Sauerkraut on a hot dog | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Sauerkraut on a hot dog

Last post May 16, 2010 1:50 PM by ceekay . 27 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12
  • Sauerkraut on a hot dog

That sounds really good to me.  I am wondering how the sauerkraut is cooked.  I am talking about canned sauerkraut.  Does the vinegar get rinsed off and then heated, or is the vinegar not drained?  Sometimes I see on tv that the hotdog stands in NYC make this and I am wondering how it is made.

I think I would make it by rinsing the vinegar off really good, heat it up with a little butter and put on my hot dog.

False

Everything is okay in the end, if it's not okay, then it's not the end.

• Re: Sauerkraut on a hot dog

You're making my mouth water! ha I would just open the can and put it on the hot hot dog! cheese and mustard too, please! Stick out tongue

False
    All things are possible but trust God for the best for you. -Karen Y.

Take your saurkraut, and just dump it into a cooking pan. Take a taste of it. If it is to tart to you liking, add  a little bit of sugar to it, stir, and add a little bit of water, and lastly some pepper. Then heat it up.

It's natural for the strong  like you describe vinegar taste to be on the saurkraut. It's actually the brind. Saurkraut is made from cabbage aging in just water, and salt.

You can take your saurkraut, hotdogs, and place them in a slowcooker to cook or a roaster pan. To have your hotdogs flavored in the saurkraut taste too. I usually add keilbasa with the hotdogs, and saurkraut too.

False

We just heat it up and use it...don't rinse or drain it ....

We love it.....we never rinse it.....we love the tangy taste  of it....

Sometimes I even just heat up kielbasa in a pan with a little water, until it is cooked....then I add a can of sauekraut into the pan...( with this, I do add a dash of black pepper before serving)

We don't like caraway seed in sauerkraut or sugar  or apples in ours.....Just plain kraut....from the can.

I have a little nephew that loves sauerkraut....he would get the tiny can evey Christmas from some relative.....

On the hot dog....just heat the kraut up first.

Boy , now you have me craving sauerkraut and pork ribs, which I haven't fixed in awhile....Then I put the kraut over boiled potatoes, that I cook separately.....Better go shopping...This is just one of those comfort foods for me.....

False

I'm guessing that nobody here ever went to Nathan's in Coney Island. You haven't lived until you have eaten a Nathan's hot dog with mustard, kraut, Nathan's crinkle fries and a Nedick's orange drink. Sometimes I will put relish on the dog. But that's it!

False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

Ketchup, mustard (I like the dill mustard) and chopped onions on mine. I am not a sauerkraut fan, except on a reuben. Nathan's does have very good hot dogs. When I vacationed in NYC, they had a shop in Manhattan that we went to several times. There is one at the Mall of America here too.  We have a local butcher that has the absolute best hot dogs, summer sausage, ring bologna, bacon, beef jerky, and smoked turkey. They have all taken (smoked meats) National Grand Champion awards. I buy all of my meat there, and actually it is less expensive than the grocery store. They also sell the absolute best hot dog and hamburger buns I have ever tasted. They are starting to get more into small bakery items like cookies, pies and turnovers now.

False

jetfan27
    You haven't lived until you have eaten a Nathan's hot dog with mustard, kraut, Nathan's crinkle fries and a Nedick's orange drink

And don't forget Sabrett's onion and tomato sauce...ohmy...yummy yum yum!

OMG...do I have a craving right now...just about ready to grab the car keys and take the 4 hour drive into NYC Stick out tongue

At home, I heat the hodogs in the sauerkraut....prefer the fresh pack sauerkraut to the canned.  I drain it, add water and hot dogs and put the lot in a slow cooker.

When making sauerkraut with pork, I like to add onions and apples, a little brown sugar and mustard to the kraut and meat. I like to serve this over mashed potaotes. Pork and kraut can be cooked on top of the stove, in the oven or in the slow cooker...it is all good.

False

Being german as I am I love sauerkraut and use it often. On brats, hot dogs and I make a pork chop meal with sauerkraut. I never rinse it. It takes the flavor of the kraut away and makes it real bland. I take it out of the can and heat it up and put it on whatever I want it on. I use a sloted spoon so the juice does not get on the bun, but never rinse it.

False

jetfan27
    I'm guessing that nobody here ever went to Nathan's in Coney Island.

Sorry, but you'd be wrong!

jetfan27
    You haven't lived until you have eaten a Nathan's hot dog with mustard, kraut, Nathan's crinkle fries and a Nedick's orange drink.

I agree!

Hebrew National is the only sauerkraut I ever buy and it only comes in a bag.  IMHO, it's the best!

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

When we have sauerkraut from a can, we have hot dogs with it! I put the sauerkraut in a pan and I boil the hot dogs in another pan and then put the dogs in the kraut! Serve with mashed potatoes and a side of mustard for dipping the kraut and dogs! So good!

False

When we were in NYC last month, we had kraut on our hot dogs and it looked like it was simply steamed. Our tour guide said the dirtier the umbrella on the vendors cart, the better the hot dog. I thought that was funny. 

At work we have giant cans of kraut. We drain it good and just heat some up plain. At home though I would drain (I don't rinse it) and sautee in butter and a little onion and and a pinch or two of sugar. If I have bacon or bacon grease, that can be subbed for the butter. It rocks on a hot dog.

False

Rebecca

If I can give you a hint, never buy canned kraut. The Bag or Jar is so much better. To me the acid in kraut with tin is a awful combination. I myself like Vlasics Bavarian Kraut. I just drain , rise once and heat. It also makes that great kraut salad that goes wonderful with hot dogs and and sausages.
    False

When we lived in St. Louis, they sold kraut juice in the can, right along side V-8 and other juices. It was a bright green can. I have not seen it anywhere in WV. Dr. Oz said on one of his shows recently that everyone should sip a little kraut juice now and again as it had some special nutrient (can't remember) and that it helped keep leg cramps away.

False

Rebecca

Don't forget to add it to your chocolate cake!

Chocolate Sauerkraut Cake

¾ cup sauerkraut drained and chopped

1 ½ cups sugar

½ cup butter

3 eggs

1 tsp. pure vanilla

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

½ tsp. salt

1 cup water

½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1. Sift all dry ingredients together. Cream sugar, butter and vanilla. Beat eggs in one at a time.
    2. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with water.
    3. Add sauerkraut mix thoroughly.
    4. Pour into greased pan or pans.
    5. Bake 30 to 40 minutes until cake tests done.
    6. Frost
    False

Rebecca

Trudy may be German but I am surprised she uses CANNED Sauerkraut.

Oh YUCK, that is absolutely vile stuff.

I had never heard of or tasted canned Saurkraut out of a tin can until I cameto the US. One taste of it and it went into the garbage. Since I am alone I seldom cook it and when I do it is the bagged type or the one in a glass jar.(I still give it a light rinse)

We used to buy ours from a butcher, who had a big barrelof fresh Sauerkraut in the cooler. I used to snitch a handfull on the way home because it was so good.  

In  the part of Germany I came from everybody gave it a slight rinse to make it a bit milder. We ate Sauerkraut only in the winter and only once or twice a month. Cooked with smoked pork chops or "Kasseler Rippensper" or even with nice meaty country style ribs (pork or beef) it was almost like a special treat instead of a staple.

When I was growing up German cooking was more regional. In those days people in southern Germany ate more Sauerkraut then the rest of the population.

False