Do you put a pickle on your Christmas Tree? or what other heritage items are placed on your tree? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Do you put a pickle on your Christmas Tree? or what other heritage items are placed on your tree?

Last post Dec 09, 2010 9:51 AM by Lady Fingers . 22 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 12
  • Do you put a pickle on your Christmas Tree? or what other heritage items are placed on your tree?

I have one, I think it may be made out of  glass...more I think about it maybe it is metal. Been way to long since I put it on the tree. A family member who hosted a party, presented the pickle with the story to each  family represented at the party many many years ago.

I think it's unique how some people still follow customs that were invented hundreds of years ago.

I was just telling someone about the Christmas Spider and  the legend with it. Which reminds me I need to see if I still have all the stuff to make them one. Anyone hear of it too?

Is their any other custom you learned and do from your heritage to place on the tree?

False
  • Re: Do you put a pickle on your Christmas Tree? or what other heritage items are placed on your tree?

I like the legend of the spider in the Christmas tree turning to gold when he saw the Christ child.

But, then again, I like legends and traditions.

False
  • Re: Do you put a pickle on your Christmas Tree? or what other heritage items are placed on your tree?

Our pickle ornament is quite old...belonged to my grandparents....has a hole burnt on the bottom of it from when they used candles to light the tree. 

False

Yes we do it's is quite old too... we don't play the game anymore as the kids are grown now... Maybe once the Gkids are older we can start again...  

False

I'm guessing this isn't the same "Hide the Pickle" game Mr. has tried to talk me intoAngel

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

sstetzel

I'm guessing this isn't the same "Hide the Pickle" game Mr. has tried to talk me intoAngel

LOL, I've never heard of putting a pickle on the Christmas tree either Sue.

False

I have my parents original 1960's silver filigree electric chirping ball - it drives my husband crazy.  Although it is much easier to find in the tree than the pickle ornament we have Big Smile

False

Summer74

Someone wash out Sue's BB account with soap!  Surprise

Now how do you know I wasn't talking about the jar of pickles in the fridge?Geeked

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

Summer74
    You and Britney Spears are not that innocent.... Stick out tongue

LOL

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Hiding a pickle in the Christmas tree is an old German tradition. The child that finds the pickle Christmas morning, recieves a special gift from Santa.

Yes, I hide the pickle in the tree after everyone has gone to bed on Christmas Eve. The person who finds the pickle gets the one and only gift under the tree.  (We open our gifts to one another on Christmas Eve)

False

http://mammascookin.blogspot.com/

We do the pickle too.  The original kids have outgrown it but we have a new generation coming up who will soon be old enough to look for it.

False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast