Do ALL cortisone shots hurt? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Do ALL cortisone shots hurt?

Last post Jan 16, 2010 9:14 PM by carrotop_f . 27 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12
  • Do ALL cortisone shots hurt?

I had heel spurs many years ago.  I got a cortisone shot injected into my heel.  I had never in my life felt pain as bad as that.  I have heard that cortisone shots hurt.  My right shoulder has arthritis and tendonitis.  My doctor said that if I can't take the pain anymore from the arthritis/tendonitis, she suggests a cortisone shot in my shoulder. 

I am thinking about how much pain the last cortisone shot was.  If the pain is still the same, I think I will live with the arth/tend.

Do they still hurt?

False

Everything is okay in the end, if it's not okay, then it's not the end.

• Re: Do ALL cortisone shots hurt?

scooter... the ones in the heel hurt worse than shoulders and elbows and knees and hips...I have had heels done and man that dropped me... but shoulders hurt like crazy for a day or so then the relief is sooooo nice.....

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

I've had them in my foot before. It depends on how it is given. It hurts less if they do it slowly. But I'm such a wimp I almost passed out the last time.....I was so embarrassed. It wasn't hurting that bad but my mind freaked about the needle in my foot. So just remember to breathe!

False

Scooter....My achilles has bothered me for a couple years now.  The first cortisone shot I got hurt SO badly I even I even posted something about it here.  It burned so much and my achilles was still sore for a couple days. It took a while to kick in but once it did I was glad I had got it.

2nd shot...worked immediately and was effective for 9 months or so. Sadly, the last one I got wasn't painful, but didn't help me that much.  IF I go in again for another shot, I plan on talking to the doc about the amount etc....I want it to work or I just won't bother.

False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

Renee  I have had so many cortisone shots in my life(we are in the 3,000 range) I have found that if it doesn't hurt when they give it you (at least me) will get NO relief but if it hurts I will have a couple days of pain and then sweet relief for a while anyway!!!  My Docs always make sure I have pain meds for at least 3-4 days if needed.....

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

I have only had one cortisone shot in my shoulder.  The shot itself didn't hurt but...about 24 hours later, it brought me to my knees with pain.  The shot never did help my shoulder -- ended up having surgery.  About a year later, when the other shoulder 'went', I told the Doc - no x-rays, no MRI's unless needed for insurance purposes and absolutely no cortesone shot.  He smiled at me and we scheduled surgery.  Best decision ever.

From what I have been told, every person reacts differently to them.

Best of luck!

False

♀♀ = Love

♂♂ = Love

♀♂ = Love

A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others. -the movie Barnyard

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived!

Click for Milwaukee, Wisconsin Forecast

Husband had one recently for his shoulder.  Doctor gave him a shot of novacaine (sp) or some such BEFORE the big shot of cortisone.  He said it was no big deal.  Only felt a twinge from the novacaine.  Maybe that is what you should ask for.

False

Marilyn

D-MIL had them twice in her shoulder.  First time she said it hurt like he!!, but the second time she didn't even feel it.  There was about 10 years between shots.

False

So far: in the last 4 yrs I have had 4 cortisone shots in mt left hip for bursitis and not one of them hurt. My doctor uses an "outchless" needle, it is a very fine, thin long needle and he first loads it with a deadener and then the cortisone and you don't feel a thing.

4 1/2 yrs ago our anesthesiologist tried to give me a HUGE cortisone shot into my lower back for arthritis, the poor man finally gave up. He had deadened my back so much  I did not feel a thing while he dug around for at least 6 minutes. No success, Just lost a bunch of blood, he gave up because he said I had so much arthritis build-up that he could not get the big needle where he needed it to go .

Was presribed a TENS unit instead and that helps some.

PS. The ones I had in my hips DID work very well.

False

I've had quite a few, shoulders, elbows and I've never had one that did not hurt, but then I've never had one that worked either.  For me anyway, waste of time, money and pain.

False

Have had several in my right knee, the last one two years ago and after exercising (walking) I never got the pain back.  None of the shots hurt at all, even after having my knee drained once...I guess it matters who is giving them....I watched my mother get cortizone shots years ago in agony and was afraid when I had to get them and put it off for 6 months.  When I finally decided to get one I was embarrassed at how much it DIDNT hurt after putting it off for so long....

False
    Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with your talent is your gift to God.

i had one in my shoulder a few years ago...it hurt terribly....and didn't work...had to go for physical therapy...that worked.

now.....at 9:30 tomorrow morning, dh will be getting a shot in his right knee.  figured he'd try that before having the operation he had on his left knee.........i'll let you know.

if ya'all hear a bull bellowing from the vicinity of florida, you'll know it hurt!!!lol

False

I've had 3 of the shots in my shoulder. didn't hurt and helped big time all three times. had one in my wrist and that hurt worse that childbirth! didn't do a thing for me either. the 3rd shot i got in my shoulder helped my wrist big time too. it's been several years since i've had one.

False

I have had them in my shoulders and my knees.  The larger joints are easier because there's more room.  They put that needle into the joint to get to the inflamation.  The tighter the joint, the more it hurts.  The relief from the shot is worth a few seconds of pain.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I think they pretty much all hurt. Most often they are sticking that needle into tight places (joints and cartilage). I've had the shots in knuckles, between toes, etc. It does hurt and sometimes I ask a nurse to put her hands on me so I don't have a reflective reaction. LOL, many times the doctor will say "Man, you're doing a great job". Then I laugh and say "You've got a giant needle in my foot, do you want me to jerk around?" Silly doctors, lol.

I'd say getting the shot is much better than just dealing with the pain. Take 2-3 alieve with a light meal before going. it will still hurt, but if you can come home and rest, then you are much better off.

False

Rebecca