Which way is cheaper to mail a package? Post or UPS? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Which way is cheaper to mail a package? Post or UPS?

Last post Dec 19, 2009 8:53 AM by bobswife . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Which way is cheaper to mail a package? Post or UPS?

False

catmint

• Re: Which way is cheaper to mail a package? Post or UPS?

It depends on the size and weight, I think. The USPS's Priority Mail deal is usually a good one, because if it fits in one of those boxes it ships for a flat rate.

Another thing to consider is that UPS can't deliver to a P.O. box, and in some areas UPS won't leave the package if you're not home and picking it up is hard if you're not near a UPS distribution center. I ran into that in the suburb I lived in in near Chicago for a while. So I always go with the USPS if I'm mailing to a residence to be sure that I'm not making it hard on them to get the package.

False
        I believe in God. Only I spell it N-a-t-u-r-e. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Hi,

Depending on the weight of the package the post office has boxes for free that are flat rate.  You pay when you send it out and it's much cheaper than UPS.  I just saved $30 doing this sending out 3 pkgs.  Ann

False

Flat rate boxes are great. 

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

I find that Fed Ex Ground is way cheaper then UPS and USPS, And they get there faster.

Vicki

False

Click for Redding, California Forecast

One thing UPS does is guarantee all shipments, even their regular ground delivery and, depending on whether or not you are concerned about time, their delivery time is quicker than flat rate shipping. 

False

Vicki, I read that somewhere that they have the best prices.

False

We ALWAYS try to ship UPS whenever possible.  They have the best tracking, the fastest delivery, and reasonable prices. Even when they are a bit more expensive than the others, their overall service makes it worth it to us.

Also, regarding the flat rate boxes, just remember that they are not always a good deal.  I had a friendly postal clerk tip me off to that last Christmas, when a couple of my packages that I was mailing flat rate were fairly light weight.  She asked me if I really wanted to go with the flat rate fee.  I asked what the cost would be if I just mailed them. She weighed them and informed me that instead of the $13.95 (or whatever the large flat rate box rate was last year), it would cost $4.95!  She told me that a lot of folks could go cheaper if they didn't use the flat rate boxes! I didn't even need to re-box - I just covered the flat rate box with brown packing paper, attached a new label and saved $8 or $9 dollars!

So remember to check the weight of your package when comparing your shipping options.  If it is fairly light weight, you might save even more.  The real deal with the flat rate boxes comes when you have heavy items to ship.

False

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come...Shakespeare

The day the LORD created hope was probably the same day that HE created Spring...Bern Williams

Click for Lexington, Kentucky Forecast

Catmint, if you go to both of their websites and look for cost calculation- you put in the weight, and measurements of the package, it will give you a cost.  I sent a huge box to the granddaughters in WA state and I sent it parcel post....it's slower, but it made it in 3 days still (sent it last Monday) but it turned out to be cheaper than UPS.  If it will fit in the flat rate box that may be cheaper...but it depends on how far it's going....

False

Thanks everyone. I was running so late, I just stopped by the post office in the city. We were trying to beat the snow storm.  It cost me 7.55 for priority. Just .10 cents more than regular mail . Which makes no sense, but, I was happy for that. It still may have made it on time with regular, but, it would have been tight.  I was afraid it would be about 20 bucks, but, it wasn't.  I got that and my cards in the mail.

False

catmint

Catmint_WV_49F
    I got that and my cards in the mail.

Glad you got that taken care of, CatMint.  Hopefully now you can rest and relax and enjoy the Holiday! Smile

False