

A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others. -the movie Barnyard

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived!

Click for Milwaukee, Wisconsin Forecast

Well, then, get a separate personal phone line (or cell phone, if you prefer) and shut off the ringer on the business phone at night.

False
        I believe in God. Only I spell it N-a-t-u-r-e. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright