To wash or not to wash~ Chicken that is! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

To wash or not to wash~ Chicken that is!

Last post Aug 07, 2010 7:32 PM by rrdgrnr . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • To wash or not to wash~ Chicken that is!

Interesting article on washing chicken. What do you do?

Stop washing raw chicken, food agency advises

Healthzone.ca ^ | August 4, 2010 | Lesley Ciarula Taylor

Julia Child and other old cookbooks may tell you to wash raw chicken before cooking, but health agencies are warning against it.

The British Food Standards Agency has joined the chorus that advises to stop rinsing off raw chicken. The agency contends that 65 per cent of all raw chicken is contaminated with campylobacter, which causes food poisoning.

Cooking kills the bacteria; washing raw chicken just spreads it around the kitchen, the FSA says.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has long warned against spreading campylobacter through raw food, including chicken, and advised washing hands and surfaces with soap and water after handling.

Campylobacter jejuni, which can cause stomach cramps, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, is found in the intestines of poultry, cattle and pigs. It is responsible for up to 14 per cent of the cases of diarrhea, according to Ontario’s Workplace Safety & Insurance Board.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture also advises against washing raw chicken, and points out that brining chicken in salt water is a taste issue, not one of food safety.

The British FSA is advocating one step further, however: antimicrobial washes for raw chicken before it goes on sale.

“We are aware there may be resistance from the public to antimicrobial washes,” an FSA spokesman tells the Daily Telegraph. “That is why we are starting this consultation.”

New Zealand uses the wash, which is diluted lactic acid, on chicken carcasses, but it is not yet approved by the European Union.

The FSA estimates 300,000 people in England and Wales fall ill because of campylobacter each year and 80 die.

False

• Re: To wash or not to wash~ Chicken that is!

I rinse it, and will continue to rinse it. If you're of a certain age, you'll remember the 60 Minutes piece about the "fecal soup" in chicken processing plants. Take the proper precautions and there'll be no problem. No unrinsed chicken at my house! 

False

I rinse chicken and will continue to.  I have separate knives, boards etc for poultry, meat and veggies.  They get washed immediately after use.  I also rinse out the sink afterwards using bleach and clean the counters with antibacterial solution.  I take precautions.  :-)

False
    Witty Whitney!

Whine, same thing here too. Funny growing up my Mom would thaw out the chicken on the counter all day, I am alive. I really am funny about chicken and cross contamination, seems back in the 60's don't think they thought about it. Also we never had dates on food to tell us when it expire. Mom would smell it. DD drives me nuts, it expired yesterday so throw it out. Chicken really does scare me and I take extra steps to be really clean.

False

My fowl always gets a bath before I cook it.  Period.  I can't imagine how one would get at all those little nasty bits that have to come off without some water.

False

"Wear it home. It'll look like a dress."

I ALWAYS wash,,( rinse off with COLD running water.. the Chicken and solid Pieces of Beef. and Pork,,, and IF the Powers and intellects don't like it they can Kiss my Grits...You don't know how long the stuff has been sitting since being packaged or How clean the area really was where it was cut up..Also Rince fruits and Vegetables..  

False
    I am another who rinses chicken off before cooking, and I will continue. As others said, using proper cleaning of all surfaces after handling poultry is the key.
    False

My Mom was washing off the chicken parts long before there were "rules" about doing it. None of us ever got sick and I still do it to this day.

If people aren't smart enough to know that when they are handling any raw meat product that they can contaminate the area then they have no business in the kitchen.

I use my bleach solution after any preparation of the meal. Hasn't killed me yet. :)

False