Do you have your Christmas Eve, Christmas Day menu planned? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Do you have your Christmas Eve, Christmas Day menu planned?

Last post Dec 16, 2011 9:49 PM by MountainMan . 22 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 12
  • Do you have your Christmas Eve, Christmas Day menu planned?

I am waiting for a phone call on who will all be here for each day.

Christmas Eve is usually appetizers and pick pack food.

Stuffed Jalepano peppers

cranberry meatballs

dynamite dogs (little weiners in a sauce...it was a recipe years ago on the boards)

vegetable tray with dip

pizza bites (it's basically pizza chopped up in little pieces to finger size eat.)

variety of crackers and cheese dip

Pop

dessert? I am still deciding on what dessert to fix.

Christmas Day

Breakfast

Cinnamon rolls and egg casserole (one you can make the day before and refrigerate and bake the next morning) with choice of cappachinos(sp?), eggnog, coffee, and orange juice

Lunch

I think I am going to make  lasagna in the slowcooker, and have green beans in another slowcooker, and a tossed salad or coleslaw for a side dish.

dessert  will be ice cream with Hot Hershey's fudge pudding cake http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/4761/Hot-Fudge-Pudding-Cake.aspx

False
  • Re: Do you have your Christmas Eve, Christmas Day menu planned?

what is pick pack food???

I have my christmas day assignment....scalloped potatoes and green beans with cranberries along with some cookies from Betty Crocker....chocolate snowballs...they sound so good...you use sugar cookie dough that is doctored up with cocoa....wrap small amounts around Hersey kisses...bake, roll in powdered sugar twice..

christmas eve....I don't cook on saturdays as a rule...but did ask husband if he wanted anything special that night...and he hasn't said anything yet....so don't know yet....LOL

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

I don't even know if we're staying home or what.  Family Christmas is on Saturday, but it's not our year to host, so no cooking there (we get the honors next year).  I will probably make Cornish game hens one of the days, but other than that we'll just wing it.

False

"Why do they make women's shampoo smell like fruit and flowers? If we want to attract men with the smell of our hair, it should smell like bacon." "...good things come to those who wait. True, but unless you're making a souffle or catching the bus, better things come to those who do something."--Amy Alkon

We never do any Christmas eve fanciness as far as dinner is concerned as it is just DH and myself. Only have one single dd who lives near us and she wil be here on Christmas along with two friends who have no one in the area. I am having ham but still haven't decided on which one I'll get. Usually it's a shank ham so we can have soup, ect. later in the week but for Christmas I am considering the Black Forest ham at Costco. More expensive but all meat, no bone but that also means no soup. But, Christmas is not about bean soup so may get the Black Forest. DD is bringing dinner rolls and rice pilaf, I am doing the ham of course, fruit salad, applesauce...can't have ham without applesauce....but don't know what to have the friends bring yet. Tossed salad or some kind of sugar free dessert as there are three diabetics and I'll make a regular pie of some kind.  Haven't thought about veggies yet either. Home made baked beans in the crockpot while we are at church maybe. As you can see, I have to get with the program!

False

I over did at Thanksgiving so for Christmas I am planning some apps.,  then for dinner a standing beef rib roast, oven roasted potatoes, and.. I don't know yet... the onion gratin and the green and orange are un decided.  I  always make to much food and to much work so will try to tone it down a bit.

False
    Carolyn U.

Yup, I've got our menus planned and the food is bought (except for the green salad stuff and I will get that either on the 23rd or the 24th) and what needed to be frozen is in the freezer and my mom is bringing the turkey breast with her tomorrow!! 

For Christmas Eve dinner, we will have Chicken Parmesan with a green salad and french bread....

I am sure we will have plenty of Zoo-Kid #2 "purple drank" cause there happens to be the two bottles of booze that it requires under the Christmas tree (only in the Zoo-House, right??) with all the Zoo-Kids' name on the gift tag.....

for breakfast Christmas morning.. there will be bacon, eggs, sausage, hashbrowns, tortillas (just in case someone wants a breakfast burrito) as well as french toast

for lunch, you are on your own and can make yourself a sandwich!!! and you can and you will clean up your mess! 

Christmas dinner we will have prime rib and/a turkey breast with (big) baked taters with sour cream and butter, stuffing - (gotta have that with turkey) a vegie or a green salad and rolls..and deviled eggs..I know Ive forgotten something - and where is my list???

I will also have a vegie tray and chip and dip stuff to munch on thru out the day too....

oh that reminds me, I need to check the good silverware and give it a good polishing!!  I also think that we will use the crystal that my Grandmother gave me.... cause I don't think she ever used it - or should I say, I don't ever remember using it when we had holiday dinners at her house...and since it is now MINE, MINE, MINE we are going to use it - very carefully!!!

False

Christmas Eve.... Crab Chowder french bread and cookies for dessert (IF I get with it and get some baked!)

Christmas morning at DD's house she cooks that one so no idea

lunch... appies at my former SIL and BIL's house

Dinner... Prime Rib (I have it ordered) loaded mashed potatoes and gravy, fresh green beans and fruit salad and rolls...

dessert blackberry and apple pies and cookies...

Then I hope they all go home so I can collapse!

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-

Teresa....I think I'll forget about cooking and drive over to your house, that is if the snow stays away.

False

Liz... you are more than welcome!!!  always room for more butts at the table!

False

Old age ain't no place for sissies . -Bette Davis-
    We normally have real casual Chhristmas Eve dinner and then a fancier/traditional dinner Christmas Day....BUT our DIL will be cooking the meal for us and I hear it's going to be a Pork Crown roast. So I'm really looking forward to it!!
    False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

ShelleyjCAA2AZ.... Pick Pack food is a term used around where I live. It means, food you can pick up with your fingers and pack into you mouth. Or pick or pack (place) on your plate, and still pack (eat or place) into your mouth. The food has to be small enough in size that you can use your (daintily...lol...not when you have men in your life...lol) fingers to handle it. Also the food needs to be sized  enough that in one or two or even three, but more one or two bites you have the food eaten and you can move onto something else.

False

justyouandme2002001...I seen you mentioned diabetics you are hosting and cooking for Christmas dinner. Did you know that "some" diabetics have to watch eating ham. It can cause fluid build up and gout in their system. The reason... one ham being in the pork category and also the salt that is in ham. I know this from a family member who loves ham and pork. But they are a diabetic and can not even dare eat any pork or ham, or they know the next day they will have swelling of fluid in their system and possible a good case of gout in their system.

False

I suppose it all depends on the individual. My DH is diabetic & has no problems with pork or ham.  No fluid retention & no gout.    Each person reacts differently as far as I've observed.           Cali

ps, no plans yet for Christmas Eve or Christmas day.  All our kids are grown &  are too far away.

False

I have a standing rib roast in the freezer but I don't know when I'll cook it. It's just us so Christmas Eve and Day is pretty much like any other day around here.

False

thanks for the info enjoy....I was wondering if it was a regional term for finger food....or appetizers etc...

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!