Christmas gifts for adult children | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Christmas gifts for adult children

Last post Dec 18, 2011 7:54 AM by Mirabelle____UK . 39 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (40 items) 123
  • Christmas gifts for adult children

What is everyone getting their adult children this year?  I would like to hear what folks are buying this year.  Any ideas would be welcome.  We usually give money and maybe one or two small things.  Thanks in advance.  Merry Christmas.

False
  • Re: Christmas gifts for adult children

My stepDD is getting a gold necklace , a Dooney purse, & some clothes. 

False
    "We keep you alive to serve this ship! Row well & live!" Charlton Heston in "Ben-Hur"

I don't have any adult kids, (or any kid kids either) but I know last year my Dad get my sister and I both Keurig coffee makers, and this year I am getting a BluRay player (as long as he can find one for less that $150 if not I'll get a DVD player) My Dad's wife's kids are getting restaurant gift certificates (most of their gifts are going to the grandkids, but my sister and I don't  have any yet!

False

Gift cards, probably to the grocery store. They seem to be having a rough time this year. (As we all are.)

False

gift cards, dvd series, clothes, tools

False

To my adult daughters, one is getting two pair jeans (expensive), one is getting two pair pjs, one fuzzy, one sexy) the other is getting a gift cert. as I know she is wanting a camera that I can't afford but the money can go toward it. SILS are getting jeans, shirt,the other a car jack (what he wanted).

These may not sound like much but we have an agreement that is supposed to be a $20 limit but we all go over the limit but not much. The grandkids get more.

False

Since we retired, our son and his wife are now making about 4-5 times what we are!  We used to be pretty extravagent at Christmas but this year we aren't.  I made a quilt for them and they're getting a gift certificate for a nice restaurant.  Usuallly I also pick up lots of "stocking" gifts  --  little fun things --  but somehow didn't see much this year that appealed.  Also, my son has a birthday six weeks later and I have no idea what to get him for that.
    False

DD is already using her Christmas gift.  We got her a new dining room table and chairs--that's not as extravagant as it sounds.  It was a small table, perfect for the limited space in her condo, that we found at the Christmas Tree Shops.  It was pretty reasonable.  Other than that, she'll just be getting the usual little stocking gifts--her favorite candies/specialty foods (the kinds of things you rarely buy yourself), a few little kitchen things, fuzzy socks, some scrapbooking stuff.

False

We have a large family, so they all get something, but not too expensive.  For some couples they get GCs to restaurants, some get gifts.  One daughter is getting a Martha Stewart 2.75 enamel pot for the stove.  Plus a GC to Starbucks...they all like those!  I buy a lot of Bath And Body Works items and give those out to all  the girls.  One thing we do for our young married couples is "Love Bags".  We buy a lot of food items that all cost One dollar or less...brownie mix, cake mix, frosting, canned veggies, potato mixes, hot chocolate and they all get a bag of food.  They all really really like these bags too!  It is fun to see them dig through the bags to see what they got!  We try to give these to the younger set of kids and grandkids who are now young adults and who make less than a certain amount a year.  One daughter and her husband made very good money in the past, so we explained the rules to them and they were cool with that...then he lost his job.  My daughter said, "about those love bags Mom..."  we had a good laugh and they get one this year!!!  It is our favorite thing to do, and if we ever get to the point where we need to cut out some spending (because of so many grandchildren and great grands) we will continue to do the love bags.

False
     Click for Sun City, Arizona Forecast

My daughter is getting a Kindle (three of us went in on it- my Mom, a family friend, and me). Also a Kitchenaid beater and assorted kitchen gadgets plus some stocking stuffers. My SIL is getting a Power Washer (what he wanted) and a box of chocolates. Four of us went in on the power washer. He wanted a BIG one!

Toys for the kids, mostly eductional ones and some videos. They are 1, 3, and 4.

False

If you can quilt, QUILT!!!  (I can't do it, but my mom can, in her lap).  This is a timeless treasure.  I have one my great-grandmother made (she only quilted in black and white, never heard of that anywhere else, but she was a very unique person), and it is a dear treasure to me.

I really am thinking of trying to start this myself.  It seems so hard though.  Any suggestions? (besides leaving hubby and moving back in with my parents at age 53?)

False

This pic is of my great-grandmother, Lona Worley.  She only quilted in black and white.  

For an adult daughter and her husband.  They have everything, so I bought a digital picture frame and put family pictures of vacations, holidays and their child as a baby up to present.  These were all pictures that I had that they did not and now they have something wonderful to check out.  The photo card is large enough that they can add many of their own favorite family pictures

False

Since I'm on SS and on a very limited budget, I no longer buy for my adult children.   Instead, they get homemade goodies such as bread, candy, etc.  

False
    I am proud to be an American. Because an American can eat anything on the face of this earth as long as he has two pieces of bread.
    Bill Cosby

I have two kids, both married with kids of their own.  Each one gets a $25.00 gift card (grandkids included) and one small package to open.  It may be a book, or a small bottle of cologne, etc.  Last year I gave my son and daughter a framed picture of their dad and me together when we were young and first married.  Before we had kids!   My husband passed away 5 years ago and when I found  the picture in a box I thought how nice it would be for them to have that memory of us together when we were young and in love!  So I had the picture restored and enlarged and put it in a pretty frame for each of them.  They loved it! 

False

My mother-in-law generally got us sweaters from LL Bean, and manicure kits (their traditional stocking stuffer).

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.