How much turkey would you cook for 33 people? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How much turkey would you cook for 33 people?

Last post Nov 20, 2009 4:28 AM by enjoynature . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • How much turkey would you cook for 33 people?
    Having a big crowd ! What is the rule of thumb? I make a big one even if there are only 10 of us, so I think for 33 I'll need 2 large turkeys and one breast.....plus I love the leftovers for sandwiches.......
    False
  • Re: How much turkey would you cook for 33 people?

Hum...I think rule of thumb is at least 1/2 lb. per person.  I would probably do about a 20 lb turkey or two smaller ones.  Should be pleanty of left overs.

JMO

Molly

False
    I would think with all the trimmings a 22l to 25 # one would do great unless you have huge eaters and only serve turkey with little else.
    False

sorry Molly...but the rule of thumb is 1 to 1 1/2 pounds per person....that will insure leftovers....so that is a dang lot of turkey....lol Big Smile 

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Sorry to disagree, but one site said 1 lb. of whole unstuffed turkey for each person for moderate leftovers.  And 1.3 lb. for more leftovers.   Thirty-tree people is a big crowd!    Fixing only one turkey will leave the last half in line with no turkey at all!    I think your estimate of two big ones and a breast is more like it.   I'd rather have too much than not enough.  

http://www.ehow.com/how_6590_figure-size-turkey.html

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

A woman I used to work had big crowds like this for holiday meals.   She cooked her turkeys the day before and sliced them up.   Then on the day, she put the meat in a big electric roaster with some broth on it and heated it slowly.   No bird to mess with on the day when there are so many other things to do. 

False

I always thought it was a 1/4# per person,,but guess that is the meat its self, forgot about the bird bones. Gosh I can't hardly picture a lb of turkey on a plate with dressing, pototos , greenbeans and cranberry sauce.LOL now I know why more deserts got cleaned out,,poor people were starving.I always have a ham with the turkey cause some in my family aren't bird eaters.
    False

Someone on Food Network said 1 lb. per person minimum.

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

Unless you have a large oven and roasting pan large enough to hold a 25 lb bird I would suggest two 17 to 18 pounders and an extra large breast. Normally you figure 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per person of uncooked bird. When cooked it amounts to 3/4 to 1 lb per person. Always have done three 17+ pounders plus a large ham when all the family gets together. That amounts to anywhere from 40 to 60 of us. Leaves enough for sandwiches for the game players in the late afternoon. Cooked for a crowd for a good many years.
    False

oldgirl06

A woman I used to work had big crowds like this for holiday meals.   She cooked her turkeys the day before and sliced them up.   Then on the day, she put the meat in a big electric roaster with some broth on it and heated it slowly.   No bird to mess with on the day when there are so many other things to do. 

good idea! Would this be chicken broth??  I need a electric roaster!!!  Oh how easy  the day  would be...
    False

GmaCheryl

oldgirl06

good idea! Would this be chicken broth??  I need a electric roaster!!!  Oh how easy  the day  would be...

I'm sure it was chicken broth.  Kept the meat so moist.   I think she said she tried to keep the dark meat on one end of the roaster and the white meat on the other.   She had done her turkeys that way for many years!   

I always add a lot of cans of chicken broth to the turkey juices to make my gravy, because we like tons of gravy!  

We got a big electric roaster last year, and it is wonderful to cook big hams in, too.  

False

I have cooked for crowds like the number you have gave and even larger. Get the two biggest turkeys you can find on the market. Cook both of them. If you think you still won't have enough find a medium turkey too. It's better to have more then less. Plus you can always freeze leftovers.

I always bake my turkeys the day before Thanksgiving or a party.  I bake them unitil there falling to pieces. Then I pick them clean. Place them in a container or my one roaster. I pour the seived broth from the turkey over the picked meat. Once its an inch submerged, then I know its covered with enough broth. I then place an airtight lid on top. Or the roaster lid. RULE OF THUMB!! I have learned. IF the turkey picked is visiable out of the broth or if the lid is not on securely, the turkey then will dry out. I place it in the refrigerator overnight. Then I place it in the preheated oven at 350 for 2 or 3 hours to warm up depending on how much turkey I have to warm up. I have also placed the turkey in my large slowcooker or you can use a roaster. To warm it up for several hours. I love do this when I have reunions to go to or other dinners. I have also made my turkeys ahead of time and froze them with the same rule of thumb. Let the turkey set out the day ahead of needing it. Then placed what was the frozen turkey in my slowcooker. Helps with clean up and not waiting all day for a turkey to get baked. Especially if you have more then one. Plus I want to cook and make other things for my party or dinner and I don't need a big turkey waiting to be done.

False