What does acorn squash taste like? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What does acorn squash taste like?

Last post Jun 22, 2014 5:43 PM by Melliskeylimepie . 20 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 12
  • What does acorn squash taste like?

Is it anything similar to butternut?  I love butternut squash but haven't had acorn.  My mother used to cook it, but I never ate it.  How do you pick a good one?

False
    I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today - Wimpy
  • Re: What does acorn squash taste like?

IMO it's "sweeter"...try it with brown sugar or maple syrup...yum!

False

Yes, I agree that acorn squash is sweeter. My favorite with butter and brown sugar baked in the oven until soft. Yum!

False

"She was not what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."

Mark Twain

I'll have to get one come fall.  I'm sure they're not available in the summer.

False
    I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today - Wimpy

to pick a ripe acorn you look for a nice dark yellow or orange spot on the bottom....  I cook it with brown sugar and butter or maple syrup ... 9/10 I will do it with meatloaf, baked potatoes and acorn squash as a meal because it is all cooked in the oven! and all about the same amount of time!

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

To me, it has a sweet potato taste.  I'm not a big squash fan, so seldom serve it.

False

Some days, I can literally see the testosterone floating in the air around here. 

PLL, I am growing acorn squash in the garden this year and so far it is doing well...it will be this coming winter's veggie, along with butternut. I find the two interchangeable. I fix it in the microwave ... add a little butter and brown sugar or honey or maple sugar...simple, sweet and totally yummy.

False

I find them very similar in taste. I think the Acorn squash can be stringy sometimes which is why hubby doesn't like it. Butternut squash has less of a tendency to be that way. I like both of them.
    False

I add a little cinnamon to the butter & brown sugar when I bake them.....we like them.  I prefer the acorn over the butternut.  

False

I am growing some this year. I haven't ever eaten any. I have acorn, butternut, crookneck, and zucchini in the same place. Not sure if they will mix, though. I didn't thnk of that till after I planted. The plants are beautiful. But, my crookneck isn't getting very big till they get rough. I've had to pick them small.

False

catmint

We prefer butternut over acorn squash.  I only add butter to butternut but acorn does not seem to have as much taste to me unless it is doctored up plus, I prefer the texture of the butternut squash. 

Plus, it probably didn't help that my mom only made acorn squash while I was growing up and at that time didn't care for squash period.

False

♀♀ = Love

♂♂ = Love

♀♂ = Love

A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others. -the movie Barnyard

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived!

Click for Milwaukee, Wisconsin Forecast

I  just use butter, salt and pepper when I cook it,  I want a vegetable not dessert lol. Then again, I don't add anything but butter and salt to my sweet potatoes either.

False

I think it has a Nutty Sweet flavor.   I really like it.

False

siggie budgie-little green Duckling kissing heart  

Colossians 3:17, 23,24

_FOOTSIE
    I  just use butter, salt and pepper when I cook it,  I want a vegetable not dessert lol. Then again, I don't add anything but butter and salt to my sweet potatoes either.

I'll second that!! That's the only way I eat them too!!

False

My son will not eat any veggie except sweet potatoes so I bought an acorn squash to try and fake him out.  I baked it with maple syrup, salt, and butter and mashed it up.  I think he liked the taste ok but not the stringyness.  So, I put the leftovers in a blender with a little stock and whirled it up.  I am going to give it a try tomorrow night for dinner.  

Anyway, back to the question... I like it and my son MAY like it but we are the only two in the family who do so I don't buy it often.  I think the "nutty/ sweet" description is the closest.  

False