How do you make meatloaf? Do you have to have ketchup on top of your meatloaf? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you make meatloaf? Do you have to have ketchup on top of your meatloaf?

Last post Jan 29, 2011 5:45 PM by DAR lady . 31 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 123
  • How do you make meatloaf? Do you have to have ketchup on top of your meatloaf?

I like to make meatloaf several ways. I have a meatloaf in the oven right now and did what I call a cheater but great tasting way.

I took hamburger, sausage, box of stuffing mix, onion sliced, eggs, and milk. Mixed it all together. Then put ketchup on top. It's quick and fast. I would have loved to put a several slices of bacon on top. But forgo having that flavor right now.

I will make meatloaf with hamburger,eggs, milk,  parsley, oregano, garlic, pepper, and bread crumbs or oatmeal, yes! oatmeal can add a great flavor. Sometimes with ketchup on top. Bake and enjoy!

Sometimes I like to use tomato sauce poured over the meatloaf to flavor it up. Sometimes I like to add minced cheese.

Sometimes I will put ketchup on top of the meatloaf. Then sometimes I will not.   

Leftover meatloaf is either frozen for another meal. Or cut up and used like meatballs for in spaghetti for the meatloaf not to go to waist.

False
  • Re: How do you make meatloaf? Do you have to have ketchup on top of your meatloaf?

Oh yum...my favorite comfort food, and I haven't made any in ages since I'm now living alone...have to eat out to get it.

I always used the Betty Crocker recipe for making meatloaf, using bread crumbs, several herbs and spices, Worcestershire sauce, and, of course, eggs to hold it together.  No catsup on top, because some people don't like it.  So when I have my serving of meatloaf, I nearly drown it in catsup.  Any that is left over could be cut up and add some canned beef gravy to it, then served over biscuits or just bread. Otherwise, I like to fry up a slice and make a sandwich out of it...don't really like a cold meatloaf sandwich.

When I made a meatloaf, I used 1 pound of ground beef, and a half pound of ground pork...good flavor.

False
  • Re: How do you make meatloaf? Do you have to have ketchup on top of your meatloaf?

I probably never make meatloaf the same way twice. Ground beef, milk, eggs, bread crumbs or oatmeal, onion, garlic powder and what ever seasonings I feel like at the moment. I usually make mini meatloaves. I top mine with catsup, brown sugar and mustard but some of my family likes it plain so I do half with topping and half without. 

We haven't had meatloaf for a while so it's about time to make it.

False

I use 1 1/2 pounds of ground venison,1 egg,1 can of Campbell's vegetable soup,worcestershire,some minced onion,and 1/2 a package of crackers. I put a few slices of bread in the bottom of the baking dish,put the meatloaf on top,cover with foil and bake. I take it out about 20 minutes before its done and put Heinz ketchup(has to be Heinz,I dont like ketchup usually,but on my meatloaf Im picky) on top and return it to the oven. Its one of our favorites!

False

I'm sitting here eating a meatloaf sandwich. I made 9 meatloaves yesterday. I feed about 40 people at our kids program at church on Wednesdays. Meatloaf and mashed potatoes (yesterday we had corn and biscuits too) is a favorite.
    False
    I like the ketchup (or tomato sauce), brown sugar, mustard glaze on meatloaf, but so many of the kids don't like it so I don't put anything on the meatloaves at church. We put ketchup on the tables and the kids can enhance their slices if they want.
    False
    I am with you Summer. Nothing on top. Worchestershire sauce in and ketchup in. And I NEVER freeze meatloaf. The best thing about meatloaf are the cold sandwiches with ketchup and pepper. I sometimes make a meatloaf and throw it in the refridgerater just for sandwiches.
    False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

I don't like peppers and onions chunks in my meatloaf, so I used to use onion soup mix, but found that stovetop chicken flav. is good in it. And I put steak Sauce A1 in mine and on top with a egg mixed in.

False

1/2 pound 4% ground beef

1 egg

1 medium onion, chopped

1 slice bread, crumbed

1 carrot, shredded

parsley

squirt of catsup

mix together and form in the loaf pan then more catsup on top...bake at 375 degrees 1 hour...

I use the same recipe for stuffed peppers...only I add the chopped pepper tops into the meat mixture.....and I use red bell peppers now....they taste so much better....

we don't usually have much leftover, maybe enough for a lovely sandwich the next day...and I never got the using cube meatloaf as meatballs....especially if there is catsup on top...but that is just me....

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

I make sweet and sour meatloaf.  No ketchup anywhere. There's hamburger, rolled oats, egg,  tomato sauce, onion, salt and pepper in the meatload. The sauce has tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, white sugar and mustard.

False
    I use the Lipton onion soup recipe ... so there's ketchup in it and on the top.  Yum.
    False

I use my mom's recipe which is ketchup based.   Fortunately, because that's the only way dh will eat it.  He won't even order it at restaurants anymore because it's never as good as mine :)

False

I only make it one way. If I happen to make something well enough they like, I don't change it. lol

DH likes it ketchupy?? so , I put a small can of tomato sauce in it, plus a few squirts of ketchup. The ketchup on top.

False

catmint

I make my meatloaf with lean ground beef, finely chopped onion, bread crumbs, salt and pepper, an egg and tomato sauce.  I add 1/2 a small can of the tomato sauce to the meatloaf, the other half goes on top of the loaf.  I don't like ketchup, I prefer the tomato sauce.

My mom always put a finely grated potato in her meatloaf to make it juicky. She put bacon on the top also. She sometimes used oatmeal as well.

False