gift suggestions for joining the Catholic church? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

gift suggestions for joining the Catholic church?

Last post Apr 01, 2010 8:57 AM by royella . 37 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 123
  • gift suggestions for joining the Catholic church?

I have a good friend & neighbor whose adult son will be joining the Catholic church in April.  He was raised in community church (now that he married a Catholic, he's converting)...she'd like to give him a present to commorate the ocassion but has no idea what to give him.  He is getting a Bible from the church, he doesn't wear chains, so a cross wouldn't be worn.  Any one have any ideas as to an appropriate gift?  Thank you.

False
  • Re: gift suggestions for joing the Catholic church?
    A nice engraved picture frame with the date on it. Or a donation to the church in honor of him. Maybe a gift to the church food pantry.
    False
  • Re: gift suggestions for joing the Catholic church?

Is there a Catholic book store in town?  They might have some lovely items.  Perhaps a crucifix for the wall, a rosary, or even a book.  Otherwise, anything Christian that fits in with their home decor or their personality would work - whether it's a wall plaque, a garden stone....

False

TTFN - Pud

• Re: gift suggestions for joining the Catholic church?

Thanks for the suggestions.  The newly weds live in a townhome & don't have a yard...they live on the 2nd story & I think have a balcony.  But I will pass along the donation idea or engraved picture frame & other suggestions. 

False

Rosary beads...and maybe he can have them blessed at his conversion ceremony by the officiating priest.

False

A nice Crucifix for his home, Rosary
    False

Aspiring to inspire before I expire! Faith, Family, Friends!

Was this his choice, or was he somehow forced into it?  Personally, I would offer condolences!  I don't believe anyone should HAVE to convert just because they marry a Catholic!  I don't understand why everyone thinks the Catholic church has power over all others, anyway!!  I married one, but there's NO WAY that I would ever convert or force my children into participating against their will!

Ok, sorry for the vent!  Should have resisted the urge to answer this one, but whatever....

False

Jaejme, yes, you should have resisted the urge to answer. If you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all.

You don't understand why "everyone" thinks the Catholic church has power over all others? It's not likely that "everyone" thinks that. And how, exactly, would any of us mere mortals know what others think?

Forced? That doesn't happen.

False

grammapeach
    Jaejme, yes, you should have resisted the urge to answer. If you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all.

No, Jaejme did not need to resist the urge to answer.  Her opinion is as valid as anyone else. 

The world may not always be your idea of "nice", grammapeach (as is witnessed every day on this very forum) ... but everyone has a right to express their truthful thoughts.  What's not nice is immediately criticizing them for it.

Anyway, back to the topic ... maybe someone can explain to me why a gift would be necessary for joining a church?

False

"In the end we're all alone ... and no one's coming to save you."  -John Reese

Kneepads.

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

labrat_

grammapeach

No, Jaejme did not need to resist the urge to answer.  Her opinion is as valid as anyone else. 

The world may not always be your idea of "nice", grammapeach (as is witnessed every day on this very forum) ... but everyone has a right to express their truthful thoughts.  What's not nice is immediately criticizing them for it.

Anyway, back to the topic ... maybe someone can explain to me why a gift would be necessary for joining a church?

Thanks labrat!  That's what I like about this board--everyone can feel free to agree or disagree, and there are certainly a variety of opinions!   Some are just that, while others (as in my case) are based on experiences. As for why a gift might or might not be necessary--to each their own!

False

labrat_
    maybe someone can explain to me why a gift would be necessary for joining a church?

It's not necessary at all and it is more a token of rememberance than a gift. A bit on the lines of when I got my American citizenship, my in-laws gave me a beautiful fine gold and cloisonne pin of the American flag.

False

cast_iron_king

Kneepads.

LOL That was my first thought too!  You're so bad!

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

cast_iron_king
    Kneepads.

Good answer! Of course all the new Catholic churches come with cushions on the kneelers...LOL!

The above answers...(other than the hate filled anti-catholic one) are good ideas. I also like a placqe on an easel with the footprints in the sand poem

False

Every day I’m shufflin’

Therapy? lol. Angel

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country