So what can you eat, that doesn't have Calcium, Zinc , Magnesum, or iron in it? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

So what can you eat, that doesn't have Calcium, Zinc , Magnesum, or iron in it?

Last post May 21, 2010 2:54 PM by purselamplady . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • So what can you eat, that doesn't have Calcium, Zinc , Magnesum, or iron in it?

I am on this Cipro antibiotic. You take it twice a day, and you can't have anything with Calcium, Zinc, Mangnesum, or Iron it it, 6 hours before, and two hours after. No milk with it, no yougurt. I got some of that Probiotic yogurt to eat with it, but, have to wait 2 hours for that. THis stuff can be lethal, sounds like it. *sigh* I am waiting for something to happen. Breathing difficulty, throat swellilng, stomach sickness, etc, lol. DS is gone to work, DH is going to work, and DD CAN"T DRIVE! So, cross your fingers, that I don't die tonight.

I can't eat my shrimp, not sure what the rice has in it, didnt bother to read the package. Who wants rice by itself. So, I wait. THis is stupid. I  wish he had just given me Macrobid, but, for some reason, wanted to give me a lethal Cipro.

False

catmint

• Re: So what can you eat, that doesn't have Calcium, Zinc , Magnesum, or iron in it?

Maybe it depends  on WHY you are on Cipro. I have had it several times for UT infection and did not have all those restrictions. IT did not kill me as you can see since I am still here.

Next time a doctor gives you instructions like that HAVE THEM  GIVE YOU A LIST OF THE FOODS YOU CAN EAT.

Call them first thing in the morning and tell them you want a list of foods you CAN eat.

The only reason they gave you such instructions is because if you get too much of those minerals the Cipro may not work as well as it would without or with smaller amounts.

Don't get yourself all upset, you are NOT going to die. Yes, you CAN eat rice all by itself if you have to, I am sure you can have quite a few things except multi vitamins ith  minerals or dark green veggies which have quite bit of calcium.

I can't get over why some doctors @@ can't give better explainaitions and/or instructions when they presribe a med.

Yes, most antibiotics can make you a bit sick in the stomach since they destroy the good bacteria along with the bad. When you are finished with the pills pro-biotics and yogurt will restore your system in a few days.

Hope you get better soon.

False
  • Re: So what can you eat, that doesn't have Calcium, Zinc , Magnesum, or iron in it?

Grelo, thanks, yes, it is for a UT. Which, is weird, but, it started Monday night, and I just got medicine today. I didn't get to the Dr. till yesterday, then the pharmacy dind't have it in stock. But, my bladder infection got better on Tuesday. I still went to see him the Dr. I don't know what is going on. I did go ahead  early Tuesday morning and take a Macrobid, which was 2 years old. He said that may have helped, but, I don't see how it knocked it out completely. Well, I still have some twinges. I am wondering if it isn't a yeast infection instead. I am going to get some monostat for that. I didn't even think, I could have asked him for that pill that they give you to keep from getting the yeast infection from the medicine. I wish I had thought of that. It the Dr. office calls me back in the morning about the appt. with the Rhuemotologist., I may ask if he can call that in for me.

Anyway, the side effects according to what I read on this Cipro,   your throat can swell up, and you can't breath! Of course, hopefully, I won't be allergic to it. Other nasty side affects , but, what doesn't now adays.

False

catmint

I've never been on cipro...but I get horribly sick on Macrobid.  Cipro is widely used - did not know it came with a lot of restrictions.   I wish I had some good advice - sending you mojo...

False

How to keep Gingerbread men from running away?  Eat them.

frenchpress, that makes me feel better. I  don't have any side effects on Macrobid. Maybe I won't on this. My stomach feels a little achy, though. I think I'll go take my shower, and then it won't be long I will be able to bake some of my shrimp. I don't eat that much at a time, anyway. I might eat some salad with it, too. AND some chocolate milk, which I haven't had all day!

False

catmint

Cat, Cipro is one of the antibiotics that I can take.  Don't understand why all the restrictions; I've had it many times and have not been told that?    I think they did say to not take some suppliments within a certain time period but nothing was said about foods. ???     I think you'll be fine.  And just to be sure...I'll be praying for you!   :)

False

Cat, I just did a search on Cipro and the site I found said to not take calcium, etc. suppliments within a certain time of taking the meds.

The ONLY food restriction was to drink plenty of water.   So you ought to be able to eat what you want.

BUT you go by what your Dr> or Pharmacist says about the meds!   Hugs!

False

Thanks Fay. I don't know. I don't understand all of it.

Here is what it says:

Take this medication at least 2 hours before or 6 hours after magnesium or alluminum containing antacids, or other products containing calcium, iron or zinc.

Do not take this medicine at the same time as milk, calcium fortified beverages or yogurt.

Somehow it binds with this stuff, and reduces the effectivness.

it does say this, thoug, Do not eat calcium rich foods within 6 hours before or 2 hours after taking cipr, unless you are eating these foods as part of a larger meal that contains other (non calcium rich) foods. These other foods decrease the calcium binding effect.

I think it is giving me heart burn.

False

catmint

It also says not to drink any caffiene drinks, or chocolate, because it can keep you from falling asleep. Well, there goes my chocolate milk. Sad

False

catmint

grannyfay__KY

Cat, I just did a search on Cipro and the site I found said to not take calcium, etc. suppliments within a certain time of taking the meds.

The ONLY food restriction was to drink plenty of water.   So you ought to be able to eat what you want.

BUT you go by what your Dr> or Pharmacist says about the meds!   Hugs!

didn't work the first time. Anyway, I don't know, I was reading the paper on it. And on the bottle was a little tag, which you could barely read.  Thanks for looking it up. I 'll wait a bit before eating something.  I've got plenty to do to occupy my time.

False

catmint

Cat.. I am with Fay here.. it is one of the very few I CAN take...The only thing I remember with it is do not take with Milk.....  drink lot's of water and it does cause me to be a little more sensitive to the sun....ie you burn very fast or get a rash from the sun....It is a high level broad spetrum antibiotic...and works well and fast on "super bugs"  This is also the drug that they were producing and stock piling as a cure for Anthrax exposure....this is the only known cure....

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

I guess one must read the warnings on prescribed meds, but most of them will scare you to pieces!  So many bad things it could do to you!  Listening to the ads on TV makes me wonder why anyone would want to even take the chance?

I have a home remedy for UTI and it has worked for me 100% of the time.  Might not work for everyone, but it is immediate and thorough for me.  The minute I realize I have the symptoms, I put a teaspoon of baking soda in an 8 oz glass of water and drink it.  I continue to drink water for awhile.  Before the day is gone I have a noticeable lessening of symptoms and the next day I am totally cleared of it!  Dunno why, but it works for me!

False

My husband has  a standing script for cipro since he's a paraplegic and self caths. He always knows when he's getting a bug and starts cipro right away. He's never been told there are any dietary restrictions.

False

THis is strange, isn't it. I wonder why my papers  say that. But, the site I got on to check out Cipro, it said the same thing.

I started drinking a lot of water when I first felt it, had to run to the bathroom a lot, since it went right through me,. By next day, it was a lot better, just some twinges now and then. I'm still not sure if it was a UT, but, I didn't want to chance it. I just hope it isn't the mesh Dr. used for my bladder  when I had my hyst. . They say it can cause problems, and sometimes I can feel it scratching me.

False

catmint

Hery Cat, here's some info I found for you:

HOW TO USE: Read the Patient Information Leaflet provided by your pharmacist before you start using ciprofloxacin and each time you get a refill. If you have any questions, consult your doctor or pharmacist.

This medication may be taken with or without food, usually twice a day in the morning and evening or as directed by your doctor.

The dosage and length of treatment is based on your medical condition and response to treatment. Drink plenty of fluids while taking this medication unless your doctor tells you otherwise.

Take this medication 2 hours before or 6 hours after taking any medications or antacids containing magnesium, aluminum, or calcium. Some examples include quinapril, certain forms of didanosine (chewable/dispersible buffered tablets or pediatric oral solution), vitamins/minerals, antacids, dairy products (e.g., milk, yogurt), calcium-enriched juice, and sucralfate. Other products include bismuth subsalicylate, iron, and zinc. These medications/products bind with ciprofloxacin and prevent its full absorption. However, this medication may be taken with dairy products or calcium-enriched juice as part of a meal because food helps prevent this effect.

http://www.rxlist.com/cipro-drug.htm
    False
    I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today - Wimpy