Need help converting crock-pot recipe times to regular stove-top | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need help converting crock-pot recipe times to regular stove-top

Last post Jul 23, 2010 8:42 PM by brigid by the lake . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Need help converting crock-pot recipe times to regular stove-top

I am not a crock-pot/slow cooker type of gal.  I don't feel comfortable leaving something cooking unattended all day.  I just got a new cookbook that has many slow cooker recipes.  Is there a way to convert the times to work for a regular stove-top or oven without a lot of trial and error??

brigidSleep

False

• Re: Need help converting crock-pot recipe times to regular stove-top

Hi Brigid!  I'm not expert of course, and I love my crockpot, but I'd imagine the only difference would be you make your food on the stove or in the oven, um, faster.

Right now I have a sauce cooking in my crock pot.  It's been on there since this morning and it makes the house smell so good!  If I wanted to make it on the stove I would have started it around now.  I assume the only difference is the slow cooker, um, cooks things slower. lol. kwim?

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

Widdle_NY
    I'd imagine the only difference would be you make your food on the stove or in the oven, um, faster.

Kind of a 'duh' moment, but do you have any idea how much faster?  I don't want to burn or have something turn mushy.  If it says slow-cook for 6 hours do I halve that time?  Quarter it?  They're all vegetarian recipes.

brigidSleep

False

When I cook on the stove and trust me, I love my crock pot so that doesn't happen too often.  Okay, here's what I do.  Pay attention now.  You might want to write this down.  I'll wait for you to get a pen and paper.  Ready?  How do I know when something is done on the stove?  The same way I know it's done in the crock pot...I taste it!  Indifferent lol.

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

Widdle_NY
    The same way I know it's done in the crock pot...I taste it! 

Again, a duh moment.  I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes!Wink

brigidSleep

False

Brigid, I'm sorry I'm the only one who replied to you.  I guess that means I'm right.  What can I say, it's a curse. lol.  Whatever you make I'm sure it'll be delicious.  What time we eating?  Smile

False

Brigid, I've cooked crockpot recipes on the stove top or in the oven.  Generally, if it's a cut of meat (hold on - I'm getting there!) that requires a long cooking time, like stew beef or beef short ribs, I'll check another recipe book for similar things not made in a crock pot.  If your recipes call for rice or beans, you'd figure the cooking time based on those ingredients.  A casserole made with rice as a base would take about 35-45 minutes in the oven at 350.  Pasta-based recipes would take about the same, presuming the pasta is cooked before hand.  Most of those dishes really just need to be heated through.  You could also figure that casseroles where all the ingredients are cooked ahead of time and then combined would take less time.  Also, you might need less or more liquid on top of the stove or in the oven than in the crockpot.  I'd look at the recipe with my "cook's eyes" and make the adjustments.

False

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin

Howdy Brig - without seeing the recipe, I couldn't tell ya.  Have a recipe in mind?

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I don't think there's much of anything that one can cook in a crockpot, that I can't do on the range in under 30 minutes.  Running an electrical, heat-producing appliance all day simply doesn't appeal to me.  Not from an ecological, or financial, or nutritional standpoint.  Foods are so much healthier if cooked quickly and not overcooked.,  But that's just one person's opinion.

For quick rangetop cooking, you may have to replace some ingredients with others.  For example, if you're going to make a stew in about a half hour, you use something like sirloin tips, rather than stew meat, of course.  If you're cooking veg that normally take a while, they need to be in relatively small pieces to help speed up the cooking process.

Since you said the recipes are mostly for veg, you should have no problem.  Just cook on the range, until the vegetables are done to your family's liking.  Unless you're talking white or sweet potatoes, squash or something else really firm, most times, vegetables aren't going to take you more than 10-15 minutes, but it will, of course, depend upon the veg, the recipe, etc.

False

I wanted to thank everyone for helping me with my cooking dilemma.  It sounds like I need to cook like a regular soup/stew, but maybe reduce the recommended water.

Right now it's 100 in the shade so my soup cooking may be put off for a few months!

Thanks for all the help!

brigidSleep

False