How much sugar per 2 qts. of iced tea? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How much sugar per 2 qts. of iced tea?

Last post Apr 29, 2010 9:44 PM by movnspeechGA . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Re: How much sugar per 2 qts. of iced tea?

I add a scant 1/4 cup to a gallon of ice tea.  However, my DIL likes it without sugar....so when company comes I tend to leave the sugar out.  Then you have the with or without caffine (sp?).  And, if you want to be fancy, you can make a simple sugar syrup since sugar doesn't dissolve well in cold tea & let your guests add however much sweetener they want.  And, of course you'll have the folks who want the non-sugar sweeteners....some prefer the 'blue', others want the 'pink' brand.  Good luck.

False

I'd go for 1/4 cup.  I drink mine straight too.  However, my dd makes hers and for 1/2 gallon she uses 1/2 cup which I think is way too sweet.  Good luck.

False

A woman is like a teabag. You don't know her strength until she is in hot water.

This is what I just found on the net. Not T & T as I am not fond of sweetened tea. I bought one from McD's once and had to throw it on the ground.....yuk!  You could always serve it plain and let them add their own sugar and or lemon. The first recipe was posted on the board years ago by Chefly and I've made it several times. Even though it has sugar I liked it.  Good luck with your freenzy schedule.   Liz

Tampa Tea

2 cups boiling water

4 tea bags of orange pekoe or black tea

1 cup unbleached cane sugar

8 cups water

5 cups orange juice

1 cup line juice

slices of lime for garnish

Add tea bags to the boiling water.  Remove from heat and allow to steep for 5 minutes.  Add sugar and stir until dissolved.  Stir in remaining water and fruit juices and chill for 1 hour or overnight before serving.  Serve over ice with slices of lime for garnish.

Yiels:  1 gallon

3 Quarts water (give or take) not that important.

2 cups Sugar

4 Quart size tea bags.

Bring water to a rolling boil, add sugar. (Stir to dissolve)

Add 4 tea bags. Stir. Let sit 20 minutes or so.

Pour up into gallon jug or container. Fill the rest with cool water.

I like to put my sweet tea in the refrigerator for a few hours....

Nothing like a good ol glass of Southern sweet tea on a hot summer day. (or any other day as fasr as that goes :)

False

No Sugar... Use Splenda....

False

None.  Have some orange slices ready to go and you are good (in my opinion).  Sugar/splenda on the side.

P.S. only clean the rooms they will use and forget about that garage!!!

False
     Click for Sun City, Arizona Forecast

1/4 cup of sugar is NOt ENOUGH sugar for real sweet tea!!!  Southern tea drinkers would spit it out!  You have to use at least a cup of sugar for souther style sweet tea.  You put the sugar in the hot tea and dissolve it, THEN add your cold water and ice.

I don't personally use sugar anymore, I only use Splenda or Splenda sugar blend.  I sweeten my tea by the glass - about 1/2 tsp of Splenda per glass.

False

oh summer dear...why isn't your home ready for unexpected company.....I mean come on....any little wifey has it all together......LOL...Wink...make sure your little cute company outfit is ready too...and take time to get your hair done..maybe a mani and a pedi..LOL

okay...back to your question...NONE...let them sweeten their tea all by themselves...that way they can have it as sickly sweet as they like it....ICK....

I hope you have thought about some lovely lemon peels...all curled oh so cute...and fresh mint leaves too...snicker....

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

See....  How is anyone supposed to be ready for unexpected company with all that nonsense going on?!  Confused

Forget the tea and hire help. Cool

False

Summer, let me give you a great way to serve iced tea. Make it unsweetened and let people add their sweetener. Here is a rough recipe for simple syrup. It mixes right in to the tea. I use 1 C sugar and 3/4 C water. I also flavor my syrup with miny leaves and a few slices of lemon. Throw all together and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes and then cool it. Tada!! instant sweet tea to everybody's liking because they sweeten it themselves. Hope this helps. Have a good visit.

False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

I put about 1 1/4 cups of sugar per gallon of tea. It's not syrupy sweet , but is sweet enough. Of course, I'm a southerner and we do like it sweet.Stick out tongue

For myself tho, trying to cut calories, I've tried unsweet and couldn't stomach it.Tongue Tied

I use Splenda to make mine and sugar for the family's tea.

False