What goes good with meatballs? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What goes good with meatballs?

Last post Feb 21, 2010 6:41 PM by CharlesR_female . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • What goes good with meatballs?

I don't want to make spaghetti sauce.  Maybe a cream sauce?  I don't know what to make.  I have cabbage, broccoli, carrots, canned soups.

False

Everything is okay in the end, if it's not okay, then it's not the end.

• Re: What goes good with meatballs?

Simmer them with cabbage and carrots in sweet-n-sour sauce?

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.

Maybe a stir-fry with the veggies?

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

Simmer with some chicken or beef broth and the veggies. Add a can of beans and some pasta and you'll have a nice minestrone soup.

False

Wrap them in cabbage, pour gravy* over them, and bake as stuffed grape leaves.

*Or stewed tomatoes and white raisins, if you're adverturous.

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.

Make a brown gravy with them and serve over noodles. Side dish of coleslaw made with your cabbage and carrots. Or serve with sauted mushrooms and onions; or shish kabob them. Use the cabbage and carrots for a hot slaw.
    False

purseglove_MA_F_67
    Make a brown gravy with them and serve over noodles.

ITA with PG's great Idea!

False

I sometimes serve meatballs in brown gravy over mashed potatoes mixed with chopped spinach or chopped kale.

edited also meatballs in either brown gravy or in tomato sauce goes well with haluski (cabbage and noodles) or bubble and squeak (cabbage and potatoes)

False

Meatball in brown gravy over mashed taters gets my vote!

False

My mom makes a quick version of Norwegian meatballs by adding a can of cream of chicken soup and sour cream to the pan drippings (after taking the grease off, but leaving the brown bits), then simmers on low.  I've had them with just sour cream added to the pan as well, but I like it with the soup better. 

You can make steamed broccoli and/or carrots to serve with them.  If you have potatoes, rice, or noodles...it would be a very hearty meal.

False

you can make a bbq sauce for them and serve with a baked potato and salad....yumm!

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

Scoobster

Another vote here.

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

Alaska_Prof

Scoobster

Another vote here.

This got my vote also. Yes

False

hope I'm not to late 

Cream Sauce for Swedish Meatballs

var g_rid='97674'; var g_review_default="Discuss the taste, how difficult it was to make, any adaptations you made or menu suggestions. If you did not like it, please explain why or provide constructive criticism." function hideinline(el,img) { if (document.getElementById(el).style.display == "none" ) { document.getElementById(el).style.display = "inline" if (img) document.getElementById(img).src="http://img.{$mydomain}/images/2008/minus_sign_brownbkgrnd.gif" mce_src="http://img.{$mydomain}/images/2008/minus_sign_brownbkgrnd.gif"; } else { document.getElementById(el).style.display = "none" if (img) document.getElementById(img).src="http://img.{$mydomain}/images/2008/plus_sign_brownbkgrnd.gif" mce_src="http://img.{$mydomain}/images/2008/plus_sign_brownbkgrnd.gif"; } if (typeof t != 'undefined') xe(t); } function clickRateItNow(){ if (!g_app.user.id) { window.location='/members/login.php?url=/'+g_rid+'&msg=addreview'; } else { Element.show($('reviewcomments')); positionObjectToElement(document.getElementById('rate_it'), document.getElementById('reviewcomments'), 0, 0); } } function findPos(pObject) { var _currentLeft = _currentTop = 0; if (pObject.offsetParent) { _currentLeft = pObject.offsetLeft _currentTop = pObject.offsetTop while (pObject = pObject.offsetParent) { _currentLeft += pObject.offsetLeft _currentTop += pObject.offsetTop } } return [_currentLeft, _currentTop]; } function positionObjectToElement(pObject, pThis, pOffsetX, pOffsetY) { var _coordinates = findPos(pObject); pThis.style.top = _coordinates[1] + pOffsetY + "px"; pThis.style.left = _coordinates[0] + pOffsetX + "px"; } function clickStars(v_star_rating){ $('reviewrating').value=v_star_rating; showStars(v_star_rating); } function clickCancelReview() { Element.hide($('reviewcomments')); return false; } function clickSubmitReview() { var text=$F('reviewtext').replace(/^ +/,''); var rating=$('reviewrating').value; var textlength = text.length; var rform = Form.serialize($('reviewform')); // Verify that there's either a rating or there's text if (rating==0 && (textlength==0 || text == g_review_default)) { alert('You didn\'t add a rating or any comments.'); } else { if ( text == g_review_default) Element.update('reviewtext', ''); Element.hide($('reviewcomments')); new Ajax.Request( '/services/rest/recipes/postreview', { method:'post', parameters: Form.serialize($('reviewform')), onComplete: showPostedReview } ); } } function selectReviewText() { document.getElementById('reviewtext').focus(); document.getElementById('reviewtext').select(); } function showPostedReview(doc) { var err=doc.responseXML.getElementsByTagName('error'); if (err.length) { Element.update('status',"That didn't work: " + RzXMLUtil.textOfElement(err[0],'msg')+""); } else { Element.hide($('reviewcomments')); Element.show($('reviewsubmitted')); showStars($F('reviewrating')); } } /* function showRatingDesc(v_star_rating) { switch (v_star_rating) { case 1: Element.update('star_rating_desc', "Didn't Like It"); case 2: Element.update('star_rating_desc', "OK"); case 3: Element.update('star_rating_desc', "Liked it"); case 4: Element.update('star_rating_desc', "Loved it"); case 5: Element.update('star_rating_desc', "Outstanding"); default: ELement.update('star_rating_desc', ""); } return true; } */ function showStars(v_star_rating) { // var v_per_rating=(v_star_rating/5)*100; var v_width="width: " + (v_star_rating/5)*100 + "%;"; $('star_list').setStyle(v_width); $('star_list').style.backgroundPosition="left center"; return false; } if (g_app.user.id) { if(g_app.user.lim_rnotes) { $('recnote-form').action="/recipe/note?rid="+g_rid; } var brow=g_app.getBrowser(); var opt=''; // Fix IE's caching bug if (brow && brow.name=='MSIE') { var d=new Date(); opt='?fixIE='+d.getTime(); } new Ajax.Request('/services/rest/recipes/p13n.php'+opt,{ method: 'get', parameters: 'rid='+g_rid, onSuccess: function(req) { var pdata=eval('('+req.responseText+')'); if (pdata.review) { $('reviewrating').value=0; showStars(0); Element.update('reviewtext', g_review_default); if (pdata.review.textplain.length > 0) { Element.update('reviewtext', pdata.review.textplain); } var star_rating=pdata.review.rating; if(star_rating > 0) { $('reviewrating').value=pdata.review.rating; showStars(star_rating); } } if (pdata.note) { Element.show($('recnote')); if(pdata.note.mtime > 0){ var d=new Date(pdata.note.mtime*1000); } else { var d=new Date(pdata.note.ptime*1000); } Element.update('recnote-time',d.toLocaleDateString()); Element.update('recnote-text', pdata.note.text); $('recnote-text-plain').value=pdata.note.textplain; } } }) //var d=new Date(pdata.review.time*1000); }

Ingredients

Directions

1. 1
      Swirl out the pan with boiling beef stock.
    2. 2
      Add the cream.
    3. 3
      Add the flour mixed with approx 1 tablepoons of water.
    4. 4
      Add the seasonings.
    5. 5
      Simmer until the sauce thickens.
    6. 6
      Serve with Swedish meatballs.
    False