Can you freeze cream pies??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can you freeze cream pies???

Last post Oct 25, 2011 1:40 AM by cutePieGuy . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Can you freeze cream pies???

Has anyone tried freezing a cream pie?  I have done pumpkin pies and they have worked great.  Right now I have alot of extra milk, thought it would be nice for this winter.  I really don't think it would work, but thought maybe someone has a special "trick" up their sleeve.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions you may have. Also if you have any suggestions for a milk based recipe that can be frozen I would love to try it.

Again thanks!!!!!

False

Patricia

• Re: Can you freeze cream pies???

I don't know about the pies but you can freeze milk.

False

There are frozen cream pies in the grocery stores, so I don't know why you couldn't freeze your own at home.

False

I don't think it will work. I think the fillings will be watery when you thaw it out. The commercial frozen cream pies probably have stabilizers in them that the home cook does not have access to.

False

YES! You can freeze cream pies. I freeze chocolate, and peanutbutter. I make the crust and bake it. Then I make my pudding cream pie filling, and pour it into the baked crust. Chill and freeze. We enjoy them even frozen without thawing them to eat. You can even make a vanilla filling and put strawberries with it and enjoy a strawberry filling. It's great to try other crusts, from cookies, to graham crackers instead of a regular crust. Now I do not make the merigune on top. The pies are usually eaten plain or with coolwhip. I was trying to rack my brain, that I think lemon or coconut would work too. It's been ages since I have made filling pies. It's usually something done around Easter and I gave up feeding a crowd on that holiday.

Share your pumpkin filling you freeze? I know ages ago on the boards someone said they frozen pumpkin pie. I would like to try it sometime.

False

I normally would have said "no", but since I've discovered "Clear-jel" I see no reason why you couldn't. If you do and intend to reheat them before serving, use the "regular" Clear-jel. It is the one to be used with heat. The instant is to be used when freezing or no heat is required at any time. If you're not familar with it , it can be purchased online at King Arthur flour.Smile

False

THE AMERICAN'S CREED I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people, whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a Republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect Union one and inseparable, established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots scrificed their lives and fortunes. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to suport its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect it's flag, and to defend it against all enemies. Proud member of The Daughters of The American Revolution

Thanks for all the help. 

DAR lady - With the clear jel do you know how I would substitute for cornstarch or flour?  Would you use the same amount or will there be instructions with the clear jel?

Enjoynature  -  I would be glad to share my pumpkin pie recipe.  It was my grandmother's and probably even great grandmother's.

3 eggs

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 Tablespoon flour

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

1 1/2 cups cooked mashed pumpkin

1 1/2 cup whole milk

Beat eggs and sugars.  Add flour, salt and spices mix well.  Then add pumpkin and milk, mix well.  Pour into unbaked pie crust.  Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 400 degrees and bake 25 minutes or until done.

The recipe makes 1 regular pie with some filling left over for a smaller pie.  You'll just have to experiment with your pie plates to see how to adjust.

After they have cooled completely I freeze them, then after they are froze I put them into vacuum seal bags, seal and put back in the freezer.  To thaw remove from freezer immediately take out of bag and thaw.

Enjoynature - Do you have any trouble with your cream pies that you freeze turning watery?  Do you use cornstarch or flour as a thickening? 

Thanks

False

Patricia

It's almost one for one, I think there are recipes included with the clear-jel. I've never made cream pies with it to freeze so I'm not completely sure but here's what one siste says about it ( I first ordered from this site and got a lot of recipes for fruit pies and fillings with my order)

ClearJel Starch

Kitchen Krafts

Use ClearJel Starch for smooth, dependable thickening of fillings, sauces and gravies. Where recipes call for corn starch, simply substitute with ClearJel. You can also use ClearJel in place of flour, in gravies, where flour is used as a thickener. ClearJel won't hide the flavors like flour does and will maintain its thickness and consistency upon reheating after refrigeration or freezing. 1 lb. (approx. 2 cups) is enough to make fillings for up to 14 pies. Storage life of at least 1 year when stored in a cool, dry place.

and here are the customer reviews from that site

Product review for ClearJel Starch

Overall Rating:

Write an online review of this product and share your thoughts with other customers

Sort Reviews: Newest | Oldest | Highest Rating | Lowest Rating 

NEXT :: Viewing page 1 of 2

-  Thursday, June 24, 2010
    Great Product
    Reviewed By: Joanne (Auburn, Mi)
    I have also used this product canning Blueberry Pie Filling with excellent results. It's great to have the pie fillings on hand and when guests arrive I simple throw together an apple or blueberry crisp!

-  Thursday, April 08, 2010
    Great Product
    Reviewed By: gayle (omaha , nebraska)
    I learned of this product when I bought a new Ball canning book. I made lots of apple pie filling last fall. We just eat the apple filling as a desert and don't add the pie crust calories. I was looking for something that would be similar to the fried apples at Cracker Barrel that my husband loves. This comes close -

-  Thursday, April 08, 2010
    Makes super gravy
    Reviewed By: Eileen (Mazon, IL)
    I originally bought this to use for canning apple pie filling, but have now used most of it for gravies of all types. I always de-fat the meat juices, and usually add chicken broth for flavor and to increase the volume. The ClearJel, when dissolved in water, stirs in easily and results in a beautiful clear and glistening gravy or sauce every time! My husband loves it!

-  Monday, December 07, 2009
    Clear-Jel
    Reviewed By: V. Sinz (Anchorage, AK)
    This is an amazing product. I've used it in apple pie fillings with great success. Recently, used Clear-jel as a thickener in salmon chowder with a broth base and a minimum amount of milk to reduce fat. Results were amazing. I'll be ordering this from you regularly. Thanks for the prompt shipping. I received the product much quicker than expected.

-  Thursday, November 27, 2008
    Clear Jel-Great Product
    Reviewed By: kelly burton (Wright City, Oklahoma)
    This product was a life saver. I had never heart of clear jel canning cornstarch. We have a apple tree that produced more wonderful apples than we could eat and I wanted to try making apple pie filling and none of our local wal-marts or other canning supplie store had it so I searched the internet and found your company and I love the website and your catalogl. Thank you for your help I would recamend your web-site and catolog to everyone and your prompt shipping was great. thank you kelly burton

False

THE AMERICAN'S CREED I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people, whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a Republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect Union one and inseparable, established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots scrificed their lives and fortunes. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to suport its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect it's flag, and to defend it against all enemies. Proud member of The Daughters of The American Revolution

Most of the cream pies I freeze any more are instant pudding mixtures. It's been a long time since I have made one from scratch. I usually buy a Jello box of instant pudding flavor I desire and make it according to the directions. Then freeze it in a baked pie crust. Sometimes I have even added cream cheese base or mix it with it.  Or make a layered pudding mix of chocolate and peanutbutter  for a reeses peanutbutter taste.

As for how much water... any time you freeze anything you have a chance of something getting soggy and not geting soggy. No one has control on how much water will be added to something they freeze. Everything freezes differently, especially with different atmospheres, freezers, and storage containers.

The pies around here are enjoyed like I said before they are truly even thawed.

Thanks for the pumpkin recipe. I have one I use a lot. But wondered how to freeze them and reuse them. I knew years ago the subject was discussed on the board on how many freeze their pumpkin pies to use in time for Thanksgiving. I just have never tried it... yet!

False

Yes, you can freeze pumpkin pie. They are as good as freshly baked if eaten within two weeks in the freezer.

Try this to do it right:

www.everythingpies.com/freeze-pumpkin-pie.html

False