When it's cold out..do you still hang clothes out on the line? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

When it's cold out..do you still hang clothes out on the line?

Last post Oct 02, 2010 4:47 PM by ReneeC___NCalif . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • When it's cold out..do you still hang clothes out on the line?

I love the smell of nature in clothes, if it is fragrant. Even the cold weather brings some kind of freshness to the clothes. I will hang clothes outside if its cold out. But only if I know the sun and wind will dry them. If there is any petpeeve I have it's clothes hanging forever around wet. I want them to dry and not stay soggy forever.

False
  • Re: When it's cold out..do you still hang clothes out on the line?

As I do not own a dryer, I hang my laundry out on the line year round. Here's my saying "Wash clothes when the sun shines" Stick out tongue

Gets a bit tough though in Jan/Feb/Mar when temps are sub freezing. I have been known to bring my damp wash to the laundromat in town and use their dryers.

False

For me personally- I don't care for clothes lines and don't use one. DS also  has very severe allergies.

I don't consider it my responsibility however  to impose my opinion on neighbors etc... If they feel like using one and they are not restricted in their neighborhood IMO they should go for it.~A

I thought this article had some interesting points pros and cons-

The simple clothesline is getting a lot of press lately: People either love it or hate it, and that controversy is heating up now that it's warm outside. Many private communities have banned the use of clotheslines because they believe it makes an area appear to be poor, according to an article on  (Link below )

Time magazine's Money blog.

Another article in (link Below)

The New York Times  reported that even a trailer park forbid one of its residents from hanging her laundry.

However, now that frugality rules, clotheslines are gaining the upper hand. There's even a documentary film in the making about the right-to-dry movement, which is called Drying for Freedom, to be released in late 2010. (You can see the trailer here.)

We researched the reasons why people love or hate the clothesline, and here are some answers:

Pro-clothesline folks love air drying because it shaves significant money off of electric bills (in fact, according to Time, dryers account for about 15% of domestic energy). Clothesline fans also say clothing smells fresher and does not wear out as fast. Plus, whites are brighter when dried in the sun.

On the other hand, anti-clothesline activists say outdoor drying makes allergies worse by capturing dander on fabric. They also claim air drying is a hassle, complaining it takes too much time to hang clothing, that clothes fall off line and need to be rewashed, that garments feels "crunchy" after it dries a line and that the line itself is difficult to install. Plus, they're worried their neighbors will think a clothesline is an eyesore and that clothesline users can't afford an electric dryer. Lastly both clothesline haters and those of us who love clotheslines are not too fond of the love affair that bugs and birds have with hanging clothing.

So, if you want to put up a clothesline, but you're still stuck on any lingering stigma, there are a couple of options. You can find some streamlined products, such as the aesthetically-pleasing retractable clothesline. Or, you can just tell any neighbors who are giving you the hairy eyeball that you are installing a solar clothes dryer. Who can argue with that?

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

My son took mine down when he put my swing up, didn't even bother to ask me! The only thing I would hang out is bed sheets, everyone in my family compained about the rest being hung out. I had a wooden folding rack that I would hang things on if they were still damp, that's good for the humidity in the house too.
    False

If I was able to have one yes I would. But Dh thinks its tacky and we also have black widows and scorbians bad. So I would also be scared to do it. But my mom alway's did in the colds months and the clothers seemed nice and crisp.

False
    Yes, I hang out most of my laundry even in the winter. I do have a dryer but use it only if a rainy wash day. Laundry if properly shaken when taken out of the washer and hung correctly is not "crunchy" and if it does need ironing is a lot easier. Sheets are never dried in the dryer, cannot stand the smell or should I say no fresh smell. What my neighbors think of my clothesline is their business not mine. If they want to pay my electric bill than maybe they can influence my laundry ways.
    False

tried hanging clothes when we 1st came to fl...forget it.  outside is buggy and under the screen was better but it rained everytime.....well, almost everytime!!!

but i really miss the smell of clothes hung out in the fresh air.  and if they got a little frozen i wood bring them in and drape them (sheets and cases) over the chair s in the kitchen to defrost and you could smell them all thru the house!!!  i do miss that!!!

think we'll visit pg and eat sea bass while my sheets hang on her clothes line!!!  how about it maxine!!!lol

False

Summer74
    unused guest bathtub, and I hang stuff there (on plastic hangers) to dry, year-round.

I also do this for sweaters or Delicate Fabrics.Yes ~A

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

I love to hang clothes outside.  I will hang them out in the winter, only if it is a sunny day.  Love the smell of line dried clothing.  

If the weather is snowy or rainy, I then hang my clothes in the attic.  Yes, the attic.  Hubby put a couple lines up for me years ago.  Our attic is clean, and uncluttered, and it stays warm year around, since we have radiators in the attic.    So it is the perfect place to dry clothing on those days that it can't be hung outside.

Oh, by the way, I do not own a clothes dryer.  Embarrassed   But, that is by choice.

False

What do you mean by cold? It gets way into the subzero around here, so then.. no I don't. But I do hang clothes on the lines as long as I can..... depending on snow, and temperature. I'll not hang them out to freeze dry or freeze my fingers. Love the fresh smell of clothes that have dried on the lines outside. When it's too cold or I can't get to the clothes lines, I hang some things on a line that we have in the furnace room. Some things I WILL NOT put in the dryer. IMO, the dryer is so hard on clothes. But in the winter I have no choice to put most laundry in the dryer.

False

http://mammascookin.blogspot.com/

carrotop_f

tried hanging clothes when we 1st came to fl...forget it.  outside is buggy and under the screen was better but it rained everytime.....well, almost everytime!!!

but i really miss the smell of clothes hung out in the fresh air.  and if they got a little frozen i wood bring them in and drape them (sheets and cases) over the chair s in the kitchen to defrost and you could smell them all thru the house!!!  i do miss that!!!

think we'll visit pg and eat sea bass while my sheets hang on her clothes line!!!  how about it maxine!!!lol

Bass derby going on now so plenty of fresh fish. Come ahead Ct. happy to have you. Oh, was up home last weekend and BigE(Expo) going on in Springfield. Bigger than ever.
    False

Having a dryer means you don't have to hang clothes out any more.   All the years I didn't have one, I wanted one - so the day I got my first dryer was the last day I  ever put anything on a clothesline. 

False

My dad used to hang clothes out even when it was 20 degrees.  I could never figure that out, especially if there was snow on the ground.  We had a perfectly good dryer!

False
    I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today - Wimpy

I have a dryer but line dry whenever I can.... winter we can go weeks with rain daily so tough then but I have a wooden rack that I put them on next to the fireplace and they dry well... it really saves a lot of cash on the electric bill!!!

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-