Roasting a Fryer?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Roasting a Fryer??

Last post Nov 07, 2013 11:17 PM by duchessofwestbury . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Roasting a Fryer??

I bought two small  (a little over 3 lbs each) chickens today. Believe it or not, I have NEVER cooked a whole chicken, or butchered one myself ( I usually buy legs and thighs or boneless breasts). The package says they are fryers but I am ASSUMING I can roast them as well. So how long do I need to cook a small chicken like this? What is the best way to prepare it?

Edit: I know what seasoning I like, I am wondering if I need to add a little water to the pan like I usually do with pieces, or if I should rub a little olive oil or butter on it?

False
  • Re: Roasting a Fryer??

Hope this helps. I always put a little water in the pan to prevent grease spatters (and having to clean the oven).

Roasting temperatures and times

First of all you will need to preheat the oven to a temperature of 350ºF (176ºC).

Roasting a chicken does not take quite so long as roasting a turkey (see section on roasting a turkey), however a large chicken could still take over 2 hours to roast.

As a general rule, calculate a cooking time of 20 minutes per pound of meat plus an additional 10 - 20 minutes at a temperature of 350ºF (176ºC). Therefore, a 5 lb chicken will need to be roasting in the oven for at least 1h 50 mins. A 5 lb bird will serve between 4 - 5 people.

Some people prefer to set the oven temperature to 450ºF (230ºC) and roast the bird at this high temperature for the first 10 - 15 minutes or the last 10 - 15 minutes. The rest of the time the chicken should be roasted at 350ºF (176ºC). The surge of heat will result in a really crispy and brown skin and deliciously succulent meat.

The table below is a guideline for roasting times for a chicken at 350ºF (176ºC).

Chicken Roasting times (unstuffed)

2½ - 3 lbs -
    3½ - 4 lbs -
    4½ - 5 lbs -
    5 - 6 lbs -
    1 - 1¾ hrs
    1½ - 1¾ hrs
    1½ - 2 hrs
    1¾ - 2½ hrs

Chicken Roasting times (stuffed)

2½ - 3 lbs -
    3½ - 4 lbs -
    4½ - 5 lbs -
    5 - 6 lbs -
    1½ - 2 hrs
    1¾ - 2¼ hrs
    2 - 2½ hrs
    2¼ - 2¾ hrs
    spr
    © Copyright 2001-2009 helpwithcooking.com
    spr

Skin or no skin?

Even though chicken meat has much fewer calories than some other meats, most of the fat (about 30%) is contained in the skin. For many of us, the skin is the best part of the chicken, however if you are keeping a watchful eye on your calorie intake, then you should really try to avoid eating the skin.

In saying this, the skin must be kept on throughout roasting, as it is the skin that holds the moisture in the meat and keeps the fat out of the meat. If you remove the skin beforehand, which is a feat in itself, then the meat, when it is cooked, will be very dry and probably quite tough as well.

False

I like roasting a chicken in a cast iron frying pan...rub a little olive oil & some seasoning on it, add potatoes, cut in quarters to the pan & roast for an hour at 425-450...I rotate the chicken every 15 minutes....comes out golden brown & the potatoes are wonderful :-)  With 3lb chickens, you would have to adjust the temperatures...I usually roast 1 larger 1 - also depends on your oven.

False

Fryers doing duty as roasters were a staple in my house when the kids were small - a 3 lb chicken fed us (me, hubby and 2 kids), made a bit of chicken salad and of course chicken soup...can't beat that.

I would stuff the little guys with basic Bells Seasoning stuffing right off the box...a green veggie and a salad and everyone was happy.

Awwwe, now I have a taste for one...Big Smile

False

Lynn1018
    I like roasting a chicken in a cast iron frying pan

Thought I was the only one who did this.  Roast mine (the small fryers that is) on a Calphalon chefs casserole ...has high sides and prevents spatter in the oven. And the gravy fixings, after straining, are right in the pot and can be made in the roasting pot while the bird is sitting waiting for carving.

False

Just make sure you clean out the inside of the bird!  I don't think fryers come with giblets.  Salt the inside of the cavity and add your favorite seasoning.  You can rub the skin with olive oil or butter if you'd like, but it's really not necessary.  I roast mine covered at 350 - about 1-1/2 hours for a 3-lb. bird. 

False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin

Debbie_BayVillage
    Just make sure you clean out the inside of the bird!  I don't think fryers come with giblets.

No they dont come with giblets. I wash and stuff them just like I do a larger roaster, just don't need to ccok them as long.

False

Is this too small and to young to try making soup with? (another thing I have not made yet) It is so funny how I cook so many different things and love to try and create new recipes but have never made such basics as chicken soup or a whole roasted chicken!! LOL!

False

I would serve the stuffed roasted fryer to my family for one meal , cutting off any meat left over to use for chicken salad and then using the stripped bones, wing tips, backs, skin and any other scrapings and putting it all in a pot of water and cooking it really slowly for 5/6 hours then strained the broth (the herbs from any leftover stuffing in the carcass flavored the broth) and refrigerating or freezing it for future use in a soup.

False

I have been making chicken soup for about 45 years and have to advise you that the BEST chicken soup is made with a Kosher chicken.  I am not sure why but the flavor is amazing and the cooked meat is fantastic.  If you would like to email me at frankiemay@aol.com I would be happy to give you my recipe which is tried and true.

False