How to figure out how much food to buy for 100 people? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How to figure out how much food to buy for 100 people?

Last post Jun 25, 2010 10:25 PM by horseymom . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • How to figure out how much food to buy for 100 people?

I am working with a non-profit group which will be having the Vietnam Memorial moving wall coming, and we need to figure out how much food to feed 100 people per day.  Our people will be there 24/7 for the five days that the wall is here, so the food has to be something that can be kept easily.  I was thinking sandwiches one day, pizza another, and greek salad and breadsticks for a third day......but I still have  2 full days plus 3 set up/tear down days.  How many pounds of cold cuts do you get for that many sandwiches?

Any help or suggestions that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!!!  Thanks in advance! 

False
  • Re: How to figure out how much food to buy for 100 people?

http://recipeland.com/articles/show/151

This link might help you.

False

I'd go to google, bing or ask.com & type in cooking for a crowd.  I'm sure you'll be directed to many helpful sites.  Or, go to the library & check out a book on cooking for crowds....I'm sure there will be charts of recommended amounts.  Even my home cookbooks have some information in a back chapter on the subject.  Don't know what the kitchen facilities will be for you or how many crockpots you may have the use of....big pots of chili w/macaroni & various toppings (if you want to be fancy) & baskets of crackers could also be something for 1 day.  Pans of lasagna would stay hotter longer than pizza too or be another option.  Sloppy Joes for a crowd could also work.  Or, big bowls of hearty pasta salads too.  Plenty of seasonal fruit would probably be welcome....some are bound to be vegetarians....good luck.

False

You might consider something like hotdogs, chips and baked beans for one of the days. Depending on what type of facilities you have available, you could fill crock pots with the hot dogs or grill them and keep warm till needed. You could even grill them in advance and put on low in a crockpot to keep warm till needed. The beans and onions could be prepared ahead and kept in crock pots as well. Cookies would make an easy dessert, or ice cream bars if you had a way to keep them frozen. Maybe another sandwich type day with pimento cheese, egg salad, chicken salad or tuna salad. You could vary the bread as well. Croissants, wheat, white, etc. Could add some type of pasta or fruit salad.

False

Thank you for the reponses that was given.  One thing that I neglected to tell you is that we will not be near electricity, so we won't be able to plug things in.  The workers will be comig all day and all night....2-4 hour shifts and they will be coming for breaks and meals.

TOH people are the BEST!!!!

False

The no electricity is going to be a major problem....sounds like you'll be going w/lots of coolers filled w/sandwiches, hearty pasta salads, cold fried chicken (check w/some fast-food places or your local supermarket's deli for left over cooked chickens-maybe, considering the cause for the meals, they'll give you a really good deal).  Add fresh fruit, raw veggies, hard-cooked eggs, chips, pretzels and/or nuts, along w/cookies or brownies.  Don't know if heating the food elsewhere & serving it in catering-type pans w/the heat source under them, grills or a camper w/propane tanks to help w/heating or refrigerating the food?  Going to be a big undertaking....hope you have plenty of workers coming in thru the 5 days.  Please come back & tell us all what you served & how it worked out.

False

I will let you know how things turn out Lynn.  It's not till July 6-13, so it'll be a while before I reply, but I will.

Thanks for your suggestions.  We have someone bringing an 8 burner grill, so we can do hot dogs, hamburgers, and pancakes for the night crew as breakfast.  We have some guys that will be roughing it there in tents with porta johns and no running water (no showers).  So, I'd like to make sure that they at least get some decent food.  I like the idea of cooler, and I think I'll put out  a request for them.

Thanks again!

False