PRODUCT REVIEW: Ore Ida Steam N Mash potatoes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

PRODUCT REVIEW: Ore Ida Steam N Mash potatoes

Last post Dec 18, 2009 3:58 PM by purselamplady . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • PRODUCT REVIEW: Ore Ida Steam N Mash potatoes

I love them!  Taste just like you'd make them yourself.  All you do is put the bag in the micro for 10 minutes, let them sit for 2 more, and then mash with some butter, milk, and  salt & pepper.  There are also a couple of recipes on the back, and they come in different varieties, including sweet potatoes and garlic mashed.

http://oreida.com/varieties/steamnmash.aspx

They're simpler for me to use because I have trouble standing very long to cook, because of my fibromyalgia, and this makes it easy to make mashed taters. 

False
    I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today - Wimpy
  • Re: PRODUCT REVIEW: Ore Ida Steam N Mash potatoes

Meredith, the garlic mashed sounds yummy.  Thanks for the review.

False

Thanks so much for posting this! I absolutely hate peeling potatoes,but the family doesn't like instant. Im going to buy these for Christmas dinner. I have enough to do that day without peeling potatoes.

False

I have used the garlic mashed and they are WONDERFUL!!!!  My DS who can be picky about his taters loves them!!!!!!!

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

How do they compare cost wise with instant or homemade mashed potatoes. I very rarely eat mashies, but once in a blue moon I like to have them along with meatloaf or on sheapherds pie.

False

Do you get a decent amount? I thought the bags looked a little small. I could see for 1-2 people. DH & I were in the grocery store, he said produce section, diced onions, cut up carrots, celery, etc.. so much prepared veggies, I said that anyone who has a problem cutting & diceing this is wonderful. I think my MIL takes advantage of this or anyone rushed for time. They have so many wonderful products in the produce section now. It's a little bit pricey but anyone who can not deal with this it's wonderful for them.

False

We very seldom eat potatoes at all....but I admit, I love mashed potatoes. 

Once I had hubby buy the frozen mashed potatoes put out by Bob Evans (which were good), and I had a coupon for the Ord-Ida, but I think the price was a little high.  I can't remember now...but maybe in the $3.50? range.  I doubt they would have many servings...Of course it would be handier for me, since I also have trouble standing...so if you still would use a mixer, it wouldn't be much easier to start from raw potatoes. Anytime I have to stand...and get things out of the cabinet (mixer) and fridge, it really hurts me.

I sit....even if I fry an egg or heat something on the stove...sitting close to it, and just standing long enough to check or turn whatever I'm cooking.  I'm usually moaning and groaning by the time I plate something, but I do what I have to do....sometimes.

Right now we bought 10lb of Idaho potatoes for $1.99 so that was a real bargain, and hubby did make mashed potatoes last night....but if the Ore Ida were on sale, I might give them a try....since it is just the 2 of us.

False

Guess I'm the only one who doesn't like them...give me Potato Buds instant potatoes any time.

False

we don't eat mashed that often but we do eat the or ida...dh says they taste real...lol

False

My daughter uses them all the time.  I have to admit, they are very good. 

False

JoBlank_CO

.........give me Potato Buds instant potatoes any time.

OMG - instant mashed potatoes??  I've never even had a box of them in my house!

False

sissel

Do you get a decent amount? I thought the bags looked a little small. I could see for 1-2 people. DH & I were in the grocery store, he said produce section, diced onions, cut up carrots, celery, etc.. so much prepared veggies, I said that anyone who has a problem cutting & diceing this is wonderful. I think my MIL takes advantage of this or anyone rushed for time. They have so many wonderful products in the produce section now. It's a little bit pricey but anyone who can not deal with this it's wonderful for them.

I'd say there is about enough for 4 people.  I live alone, and there's way too much for me to eat, but I will because I love mashed potatoes, especially with meatloaf or a turkey dinner.

As far as price goes, I don't really care, because it saves my back from all that peeling.  Just can't stand in one place very long or I hurt.  I should probably look into one of those potato peelers, the one that cuts spiral peels.  That would help too, and is good for apples as well.

False
    I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today - Wimpy