stove top percolator.....how do you do it? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

stove top percolator.....how do you do it?

Last post Dec 14, 2009 10:44 PM by oldgirl06 . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • stove top percolator.....how do you do it?
    I love perked coffee, but I have always used an electric one. I just bought Paula Deen's but I don't really know how to time it, or how to make sure it doesn't boil....... can anyone tell me step by step how to make stove top perked coffee? thanks, and Merry Christmas !
    False
  • Re: stove top percolator.....how do you do it?

First things first.  Never put in too much water!  Or you will have a mess.  So once you have the water and the grounds all ready, put the heat on high.  Watch carefully.  Once it comes to a boil, turn the heat down just to the point where it slowly boils.  I prefer to let it boil for at least 10 minutes.  It wont go bitter letting it perk even longer.  Then the secret is to let it sit for at least 10 minutes to let all the grounds settle.  Nothing like your last sip being a mouthful of grounds!

Basically, it takes more time then a drip or press, but it is worth the 1/2 hour to make it.

False
    so it does't really matter how many cups you make, just let it go about 10 minutes?
    False

Hi KMcd!   I think the answer to your question is probably...it depends.  lol.   It depends on if you like strong or weak coffee.   But, I do have a few suggestions that might help make a good cup of coffee...a great cup of coffee.

I always use cold water and good coffee.  I use 1 tablespoon (maybe a tad more) for 1 cup and then I add an extra one...for the pot.  I always add a pinch of salt to the grounds and NEVER wash it with soap.   Use white vinegar just like you would with the drip kind.  

I personally wouldn't let it perk for 10 minutes but more like 5.   She's right about letting it sit for a bit too or you will get a mouth full of coffee grounds and you don't need that but your acid loving house plants wouldn't mind having some.  lol.  Smile

Perked coffee sure makes the house smell good!  Coffee  Enjoy your new toy!   Let us know how you like it!  Smile

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

Watch it carefully...I've never perked it for more than 5 minutes...see what your preference is. 

False

I used to make perked coffee in a Pyrex glass percolator.  It seems to me that I never started it on "high" - you don't want to boil the coffee, just get it going enough so it starts perking and then keep it going until it's strong enough for you.  They used to sell a coarser grind for percolators but no more.  Unless you grind your own in the grocery store.

False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin

We just went back to electric, I love stove top coffee, but yes what a mess if you do not stay on it. Just watch that's all you can do every stove is different.

False

A stove top percolator is the only kind we used to use.   I used cold water and put the heat on high to get it started, and when the coffee started to bubble up in the little glass thingy, I turned it down so it just kept perking.    Then I'd go into the next room, and when I could smell the coffee in there, the coffee was done!   Only took about 5 minutes.   We didn't like strong coffee, so we would never perk it for 10 minutes.

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast