How do you fry egg noodles? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you fry egg noodles?

Last post Jan 27, 2011 10:12 AM by enjoynature . 21 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 12
  • How do you fry egg noodles?
    • Crying [:'(]

Last night I had a big mushy mess.  I had some cooked egg noodles at room temperature.  I heated up a pan of hot oil and put the egg noodles in.  It sounded like it was cooking them just right, that sizzling sound.  Then about a minute later, it all started to get mushy.  Well, I guess I did something wrong.  They were thrown out. 

Now, I have never looked at a recipe for it, so thought I would try it.  So, now I am asking for a recipe that someone has actually made.

Do the noodles need to be cooked, or do you fry them up uncooked?  Do I need to add anything to it to fry it up also?

False

Everything is okay in the end, if it's not okay, then it's not the end.

• Re: How do you fry egg noodles?

The way I've fried noodles is to use well drained ones so they aren't wet.  Yes, they are cooked.   I put some butter in a frying pan and cook them over about medium heat till they brown lightly.   It takes awhile to do this because if you cook them too hot, they can burn.   I just salt and pepper them and that's all I do!  My mom used to make them for me a lot when I was a kid.  

I think it's harder to brown them now with the ones that are so curly.   When I was young, the noodles were straighter.

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

You can still buy the straight shorter  egg noodles in the jewish section of the grocery store  called  Manischewitz.  I love them and think they are superior to other brands.  There is another brand that starts with a  S.

False

bkbk

You can still buy the straight shorter  egg noodles in the jewish section of the grocery store  called  Manischewitz.  I love them and think they are superior to other brands.  There is another brand that starts with a  S.

Thanks!   I'll look for those!

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

We always  use butter for frying ours.  (med to lower heat)  Most of the time, we first fry shredred cabbage till lightly brown and limp, then add cooked noodles.if you want  add bacon bits to this.  Heat to warm all.  Veygood..

Joe

False
    Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time.

I love fried noodles and use any leftover pasta I have on hand.

A few things I find help--don't overcook the pasta when you originally boil it.  Normally, I don't rinse pasta, but for frying, it's a help to rinse off the excess starch after cooking.  They need to be well-drained as mentioned above.  I get my pain moderately hot--and add equal parts safflower oil and butter--that raises the smoking temperature of the butter, so you can cook them safely at a higher temp.  I don't use too low a temp--takes too long to get them browned and crisp that way.  If you keep an eye on them, while cooking, you can chance cooking higher, and they won't burn.  Oh, if I'm doing something curly (rotini, for example) I put a stainless steel lid that's smaller than the skillet I'm using, right on the noodles and place a couple of weights on it to weigh the noodles down so they make better contact with the pan.  Cast iron skillet, of course.

False

I need to get out more. I have never heard of frying noodles. Embarrassed They sound good, though, and it makes perfect sense to fry them, given what they're made of. I don't fry things often, but I'm going to try these.

So do you have them as a side to something particular?

False
        I believe in God. Only I spell it N-a-t-u-r-e. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Fried spaghettti has always been a big thing in my family. Just toss leftover pasta and sauce and refrigerate until you are ready to make it. Add a bit of oil to the fry pan and fry it it up. Always liked it that way and I don't care for many leftovers.

I also make Chinese noodles. Add two to one soy sauce to oil to the fry pan, heat, add the al dente noodles and fry, not too hot. Shapes work best for this. My kids used to call them brown noodles. The original recipe calls for some MSG but although it heightens the flavor, my migraines don't like that addition.This is especially good as a side with steak. Usually I use wagon wheels or penne.  

False

Womens home companion
    We always  use butter for frying ours.  (med to lower heat)  Most of the time, we first fry shredred cabbage till lightly brown and limp, then add cooked noodles.if you want  add bacon bits to this.  Heat to warm all.  Veygood..

OMWord, Joe!  That sounds SO scrumptious! Smile

False

The only way I've ever fried noodles is when I add some beaten eggs, scallions and sometimes shredded cheese, salt and pepper. I use a little canola oil with a pat of butter. Sometimes we pour left-over chili over it.

False

Rebecca

Cook the noodles done but not mushy.  Yes it helps to rinse them but drain well.  Use butter not oil.  You can:

1.  Brown seasoned breadcrumbs in butter over medium heat - melt more butter (more butter!) in another pan and add the drained noodles - med. heat - stir gently - stir in breadcrumbs.  OR

2.  Melt butter (about 2-3 T) in skillet - med heat - add noodles and toss to coat with butter then pour in one or two beaten eggs (can add some milk to the eggs like you're making scrambled eggs).  Also add some shredded cheese - cook until egg is set (keep stirring . . . ).  Then top with those toasted breadcrumbs and toss again. OR

3.  Just gently cook/brown the noodles in butter - can finish with a little grated Parmesan, parsley or whatever.

These are great with any plain meat.  I don't have a "real" recipe but have watched Mom make these for 50 years.  We do it the same way but mine don't taste like hers! 

False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin

bkbk

They are the only noodles I buy.   They are far superior to the regular brands.

False

I didnt know you could fry them.

I think the last ones I bought were straight, and I got them at Walmart. Either that, or they were very old. Sad

False

catmint

i always fry my leftover spaghetti.....and sometimes i shred some sharp chesse and melt that right in with it...we love it!!!

False

moly
    I also make Chinese noodles. Add two to one soy sauce to oil to the fry pan, heat, add the al dente noodles and fry, not too hot.

I make a version of low mein with leftover spaghetti. I saute and onion and a little garlic. I add low sodium soy sauce and some hoisin sauce.Then I usually add a cooked scrambled egg at the very end. I like to let the spaghetti set in one place so it browns and gets a little crunchy. I make fried rice the same way.

False