Someone please explain FACEBOOK to me | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Someone please explain FACEBOOK to me

Last post Nov 22, 2009 3:54 PM by MOMTLJK . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • Someone please explain FACEBOOK to me

I have a spot on FB.  I am included with others from my high school graduating class.  Is that all what FB is about, just posting your pic (if you want to) and hope people contact you?  I guess I don't understand how to use it.  I do see people that I know, but I don't really know them enough to have contact with them.

I guess I am wondering why everyone makes such a big deal out of FB.  Am I using the site right?

False

Everything is okay in the end, if it's not okay, then it's not the end.

• Re: Someone please explain FACEBOOK to me

You can stay in touch with multiple people at the same time, without having to email one at a time. I can post something and anyone on my friends list can see it and respond. You can have an on-line photo album this way, and your friends can see it wihtout you having to email each photo to everyone.

False

Ivey has a tight grip on reality and is slowly choking the crap out of it!

Veteran: -noun; someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable 'To My Country' for an amount "up to and including my life."

Advice to new nurses: Air goes in and out. Blood goes round and round. Anything else is a bad thing.

If you enjoy your freedoms, thank a soldier/sailor!

I have a page...It's an easy way to keep in touch with friends and family.  I have friends around the world and its cool to be able to "chat" with them at any time or day.  I love seeing pictures that are posted, especially of kids, vacations, etc...

My husband works in the music industry so with FB we get all of the feeds on who is playing where and when.  We get invited to events and get video posted to our page to listen to.

There are games and quizzes as well, but I don't do those.

False

I love FB! It helps our family stay connected. Our family is spread out and we as individuals can post things (much like we do here) and keep up with each others lives. Another for instance is like today....my DD is at her first show choir competition, usually family woild drive in to see it but in Texas we have a niece getting married, so deservingly that gets priority but family from the wedding are psoting the lovely things going on at the wedding and DD can post from her phone to FB what her show choir stats are and everyone can check in and stay informed.

It is a great way to share pictures and there are links for games, etc. I have found friends from second grade, old neighbors and former co-workers that I lost touch with, even some cousins I lost touch with, It's great!

When you get your friends you can chat with them or check their status to see what they are up to, send private e-mail and such.

False

Rebecca

I love Facebook - it helps me stay connected with friends and family - scattered across the world. I keep up this way with weddings, births, graduations and other lifestones in my loved ones lives.

You need to get a friends list...facebook makes it easy because it will use your email addresses in your address book to send invites to those you wish to have on your friends list (family is considered friend on FB)....the friend thing has to be agreed upon both ways. FB will send a friend request to someone you choose and they must confirm that they want to be on your friends list. Once you have  the friend thing settled, anything they post on their FB page will be seen on yours.

There is a lot of game playing on FB...virtual farming, aquarium etc...I don;'t have time and tell my friends not to bother trying to get me involved...I'm not playing and click ignore. Every so often I comment that i don;t play FB games just to remind my friends.

Hope some of this helps.

What got me really grinning with FB is that many of my school chums - class of 1963 - are on FB. We reconnected and its a riot...bunch of geriatrics going on 17 again.

False

Also when looking for work, they can find your FB and read about your life, be careful what you post in there. Young kids put all kinds of things and employers can find out who they will hire for the job. Enjoy but be careful what you post.

False

The whole thing sounds ghastly.

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

I hate Facebook, it just reminds me of all my shortcomings. I see all these people who I went to HS or College with having successful careers and families, and I have neither... I dont go on anymore because it is too depressing!

False

I really don't know much about it but most of my friends have it, I feel you open yourself up to anyone on the internet, DD doesn't have it, her friends post pics ( scarey ) and say things but she is 21yrs old and she will not have one because DH came home and said in his co. they do credit, police & facebook checks before hiring. I do know you have the right to let someone in your book so maybe you have control of it. It's a way of just keeping everyone updated in your life. I personally would just e-mail them but everyone seems to love it, I know most people use it as update but some young kids post crazy pics of themselves, drunk or doing crazy stuff and it can hurt them when they apply for a job. Also the sex offenders love it too, they know your family. I do think you can control it but I would never ever put pics of my family out there, anyone can hack into it.

False

I quite l;ike it..and you only have your friends on your profile, and you can post the odd photo as you feel like it, and only they will see it! you get tiny glimpses in your friends (as in also friends in cyberland) day to day....I do not play games etc.....that is yet one more addiction that I do not need! some of my family are members, and it is quite funny..though we do see each other often as well...

False

another thought, I feel quite happy to post pics of children there on my facebook page. where I would not be too happy to do that on kC now 

False

i LOVE it

when i first started it, after having been on myspace, with pretty graphics and such, i found it totally boring, cuz it was a blank white page that never did anything.

i left for awhile, came back to help a friend promote his game app, added a few apps , realized i needed more friends to advance in games. added some people as friends that played the same games. i came to realize that there are like a million profiles for cats , dogs, horses, hamsters, chipmunks, and on andon. made a pet profile myself, and now i have almost 2,500 friends  and the live news feed never ends, with people from around the world gabbin away.

i even attended a 'cat wedding' and reception , that was absolulty hilarious.

one friend is a blind dog, recently wrote

*rushes in grabz ***** smoochez, realizez haz wrong end, twirlz ***** around , smooches, rushes out* BOL

i laughed so hard i choked. or i should say MOL, as cats meow out loud and the dogs BOL or HOL.

False
    " or whatever else tickles your fancy "

i helped someone start a facebook page , they just have me and one other as friend, their page Never moves, i thought oh my goodness that's what it use to be like. that person was quite fascinated at my page's continuous flow.

False
    " or whatever else tickles your fancy "

I'm still confused in a way, about using it. There are several different views (like news feed and live feed) and you click on them and something different comes up. Also, it seems like posts disappear. I was looking for one (thread) I was in yesterday and it's gone. I clicked on the pictures (profiles) of those who were in it, bring up their "wall" and don't see it there, either.

It is fun in a way, like my grandson went to the E.R. yesterday, he was sick with stomach cramps (they ended up saying he might have an intestinal infection and come back if he's not better in a week. No mention of flu!) and he posted a picture of himself laying on the E.R. exam table waiting. And posted updates as he went along. (his gf was there, she probably took the picture) they use cell phones I think for the pictures and posting.

I thought "modern technology!"

False

cast_iron_king
    The whole thing sounds ghastly.

Someone sent me a link (and no, don't ask who! LOL) to your Facebook page, but since you find it ghastly I suppose that's why you didn't have much going on there. 

I enjoy my Facebook page, reading what's going on with my friends, family and acquaintances.  I don't participate in the quizzes, games and things, though.

False