Making French Onion Soup for Dinner...Dry White Wine *or* Dry White Vermouth? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Making French Onion Soup for Dinner...Dry White Wine *or* Dry White Vermouth?

Last post Jan 19, 2010 4:01 PM by bobswife . 31 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 123
  • Making French Onion Soup for Dinner...Dry White Wine *or* Dry White Vermouth?
    • Confused [*-)]

http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/onion-soup

Happy Tuesday Morning, Everybody!

The recipe I'm using is in the above link.  It calls for a 1/2 cup of either Dry White Wine or Dry White Vermouth.  Heck, I'm a Beer drinker so I don't know dry wine from wet wine.  Embarrassed  Every now and again, Bob & I will have some Asti Spumante but I do know that's not what should go into the soup.  Stick out tongue

So, what should I purchase for making tonight's soup?  If you have a particular brand of wine or vermouth you use, please let me know.  Otherwise I'll be spending many hours in the Liquor department of the local store.  Surprise

TIA for sharing your knowledge with me!

Krissy~~~

False
  • Re: Making French Onion Soup for Dinner...Dry White Wine *or* Dry White Vermouth?

the wine for me every time....

False
  • Re: Making French Onion Soup for Dinner...Dry White Wine *or* Dry White Vermouth?

I'd go with a Chardonnay...from CA not France

Also here's a c&p

Some of the leading dry white wines are Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc and Riesling.

Some of the leading dry red wines are Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Bordeaux, Pinot Noir, Grignolino, and Côtes-du-Rhône.

False

Looked at the recipe again....use Swiss cheese....like Gruyere or Emmenthal...don't use the fat reduced kind, they won't melt right.

My mouth is watering, would love a place at your table for the onion soup.

False

rottensocks
    I'd go with a Chardonnay...from CA not France

Good glory, Rotten, how the heck does one know where the wine came from?!  Please tell me that it's on the bottle someplace. 

What I really need is a talking bottle of vino which jumps off the shelf into my cart!  OTOH, I probably wouldn't want to consume anything from a bottle which can become airborne, right? Wink 

False

rottensocks

My mouth is watering, would love a place at your table for the onion soup.

Come on by about 5:30 ish, Rotten.  Bob & I would be delighted to break bread with you!  Oh, and slurp some soup, too.  Big Smile 

False

bobswife
    Please tell me that it's on the bottle someplace. 

Yes it will be on the bottle...label will have the name of the vineyard and its location.

False

Yes the bottle will say where it is from.  Also, you'll be able to afford the California wine (and it will probably be tastier too--our wines are Good).

Vermouth is a white wine infused with herbs.  I've never used it.

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.

I don't drink wine and DH only likes red wine but a friend was by and brought a bottle of charddonay named Meridian, it's a California 2008 wine.  There was some left and he put it in the refrigerator.  A few weeks later I was making a seafood recipe that called for white wine and I've usually just left the wine out of recipes since I know nothing about them BUT there was that open bottle.  Oh My Goodness, what a wonderful flavor it gave the seafood dish so I'm betting something like that would be great with your soup.  Hmmmmmmmmm I've never had or made French Onion Soup.  Maybe have to try your recipe there.  Let us know how it turns out!

False
    Me personally, I would use the dry vermouth and NOT the white wine.  Wine (even if it states "dry") can be too sweet and fruity for the French Onion Soup.  When I make mine I use the dry vermouth!
    False
    Witty Whitney!

Hi Krissy! Hope you're doing well my friend.

Unfortunately I've never written my recipe for french onion soup down. I started out making a very basic FRS recipe and tweaking and changing over the years until my family and friends love what I make now. I've gone from using canned beef broth to now I make my own broth by first making and serving for dinner a big beef chuck pot roast complete with onions garlic potatoes, celery and carrots and saving the juices and fond to make my soup the next day. That and I've gone from using no wine in mine to now adding about a half cup +- of Reunite Lambrusco RED wine. I make it more often during Vidalia onion season, but I've also been know to make it in the Winter using a mix of red, yellow and sweet white onions too.

This may not but what a hoity-toity gourmet chef would call a true french onion soup, but it ranks right up there with the best I've had or even better than what I've had in a LOT of restaurants.  

False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”

Krissy:  I'm not a drinker but will use wine in my cooking.

I'm no chef but this has a beef base, I would be more apt to use a red wine.

Let me know how it turns out with the white.

False

Summer74
    That soup recipe is word-for-word from Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking (Vol. 1),

Summer

I guess you guessed what I'm reading, huh?! Wink 

Summer74
    The wine store's sommelier should be able to point you in la bonne direction.

Given that I didn't shop at Le Whole Paycheck this week, the Wine Dude just asked if I wanted Red or White.  Handed me something and said it was made during a good week.  So that should work out just Le Dandy, dontcha think?!  Angel

False