What's the difference between Saigon cinnamon & regular cinnamon??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What's the difference between Saigon cinnamon & regular cinnamon???

Last post Mar 12, 2011 12:53 AM by BonnieRae . 23 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 12
  • What's the difference between Saigon cinnamon & regular cinnamon???

Is the Saigon cinnamon just stronger or bolder?

False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

• Re: What's the difference between Saigon cinnamon & regular cinnamon???

I don't know what the 'technical' difference is, but I bought some and didn't like it at all. It burned like the dickens, and even aside from that, it had a strange taste. I either gave it away or tossed it, because it's not in my cabinet anymore. I tried quite a few times to use it, hoping that it would be better used in a different way, but ended up throwing out pretty much everything I used it in.

False

Penzey's description of their Chinese cinnamon (much like Saigon cinnamon):  Extra sweet, spicy and strong.

False

Besides $$$$?  LOL  Saigon cinnamon is bolder and spicier.

False
    Witty Whitney!

One has Saigon in it and one does not!

False

A few years ago, I did a taste test.  At the time, Penzey's had 4 different cinnamons (think they may have even more varieties now).  Anyway, I bought a small bottle of each.  Made up cinnamon sugar (measuring carefully, so it was all the same proportions), then I made a slice of toast and cut it into quarters.  Put a little on each one.  There is a huge difference in the flavor of different varieties of cinnamon.

I've come to the conclusion that the Indonesian Korintje suits me best for general use (baking, French toast, etc).  And I also keep Ceylon on hand for use with fruit.  Ceylon is true cinnamon, but it actually tastes very different from what most of us think of when we think 'cinnamon'.  It's different enough that I always keep both those types on hand.

I'd suggest that you might consider doing the same as I--Penzey's spices are cheap, you can easily buy a few varieties to compare.  None of them are bad--I used all I bought for that taste test--but you may find that one or another of them is the 'best' for your taste.

False

LOVE Saigon cinnamon.....to me it's a stronger flavor...that stands up....sometimes cinnamon can just disappear in a recipe....

I purchased a small bottle of smoked cinnamon...haven't used that yet....

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Do you use less of the Saigon because it is stronget? I need to order some soon so this isn't helping my decision making process.   lol  They all sound like they would be a good choice.

False

Liz I buy the Siagon at Costco.. a pound for 3.89.... I LOVE the flavor it is so much more cinnamony(is that a word) Cinnamon rolls are beyond wonderful when I use this cinnamon....after using this I will hunt for it rather than go back to regular!!

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

Vietnamese Extra Fancy Cinnamon
    Vietnamese cinnamon is the strongest, richest, and sweetest cinnamon around. For traditional cinnamon recipes such as gooey cinnamon rolls, the vibrant flavor of Vietnamese cinnamon really shines.

It is so strong, that in most recipes it should be cut back by about a third, but it is perfect used full strength in any recipe where cinnamon is the main, delicious flavor. Ground, from Vietnam.

False

Penzy's  cinnamon's   .....compare them all

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/c-SpicesAs_Herbs_and_Seasonings.html?id=gMojvaSz

False

Saigon tastes much better! 

False

Nature is the 'Great Mysterious' ... the religion before religions. Peter Matthiessen, Indian Country

Agree, Saigon cinnamon makes the flavor stand out in cinnamon rolls!  Adds a touch of something special to apple pie also. 

I'd say it's stronger than reg. cinnamon. 

False

Taste. LOL (sorry that was my first reaction!)

I like it better than "store bought" cinnamon. It's more intense than regular cinnamon. When I add it to something, I add it gradually and taste when I can because I made brown sugar cinnamon oatmeal one time and just sort of tossed some in, LOL, got a leeetlebit too much in there *G* But if I was gonna screw something up, at least it wasn't anything important so I play it safe now! It's really good I like it.

False

If I posted this twice --- please just forgive ---

I like the stronger cinnamon.   Cassia is the common kind we buy at most grocery stores.

Here is a site that somewhat explains the difference of the cinnamons.

http://www.suite101.com/content/difference-between-cassia-and-cinnamon-a89695

False

Kindness is love with its work clothes on.